Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > LogMeIn..

LogMeIn..

Paul

Robert Baer wrote:
> I had a large slowdown on my computer lasting for maybe a week and i
> finally got tired of it.
> So i ran ProcessExplorer and found 2 entries for Avast "Critical
> Update" running, and let it run alone..after an hour it was still going!
> Could not kill either entry.
> Called Avast tech support and they had me load a remote access prog
> called LogMeIn; they wound up forcing a regular update, and that solved
> the problem.
> On exit, it is supposed to wipe itself - and it did remove itself from
> the HD, but on power down/power up the damn thing came up.
> Used good old RegCleaner to remove entries (BTW,there was a companion
> one for Google) which solved that garbage.
> So, i decided to be a bit aggressive and search for all versions of it
> on the HD and in the registry.
> Upshot is that there are a number of entries in the registry that
> start LEGACY_LMIRESCUE that refuse to be removed.
> How can i RIP them out?

Registry entries can have "permissions" assigned to them.

I've only ever seen that once, perhaps on Windows 7. I don't
think it is quite as common on the older OSes.

Paul

Robert Baer

[...]

tony sayer

In article <4667u.18125$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Baer
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
> I had a large slowdown on my computer lasting for maybe a week and i
>finally got tired of it.
> So i ran ProcessExplorer and found 2 entries for Avast "Critical
>Update" running, and let it run alone..after an hour it was still going!
> Could not kill either entry.
> Called Avast tech support and they had me load a remote access prog
>called LogMeIn; they wound up forcing a regular update, and that solved
>the problem.
> On exit, it is supposed to wipe itself - and it did remove itself
>from the HD, but on power down/power up the damn thing came up.
> Used good old RegCleaner to remove entries (BTW,there was a companion
>one for Google) which solved that garbage.
> So, i decided to be a bit aggressive and search for all versions of
>it on the HD and in the registry.
> Upshot is that there are a number of entries in the registry that
>start LEGACY_LMIRESCUE that refuse to be removed.
> How can i RIP them out?

Try CCleaner ...

formerly known as crap cleaner they have a REG clearout facility..

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
--
Tony Sayer

Robert Baer

tony sayer wrote:
> In article<4667u.18125$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Baer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>> I had a large slowdown on my computer lasting for maybe a week and i
>> finally got tired of it.
>> So i ran ProcessExplorer and found 2 entries for Avast "Critical
>> Update" running, and let it run alone..after an hour it was still going!
>> Could not kill either entry.
>> Called Avast tech support and they had me load a remote access prog
>> called LogMeIn; they wound up forcing a regular update, and that solved
>> the problem.
>> On exit, it is supposed to wipe itself - and it did remove itself
>>from the HD, but on power down/power up the damn thing came up.
>> Used good old RegCleaner to remove entries (BTW,there was a companion
>> one for Google) which solved that garbage.
>> So, i decided to be a bit aggressive and search for all versions of
>> it on the HD and in the registry.
>> Upshot is that there are a number of entries in the registry that
>> start LEGACY_LMIRESCUE that refuse to be removed.
>> How can i RIP them out?

> Try CCleaner ...
>
> formerly known as crap cleaner they have a REG clearout facility..
>
> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Useless, demands XP or "better".
I run and use Win2K, and it may be another 5 years before i
"upgrade", if ever.
I like the way Win98Se and Win2K present things without hiding
programs and hiding services (after proper "unhide" box checking).
I also like the smaller desktop icons (i use roughly 70 shortcuts),
and the fact that Win2K supports all functions of my 5+ year old
motherboard; XP does NOT support the Ethernet on-board port (being
SLIGHTLY important), the video capture card is not supported in XP, and
the sound also is not supported.

tony sayer

In article <NSf7u.51902$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Baer
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>tony sayer wrote:
>> In article<4667u.18125$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Baer
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>> I had a large slowdown on my computer lasting for maybe a week and i
>>> finally got tired of it.
>>> So i ran ProcessExplorer and found 2 entries for Avast "Critical
>>> Update" running, and let it run alone..after an hour it was still going!
>>> Could not kill either entry.
>>> Called Avast tech support and they had me load a remote access prog
>>> called LogMeIn; they wound up forcing a regular update, and that solved
>>> the problem.
>>> On exit, it is supposed to wipe itself - and it did remove itself
>>>from the HD, but on power down/power up the damn thing came up.
>>> Used good old RegCleaner to remove entries (BTW,there was a companion
>>> one for Google) which solved that garbage.
>>> So, i decided to be a bit aggressive and search for all versions of
>>> it on the HD and in the registry.
>>> Upshot is that there are a number of entries in the registry that
>>> start LEGACY_LMIRESCUE that refuse to be removed.
>>> How can i RIP them out?

