Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > CS0006: Metadata file "../bin/WebApplication1.dll" could not be found

CS0006: Metadata file "../bin/WebApplication1.dll" could not be found

John Doe

Hi,

I've got the following error when building my ASP.NET application called
WebApplication1:

Preparing resources...
Updating references...
Performing main compilation...
error CS0006: Metadata file
'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\bin\WebApplica tion1.dll' could not be
found
Build complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings

I cannot Rebuild the whole application, just Build seems to work. My
breakpoints are not hit all the time in the debugger and I suspect something
is really wrong with the build. Therefore, I do need to rebuild the whole
solution.

In the Solution Explorer I see a reference to webapplication1 - I imagine
this is normal, although I don't perfectly understand my WebApplication1
project has a reference to itself...

I've been looking on the web for possible solutions, but the only thing I
found had something to do with gacutil, which I think doesn't apply in my
case. WebApplication1.dll does not exist in the bin directory when I try to
rebuild (being the cause of the error), so how could I register it in the
GAC? And would I then have to update the GAC everytime my assembly changes?

Can somebody please help me out?

Thank you.

Scott Allen

Try removing the assembly reference to WebApplication1.dll and then
rebuilding.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:38:01 +1300, "John Doe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've got the following error when building my ASP.NET application called
>WebApplication1:
>
>Preparing resources...
>Updating references...
>Performing main compilation...
>error CS0006: Metadata file
>'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\bin\WebApplic ation1.dll' could not be
>found
>Build complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
>
>I cannot Rebuild the whole application, just Build seems to work. My
>breakpoints are not hit all the time in the debugger and I suspect something
>is really wrong with the build. Therefore, I do need to rebuild the whole
>solution.
>
>In the Solution Explorer I see a reference to webapplication1 - I imagine
>this is normal, although I don't perfectly understand my WebApplication1
>project has a reference to itself...
>
>I've been looking on the web for possible solutions, but the only thing I
>found had something to do with gacutil, which I think doesn't apply in my
>case. WebApplication1.dll does not exist in the bin directory when I try to
>rebuild (being the cause of the error), so how could I register it in the
>GAC? And would I then have to update the GAC everytime my assembly changes?
>
>Can somebody please help me out?
>
>Thank you.

John Doe

Thanks that seems to work, however is it safe to drop the reference
completely, or is it worth restoring it now?

"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try removing the assembly reference to WebApplication1.dll and then
> rebuilding.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:38:01 +1300, "John Doe"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've got the following error when building my ASP.NET application called
>>WebApplication1:
>>
>>Preparing resources...
>>Updating references...
>>Performing main compilation...
>>error CS0006: Metadata file
>>'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\bin\WebAppli cation1.dll' could not be
>>found
>>Build complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
>>
>>I cannot Rebuild the whole application, just Build seems to work. My
>>breakpoints are not hit all the time in the debugger and I suspect
>>something
>>is really wrong with the build. Therefore, I do need to rebuild the whole
>>solution.
>>
>>In the Solution Explorer I see a reference to webapplication1 - I imagine
>>this is normal, although I don't perfectly understand my WebApplication1
>>project has a reference to itself...
>>
>>I've been looking on the web for possible solutions, but the only thing I
>>found had something to do with gacutil, which I think doesn't apply in my
>>case. WebApplication1.dll does not exist in the bin directory when I try
>>rebuild (being the cause of the error), so how could I register it in the
>>GAC? And would I then have to update the GAC everytime my assembly
>>changes?
>>
>>Can somebody please help me out?
>>
>>Thank you.

Scott Allen

It is safe to drop the reference. A web app shouldn't have a reference
to itself - that must have been a mistake when it made it into the
project.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:56:33 +1300, "John Doe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks that seems to work, however is it safe to drop the reference
>completely, or is it worth restoring it now?
>
>"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Try removing the assembly reference to WebApplication1.dll and then
>> rebuilding.
>>
>> --
>> Scott
>> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:38:01 +1300, "John Doe"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've got the following error when building my ASP.NET application called
>>>WebApplication1:
>>>
>>>Preparing resources...
>>>Updating references...
>>>Performing main compilation...
>>>error CS0006: Metadata file
>>>'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\bin\WebAppl ication1.dll' could not be
>>>found
>>>Build complete -- 1 errors, 0 warnings
>>>
>>>I cannot Rebuild the whole application, just Build seems to work. My
>>>breakpoints are not hit all the time in the debugger and I suspect
>>>something
>>>is really wrong with the build. Therefore, I do need to rebuild the whole
>>>solution.
>>>
>>>In the Solution Explorer I see a reference to webapplication1 - I imagine
>>>this is normal, although I don't perfectly understand my WebApplication1
>>>project has a reference to itself...
>>>
>>>I've been looking on the web for possible solutions, but the only thing I
>>>found had something to do with gacutil, which I think doesn't apply in my
>>>case. WebApplication1.dll does not exist in the bin directory when I try
>>>rebuild (being the cause of the error), so how could I register it in the
>>>GAC? And would I then have to update the GAC everytime my assembly
>>>changes?
>>>
>>>Can somebody please help me out?
>>>
>>>Thank you.

John Doe

I didn't explicitly add the reference, it probably got added when I added my
Web custom control to the Toolbox.
It is quite common to add a toolbox item for custom controls implemented in
your current application, which makes me think Visual Studio should have
detected that.

"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is safe to drop the reference. A web app shouldn't have a reference
> to itself - that must have been a mistake when it made it into the
> project.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:56:33 +1300, "John Doe"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks that seems to work, however is it safe to drop the reference
>>completely, or is it worth restoring it now?
>>
>>"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Try removing the assembly reference to WebApplication1.dll and then
>>> rebuilding.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Scott
>>> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

John Doe

I didn't explicitly add the reference, it probably got added when I added my
Web custom control to the Toolbox.
It is quite common to add a toolbox item for custom controls implemented in
your current application, which makes me think Visual Studio should have
detected that.

"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is safe to drop the reference. A web app shouldn't have a reference
> to itself - that must have been a mistake when it made it into the
> project.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:56:33 +1300, "John Doe"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks that seems to work, however is it safe to drop the reference
>>completely, or is it worth restoring it now?
>>
>>"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Try removing the assembly reference to WebApplication1.dll and then
>>> rebuilding.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Scott
>>> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

Scott Allen

Yes, by mistake I meant to say "one of those strange IDE moments".

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/