Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > At the zoo

At the zoo

PeterN

foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy

<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

--
PeterN

Mort

PeterN wrote:
> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
>

> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.

As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.

Mort Linder

Tim Conway

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
>

> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
and probably won't hurt you.

PeterN

On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
> PeterN wrote:
>> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
>>

>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
>>

> As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
> are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
> gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
>
> As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
>
> Mort Linder

We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
They also are meat hunters.
<http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>

iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
of our genes in common.
Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
They don't make good pets.
--
PeterN

PeterN

On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
>>

>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
>>

> Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
> somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
> in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
> and probably won't hurt you.

In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm you
unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.
I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his expression.
He had just finished munching on a leaf.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 10/16/2013 5:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-10-16 14:02:27 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
>>> are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
>>> gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
>>>
>>> As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
>>>
>>> Mort Linder

>> We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
>> omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
>> slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
>> try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
>> They also are meat hunters.
>> <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
>>
>> iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about
>> 96% of our genes in common.
>> Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
>> They don't make good pets.

> Ditto, baboons. None of these primates should ever be considered as
> pets. The only reason they should be in zoos is to ensure against
> extinction.

But baboon babies are so cute! This one was just afew days old.
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/baboon%20nursing2.jpg>

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 10/16/2013 5:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-10-16 14:11:10 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
>>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
>>> somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold
>>> your arms
>>> in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and
>>> peaceableness
>>> and probably won't hurt you.
>>>

>> In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm
>> you unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.
>> I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his
>> expression. He had just finished munching on a leaf.

> Sometimes your choice of words just cracks me up.
> In this case it is "pervasive". Could you possibly have meant to type
> "perceive"?

Yup! Mea Culpa!

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:11:10 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
>>>

>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
>>>

>> Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
>> somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
>> in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
>> and probably won't hurt you.
>>

>In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm you
>unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.

The most harmful thing I ever encountered scuba diving was fire coral.

>I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his expression.
>He had just finished munching on a leaf.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

PeterN

On 10/16/2013 6:07 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:11:10 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
>>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
>>> somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
>>> in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
>>> and probably won't hurt you.
>>>

>> In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm you
>> unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.

> The most harmful thing I ever encountered scuba diving was fire coral.

I tried to take pictures of barracuda, but they kept turning away. A
school of bluefish once bit my regulator, while his friends were
chomping on my wetsuit.

>> I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his expression.
>> He had just finished munching on a leaf.

I know someone who had 33 stitches when he was bitten by a blue shark.
The dummy tried to use it as a horse.

--
PeterN

J. Clarke

In article <2013101614563125228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2013-10-16 14:51:46 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> >> Ditto, baboons. None of these primates should ever be considered as
> >> pets. The only reason they should be in zoos is to ensure against
> >> extinction.
> >>

> > But baboon babies are so cute! This one was just afew days old.
> > <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/baboon%20nursing2.jpg>

> Then perhaps you might like a kiss from this one?
> < http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3157/2...43c4f4c6_o.jpg >

Tiger babies are cute too. They'll still eat you when they grow up,
some of them anyway.