Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is it possible to type text into PDF documents?

Is it possible to type text into PDF documents?

Paul

> Thankyou for the good explanation. Now that you told me I'm familiar with seeing
> them and have even noticed a few on other things since you explained it.
>
> Did you check out any of the editting programs I mentioned in the post I made
> before the last one you replied to? If so, do you like any of them?

I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

http://www.pdfescape.com/ where I entered the url of the doc, it
brought it up, and I was able to enter text and circle things, etc.
If it's possible to download that free I might want to do it but
haven't put in the time to find out yet because I went on to look
at a few more. At: http://www.pdffiller.com/ I entered the url again
and it said it was 100% done, but didn't actually bring up the doc
like at the first place did so I don't know if it's any good or not....
maybe because of lameness on this computer and connection.
At: http://www.pdfill.com/freewriter.html and:
http://www.iskysoft.us/lp/pdf-editin...FURp7AodK0wAEA

Paul

Paul

Paul wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>> Thankyou for the good explanation. Now that you told me I'm familiar
>> with seeing
>> them and have even noticed a few on other things since you explained it.
>>
>> Did you check out any of the editting programs I mentioned in the post
>> I made
>> before the last one you replied to? If so, do you like any of them?

> I haven't had a chance to try them yet.
>
> http://www.pdfescape.com/ where I entered the url of the doc, it
> brought it up, and I was able to enter text and circle things, etc.
> If it's possible to download that free I might want to do it but
> haven't put in the time to find out yet because I went on to look
> at a few more. At: http://www.pdffiller.com/ I entered the url again
> and it said it was 100% done, but didn't actually bring up the doc
> like at the first place did so I don't know if it's any good or not....
> maybe because of lameness on this computer and connection.
> At: http://www.pdfill.com/freewriter.html and:
> http://www.iskysoft.us/lp/pdf-editin...FURp7AodK0wAEA
>
> Paul

http://www.pdfescape.com/

Worked fine. Did the Save and Download after editing, and it saved the
edits OK.

*******

http://www.pdffiller.com

Lame interface. Couldn't load a doc.

*******

http://www.pdfill.com/freewriter.html

That one appears to be some sort of printer driver,
which would take too long to test.

*******

The iskysoft.us one, I downloaded, and at least the virustotal scan
is clean. It would take time to test that in a VM, for safety.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4...ac48/analysis/

For casual usage, your first one looks like a winner!

Paul

meagain

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I downloaded a job application in PDF format and if possible would like to fill
> it out nice and pretty using the computer. For a second I thought it would be
> possible because when I clicked in a space with the cursor the blinking line
> thing came up like it would be able to start entering text, but tapping keys on
> the keyboard didn't do anything. Also I found that the blinking thing can be put
> in some spots, but not in every place I tried to put it. Is there a way to do
> it, and if so how much freedom is there regarding font size and style?
>
> Thanks,
> Mookie

There are several types of PDF files:
ftp://ftp.scansoft.com/products/pdfc..._WhatisPDF.pdf

Normal,
Image (cannot type into that!)
True
Wrapped
PDF Image + Text
PDF-wrapped TIFF

Mr. Man-wai Chang

> I downloaded a job application in PDF format and if possible would like to fill
> it out nice and pretty using the computer. For a second I thought it would be
> possible because when I clicked in a space with the cursor the blinking line
> thing came up like it would be able to start entering text, but tapping keys on
> the keyboard didn't do anything. Also I found that the blinking thing can be put
> in some spots, but not in every place I tried to put it. Is there a way to do
> it, and if so how much freedom is there regarding font size and style?

You should ask the author of the PDF to make changes for you!

PDFs were supposed to be **PUBLISHED** documents. Readers should not
have the ability to change them!!

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

meagain

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 18/10/2013 4:34 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I downloaded a job application in PDF format and if possible would like to fill
>> it out nice and pretty using the computer. For a second I thought it would be
>> possible because when I clicked in a space with the cursor the blinking line
>> thing came up like it would be able to start entering text, but tapping keys on
>> the keyboard didn't do anything. Also I found that the blinking thing can be put
>> in some spots, but not in every place I tried to put it. Is there a way to do
>> it, and if so how much freedom is there regarding font size and style?

> You should ask the author of the PDF to make changes for you!
>
> PDFs were supposed to be **PUBLISHED** documents. Readers should not have the ability
> to change them!!

Almost, but today some PDF files are FORMS intended to be filled in by 'readers'.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 26/10/2013 4:14 AM, meagain wrote:
> Almost, but today some PDF files are FORMS intended to be filled in by
> 'readers'.

I guess that's what made secured PDFs vulnerable...

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 19 i686) Linux 3.11.4-201.fc19.i686
^ ^ 22:27:02 up 4 days 12:21 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05

VanguardLH

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> On 26/10/2013 4:14 AM, meagain wrote:
>> Almost, but today some PDF files are FORMS intended to be filled in by
>> 'readers'.
>>

> I guess that's what made secured PDFs vulnerable...

It was supporting Javascript (can be disabled) which is used to validate
that input is the correct type, like only numbers going into a telephone
field. Adobe decided to allow PDFs to carry a payload. That is you can
attach another file to a PDF, and it doesn't have to be another PDF
file. It could be executable. On loading a PDF, there is a "feature"
of to run a "launch" action.

In PDFxchange Viewer, I configured it as follows:
- Disable Javascript. I have yet to deal with a PDF with forms or those
that mandate validation of entry into fields. YMMV.
- Disallow any non-PDF attachments.
- Disable launch actions.

These were available as user-configurable options in PDFxchange Viewer
long before they showed up in Adobe's Reader. I believe (but don't use
so cannot substantiate) that Adobe finally got around to adding security
options for these features.