Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Pogue leaving NYT for ...

Re: Pogue leaving NYT for ...

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bowser
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >At least he isn't John Dvorak in another suit.

> Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Dvorak was one of the
> worst tech writers in history. My two favorite predictions of his:
>
> On line shopping will never succeed.
> The graphical user interface is DOA (after he had a chance to use a
> Mac in 1984.

you didn't really believe that, did you?

he writes to get people talking, and he succeeds.

standard protocol for talk show hosts, why not journalists too?

nospam

In article <2013102212582984492-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth. Dvorak was one of the
> >> worst tech writers in history. My two favorite predictions of his:
> >>
> >> On line shopping will never succeed.
> >> The graphical user interface is DOA (after he had a chance to use a
> >> Mac in 1984.

> > you didn't really believe that, did you?
> >
> > he writes to get people talking, and he succeeds.
> >
> > standard protocol for talk show hosts, why not journalists too?

> ...and yet he is consistently wrong.

deliberately. it's his shtick.

> He is also one of the greatest purveyors of anti-Apple F.U.D. all of
> which has been proven to be wrong.

see above.

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:02:37 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-10-22 14:43:35 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> In article <2013102212582984492-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

>>> ...and yet he is consistently wrong.

>> deliberately. it's his shtick.

>Well if he isn't serious enough about his alleged craft to give us no
>more than a "schtick", then there is no reason to take him seriously in
>any way. He wears his damaged credibility like a crown.
>
>>> He is also one of the greatest purveyors of anti-Apple F.U.D. all of
>>> which has been proven to be wrong.

>> see above.

>He isn't even correct twice a day like the proverbial stopped clock.
>Dvorak has written nothing I particularly want to read.

How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tonycooper214
@gmail.com says...

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:02:37 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
> >On 2013-10-22 14:43:35 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> deliberately. it's his shtick.

> >Well if he isn't serious enough about his alleged craft to give us no
> >more than a "schtick", then there is no reason to take him seriously in
> >any way. He wears his damaged credibility like a crown.

> >> see above.

> >He isn't even correct twice a day like the proverbial stopped clock.
> >Dvorak has written nothing I particularly want to read.

> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

He makes Ken Rockwell look like Edward R. Murrow.

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:43:04 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-10-22 20:33:01 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

>> dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

>...and Dvorak isn't?
>
>He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
>disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
>corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
>nothing he writes is trustworthy.

But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

nospam

In article <2013102220430422503-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

> > dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

> ...and Dvorak isn't?

not even remotely close.

dvorak does not make up **** because he thinks he is really a practical
joker or that his blog is really the onion. he doesn't make up stories
about nikon using whale penises in their cameras. he just writes
provocative columns designed to push people's buttons, and it obviously
works.

> He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
> disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
> corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
> nothing he writes is trustworthy.

like many journalists, then.

J. Clarke

In article <2013102220430422503-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2013-10-22 20:33:01 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> How does he compare with Ken Rockwell?

> > dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

> ...and Dvorak isn't?
>
> He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
> disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
> corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
> nothing he writes is trustworthy.

And he's _stupid_. I realized that when he was talking about this
incredible new invention, the "Chang modification" that made any
computer run ten times as fast. I knew from his description that all it
did was diddle the realtime clock so that the benchmarks reported a
false result, but he was too _stupid_ to see that until it came out
later that that was the case.

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, tonycooper214
@gmail.com says...

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:43:04 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
> >On 2013-10-22 20:33:01 -0700, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> dvorak isn't a flaming egotistical liar.

> >...and Dvorak isn't?
> >
> >He targets everything he isn't a shill for with lies and
> >disinformation, and inflates the praise he heaps on products and
> >corporations who grease his palm. He is bought and paid for, and
> >nothing he writes is trustworthy.

> But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.

Curb your mouth. John Dvorak is at best a very distant relation to
Professor August Dvorak after whom the keyboard is named.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, J. Clarke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > But my fingers fit so well on his keyboard.

> Curb your mouth. John Dvorak is at best a very distant relation to
> Professor August Dvorak after whom the keyboard is named.

and that keyboard offers no benefit.

Interesting Apple story in NYT RichA Digital Photography 0 01-27-2012 04:38 AM
NYT OldGringo38 Computer Support 0 10-09-2009 01:25 PM
NYT article - GPS tagging of digital photos Alan Browne Digital Photography 4 12-22-2004 07:36 AM
Firefox 1 NYT Advert Collector»NZ NZ Computing 6 12-17-2004 04:51 AM
Module to notify application when leaving site? Kevin Burton ASP .Net 2 11-01-2003 07:52 PM

Advertisments