Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > At the zoo

At the zoo

Robert Coe

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:31:31 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 10/17/2013 10:31 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
: > wrote:
: > : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
: > : > PeterN wrote:
: > : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
: > : >>
: > : >>
: > : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
: > : >>
: > : >
: > : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
: > : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
: > : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
: > : >
: > : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
: > : >
: > : > Mort Linder
: > :
: > : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
: > : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
: > : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
: > : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
: > : They also are meat hunters.
: > : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
: > :
: > : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
: > : of our genes in common.
: > : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
: > : They don't make good pets.
: >
: > They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few
: > years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good friends.
: > (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if the
: > chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
: > between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.
: >
: > But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.
: >
: > Bob
: >
:
: Indeed A few years ago a toddler fell into a gorilla enclosure. One of
: the females picked it up, cuddled it, and would not let any of the other
: gorillas near it. The whole story ended quite well. I don't recall what
: the keepers did, but they got unharmed the toddler back.

PeterN

On 10/18/2013 4:56 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
> "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
>> : > PeterN wrote:
>> : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
>> : >>
>> : >>
>> : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
>> : >>
>> : >
>> : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or
>> mating,
>> : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King
>> Kong
>> : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
>> : >
>> : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
>> : >
>> : > Mort Linder
>> :
>> : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
>> : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
>> : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
>> : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
>> : They also are meat hunters.
>> : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
>> :
>> : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
>> : of our genes in common.
>> : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
>> : They don't make good pets.
>>
>> They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few
>> years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good
>> friends.
>> (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if
>> the
>> chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
>> between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.
>>
>> But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.
>>

> I have a friend who had a chimp as a pet many years ago. From the stories
> he tells, they definitely are not very good pets at all. Stories of the
> chimp climbing the curtains and wrecking havoc on the living room were the
> norm. lol.

my guess is that your friend had very little glassware.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 10/18/2013 6:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-10-18 14:04:40 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/18/2013 4:31 PM, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoŽlle wrote:
>>> Le 18/10/13 04:31, Robert Coe a ťcrit :

>>> But halas, the opposite is far too common.
>>>
>>> NoŽlle Adam

>> And for no good reason.

> Those who would protect them have also been subject to violence by
> poachers.
> I would give you the story of Diane Fossey and numerous park rangers
> murdered by gorilla poachers. These individuals trap the apes with wire
> snares and harvest paws & heads, and will murder, or conspire to murder,
> those who try to protect the gorillas.
>
> < https://awionline.org/awi-quarterly/...er-mist-solved >
> < http://www.wwf.org.uk/wwf_articles.cfm?unewsid=5315 >
> <
> http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...rtrait-475.jpg
>

> <
> http://ens-newswire.com/2012/10/25/e...-park-rangers/

There is an old African saying, that when elephants fight, the grass
gets crushed. If this case it's the innocent people and the gorillas who
suffer. I can understand why those starving people are willing to do
almost any kind of work, just to stay alive. It's not an easy problem to
solve.

--
PeterN

: > : > PeterN wrote:
[...]

That's actually happened more than once. In each case one of the gorillas
picked up the child and carried him/her to the enclosure's entrance and handed
him to a zoo worker. That's not the best thing to do in such a case; EMTs
prefer not to have the victim moved, in case there are broken bones or
internal injuries. But the gorillas don't know this and think they're being
helpful.

Bob

Tim Conway

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10/18/2013 4:56 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
>> "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>> : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
>>> : > PeterN wrote:
>>> : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
>>> : >>
>>> : >>
>>> : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
>>> : >>
>>> : >
>>> : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or
>>> mating,
>>> : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King
>>> Kong
>>> : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
>>> : >
>>> : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
>>> : >
>>> : > Mort Linder
>>> :
>>> : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
>>> : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
>>> : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
>>> : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
>>> : They also are meat hunters.
>>> : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
>>> :
>>> : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about
>>> 96%
>>> : of our genes in common.
>>> : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
>>> : They don't make good pets.
>>>
>>> They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a
>>> few
>>> years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good
>>> friends.
>>> (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if
>>> the
>>> chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
>>> between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.
>>>
>>> But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.
>>>

>> I have a friend who had a chimp as a pet many years ago. From the
>> stories
>> he tells, they definitely are not very good pets at all. Stories of the
>> chimp climbing the curtains and wrecking havoc on the living room were
>> the
>> norm. lol.
>>

> my guess is that your friend had very little glassware.

Yep. He likened it to having a two year old that never grew up.

Whisky-dave

On Friday, 18 October 2013 21:56:55 UTC+1, Tim Conway wrote:
> "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > wrote:

> > : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:

> > : > PeterN wrote:

> > : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy

> > : >>

> > : >>

> > : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

> > : >>

> > : >

> > : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or

> > mating,

> > : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King

> > Kong

> > : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.

> > : >

> > : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.

> > : >

> > : > Mort Linder

> > :

> > : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are

> > : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and

> > : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will

> > : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.

> > : They also are meat hunters.

> > : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>

> > :

> > : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%

> > : of our genes in common.

> > : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.

> > : They don't make good pets.

> > They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few

> > years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good

> > friends.

> > (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if

> > the

> > chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten

> > between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.

> > But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.

> I have a friend who had a chimp as a pet many years ago. From the stories
>
> he tells, they definitely are not very good pets at all. Stories of the
>
> chimp climbing the curtains and wrecking havoc on the living room were the
>
> norm. lol.

I've heard some human kids aren't much better.

PeterN

On 10/21/2013 8:33 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Friday, 18 October 2013 21:56:55 UTC+1, Tim Conway wrote:

<snip>

>> I have a friend who had a chimp as a pet many years ago. From the stories
>>
>> he tells, they definitely are not very good pets at all. Stories of the
>>
>> chimp climbing the curtains and wrecking havoc on the living room were the
>>
>> norm. lol.

> I've heard some human kids aren't much better.

I blame the parents for that. We dine out several times a week, and try
to stay away from the "family friendly" places.
It is not unusual for some kid to start acting up, and running around,
just disturbing everybody, else. When my kids misbehaved in a
restaurant, our they went. They learned quickly. Too many parents today
think it's cute, for a kid to start yelling.
One time n a sushi bar, some kid started rolling his play car down the
bar. I told the kid to go back to his table. The kid said his parents
told him to roll his car on the sushi bar. That same kid had locked the
door of the restaurant so nobody could get in. While it was the sort of
thing many kids might do, if my parents caught me doing it, that would
have been the last time.

--
PeterN