Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Reading sound output in Java

Reading sound output in Java

GGolf

On 10/26/2013 3:26 AM, Lew wrote:
> Joerg Meier wrote:

>>> You're contradicting yourself, or else I'm not getting you. You said "Yes" to the
>>> microphone question, but you aren't using hardware. What?

>>> I have no notion of what you mean by the "Stereo Mix" option.

>> In Windows (and. presumably, other OSs), you can record "What you hear", as
>> in, you can record whatever your speakers are playing. This is done on a
>> software level, so it works even if you have no speakers or microphones. It
>> seems to just intercept and copy the data that gets sent to the speaker
>> output. I would guess that's what he want.

> Maybe, but what he asked for was "the output that the speakers produce", not the
> signal that is input to the speakers.

Sorry for being so vague. I should have said "the signal that is input
to the speakers".

> If he wants the signal as sent to the speakers, does he want the actual electrical
> signal, decoded and turned into some file format, or does he want a copy of the
> MP3 or WAV or whatever generated that signal, or what?

I _think_ either will do.

Let me tell you the use case: I want to
(i) capture a VOIP conversation (which could be between multiple
participants, or just two participants), and
(ii) convert that to text using a speech recognizer (using one of the
various implementations of JSAPI), and
(iii) display that text on screen.

Note that this will also mean that I should be able to capture the input
to the microphone at the same time. However, if I just get the signal
that's input to the speakers, I think that would be a great beginning -
I could at least transcribe the incoming side.

> You can guess all you want, but absent the *OP* answering the question, it is only a guess.
>
> As another responder said, the question is vague, and certainly ambiguous.
>
> So, OP, how about it? Are you going to ask a good question, or give up on getting a
> good answer?

I hope I've clarified the question at least a little more, based on your
useful hints.

I also aim to try experimenting with the Java Sound API as suggested by
JensJ and others elsethread.

> The technique you use will depend on exactly what you want.

Andreas Leitgeb

GGolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Let me tell you the use case: I want to
> (i) capture a VOIP conversation (which could be between multiple
> participants, or just two participants), and
> (ii) convert that to text using a speech recognizer (using one of the
> various implementations of JSAPI), and
> (iii) display that text on screen.

Is this going to happen real-time? (I have no idea if consumer-grade
speech-to-text is fast enough for that.)

If so, I'd use a second PC (thus with independent sound system) with
a microphone & line-in(connected to a "Y"-split of the headphones' cable)
to capture both outgoing and incoming speech.
Unless you've got some very special sound hardware on the primary (VoIP
running) machine, capturing both input and output (where input isn't
itself mixed into the output) may just not be possible.

PS: note, that recording of conversations may have legal issues, so make
sure that at the start of the recording everyone involved knows it and
agrees to it. (this may not be relevant if the signal is used *only* for
speech-to-text and displaying of text, and neither text nor signal are
saved, but I'm not a lawyer.) If you were from NSA, then you probably
wouldn't need to ask here in the first place...

GGolf

On 10/26/2013 3:02 PM, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> GGolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Let me tell you the use case: I want to
>> (i) capture a VOIP conversation (which could be between multiple
>> participants, or just two participants), and
>> (ii) convert that to text using a speech recognizer (using one of the
>> various implementations of JSAPI), and
>> (iii) display that text on screen.

> Is this going to happen real-time? (I have no idea if consumer-grade
> speech-to-text is fast enough for that.)

I've seen a couple of demos where this has been done, though I guess the
participants have to speak slower than usual for the transcription to
make some sense.

> If so, I'd use a second PC (thus with independent sound system) with
> a microphone & line-in(connected to a "Y"-split of the headphones' cable)
> to capture both outgoing and incoming speech.
> Unless you've got some very special sound hardware on the primary (VoIP
> running) machine, capturing both input and output (where input isn't
> itself mixed into the output) may just not be possible.

Hmm...I think you got a point here. I remember that the Stereo Mix
option on Windows wouldn't record the input to the microphone unless you
would /play it back/ to the speakers.

> PS: note, that recording of conversations may have legal issues, so make
> sure that at the start of the recording everyone involved knows it and
> agrees to it. (this may not be relevant if the signal is used *only* for
> speech-to-text and displaying of text, and neither text nor signal are
> saved, but I'm not a lawyer.)

Only the text is going to be displayed (the user can save the transcript
if they want, but it won't go anywhere by itself).

> If you were from NSA, then you probably
> wouldn't need to ask here in the first place...

