Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Re: Replacement for CGI.pm

Re: Replacement for CGI.pm

Peter Makholm

Bernie Cosell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> CGI.pm is very old and I gather that its use is deprecated. Is there a
> better/newer package for handling the CGI interface between Perl and the
> web server? We use it both ways: to parse the incoming variables [and
> cookies] and to generate the outgoing HTML.

I would replace the non-HTML parts of CGI.pm with Plack.

Using the CGI handler it is easy to produce CGI scripts and it is easy
to later "upgrade" to something persistent.

Using Plack::Request and Plack::Response you get almost the same
internal features than the request handling parts of CGI.mp. At least
easy access to request parameters and cookie handling.

It been years since I have used the HTML-parts of CGI.pm. Most of the
time I would use a real template system (Template::Toolkit) and write
the HTML by hand.

For an API comparable to CGI.pm's HTML interface I think HTML::Tiny can
be used instead.

//Makholm