True

Andreas Leitgeb

GGolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Unless you've got some very special sound hardware on the primary (VoIP
>> running) machine, capturing both input and output (where input isn't
>> itself mixed into the output) may just not be possible.

> Hmm...I think you got a point here. I remember that the Stereo Mix
> option on Windows wouldn't record the input to the microphone unless you
> would /play it back/ to the speakers.

The core of the problem appears to be that there is only one sound-device
on a typical system, and the mixer settings are a property of that one device,
not per-process.

If the VoIP application obviously specifically requires to record only the
microphone (in order to transmit it to the parties), then another process
cannot have its own settings to record everything.

I'm not sure if you need a recording solution for yourself, or if you
intended to create a transcription add-on to be used by Joe "VoIP" User.
If it was the latter, then I fear it won't be that easy. If you create
your own VoIP client that would be a different story, and also if there
was an existing VoIP client with a decent API for plugging into the sound
stream.

Jeff Higgins

On 10/26/2013 07:45 AM, Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> GGolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Unless you've got some very special sound hardware on the primary (VoIP
>>> running) machine, capturing both input and output (where input isn't
>>> itself mixed into the output) may just not be possible.

>> Hmm...I think you got a point here. I remember that the Stereo Mix
>> option on Windows wouldn't record the input to the microphone unless you
>> would /play it back/ to the speakers.

> The core of the problem appears to be that there is only one sound-device
> on a typical system, and the mixer settings are a property of that one device,
> not per-process.
>
> If the VoIP application obviously specifically requires to record only the
> microphone (in order to transmit it to the parties), then another process
> cannot have its own settings to record everything.
>
> I'm not sure if you need a recording solution for yourself, or if you
> intended to create a transcription add-on to be used by Joe "VoIP" User.
> If it was the latter, then I fear it won't be that easy. If you create
> your own VoIP client that would be a different story, and also if there
> was an existing VoIP client with a decent API for plugging into the sound
> stream.

<http://licensing.ttu.edu/technologies/d-0205/vocal-recognition-with-speech-signal-processing-for-voice-over-ip-and-medical-transcription>

Jeff Higgins

On 10/26/2013 11:36 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:

> <http://licensing.ttu.edu/technologies/d-0205/vocal-recognition-with-speech-signal-processing-for-voice-over-ip-and-medical-transcription>

<http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~fabian/papers/oakland08.pdf>

Jeff Higgins

On 10/26/2013 04:47 AM, GGolf wrote:
> On 10/26/2013 3:26 AM, Lew wrote:
>> Joerg Meier wrote:

>>> In Windows (and. presumably, other OSs), you can record "What you
>>> hear", as
>>> in, you can record whatever your speakers are playing. This is done on a
>>> software level, so it works even if you have no speakers or
>>> microphones. It
>>> seems to just intercept and copy the data that gets sent to the speaker
>>> output. I would guess that's what he want.

>> Maybe, but what he asked for was "the output that the speakers
>> produce", not the
>> signal that is input to the speakers.

> Sorry for being so vague. I should have said "the signal that is input
> to the speakers".
>

>> If he wants the signal as sent to the speakers, does he want the
>> actual electrical
>> signal, decoded and turned into some file format, or does he want a
>> copy of the
>> MP3 or WAV or whatever generated that signal, or what?
>>

> I _think_ either will do.
>
> Let me tell you the use case: I want to
> (i) capture a VOIP conversation (which could be between multiple
> participants, or just two participants), and
> (ii) convert that to text using a speech recognizer (using one of the
> various implementations of JSAPI), and
> (iii) display that text on screen.
>
> Note that this will also mean that I should be able to capture the input
> to the microphone at the same time. However, if I just get the signal
> that's input to the speakers, I think that would be a great beginning -
> I could at least transcribe the incoming side.
>
>> You can guess all you want, but absent the *OP* answering the
>> question, it is only a guess.
>>
>> As another responder said, the question is vague, and certainly
>> ambiguous.
>>
>> So, OP, how about it? Are you going to ask a good question, or give up
>> on getting a
>> good answer?

> I hope I've clarified the question at least a little more, based on your
> useful hints.
>
> I also aim to try experimenting with the Java Sound API as suggested by
> JensJ and others elsethread.
>

>> The technique you use will depend on exactly what you want.

There may be some help around about here:
<http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/>
<http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/javadoc/edu/cmu/sphinx/tools/audio/doc-files/HowToRunAudioTool.html>

Jeff Higgins

<http://www.deweyhagborg.com/listeningPost/>