>> Try CCleaner ...
>>
>> formerly known as crap cleaner they have a REG clearout facility..
>>
>> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

> Useless, demands XP or "better".

Soz!, I thought we were the last people using WIN2K which is on a remote
rarely used machine and good it was too!..

> I run and use Win2K, and it may be another 5 years before i
>"upgrade", if ever.
> I like the way Win98Se and Win2K present things without hiding
>programs and hiding services (after proper "unhide" box checking).
> I also like the smaller desktop icons (i use roughly 70 shortcuts),
>and the fact that Win2K supports all functions of my 5+ year old
>motherboard; XP does NOT support the Ethernet on-board port (being
>SLIGHTLY important), the video capture card is not supported in XP, and
>the sound also is not supported.

Tell you what I was thinking like that till I used WIN 7 and configured
it to look a bit like WIN 2K and really its a decent programme about the
best that Microsoft have done. Can't say the same for Vista ME and 8 but
7 is very good. XP isn't really much use these days when 7 does all it
could and more. Prolly might have to invest in a newer machine but you
can make your own for a couple of hundred and a bit quid.....

--
Tony Sayer

Robert Baer

tony sayer wrote:
> In article<NSf7u.51902$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Baer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>> tony sayer wrote:
>>> In article<4667u.18125$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Baer
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>>
>>> Try CCleaner ...
>>>
>>> formerly known as crap cleaner they have a REG clearout facility..
>>>
>>> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

>> Useless, demands XP or "better".

> Soz!, I thought we were the last people using WIN2K which is on a remote
> rarely used machine and good it was too!..
>
>> I run and use Win2K, and it may be another 5 years before i
>> "upgrade", if ever.
>> I like the way Win98Se and Win2K present things without hiding
>> programs and hiding services (after proper "unhide" box checking).
>> I also like the smaller desktop icons (i use roughly 70 shortcuts),
>> and the fact that Win2K supports all functions of my 5+ year old
>> motherboard; XP does NOT support the Ethernet on-board port (being
>> SLIGHTLY important), the video capture card is not supported in XP, and
>> the sound also is not supported.

> Tell you what I was thinking like that till I used WIN 7 and configured
> it to look a bit like WIN 2K and really its a decent programme about the
> best that Microsoft have done. Can't say the same for Vista ME and 8 but
> 7 is very good. XP isn't really much use these days when 7 does all it
> could and more. Prolly might have to invest in a newer machine but you
> can make your own for a couple of hundred and a bit quid.....

THAT is good to know..
So, would you be so kind as to give eXplicit instructions as how you
twisted Win7's arm to look like Win2K?
I tried it a few times,and once i fiddled around with the MB drivers
and got severe complaints, but even tho Win7 implied that it did not
accept them, most everything worked.
Did have to attempt install twice for that..
Do not want to waste my time and $$ on a newer MB, as anything made
after what i have does NOT support PATA and i have hundreds of dollars
worth of PATA drives from 40Gb up; stupid of me to toss them all.

tony sayer

>> Tell you what I was thinking like that till I used WIN 7 and configured
>> it to look a bit like WIN 2K and really its a decent programme about the
>> best that Microsoft have done. Can't say the same for Vista ME and 8 but
>> 7 is very good. XP isn't really much use these days when 7 does all it
>> could and more. Prolly might have to invest in a newer machine but you
>> can make your own for a couple of hundred and a bit quid.....
>>

> THAT is good to know..
> So, would you be so kind as to give eXplicit instructions as how you
>twisted Win7's arm to look like Win2K?

Can't remember now quite but it was go into the personalise option and
use classic windows and then set the background colour, set the folder
text labels to white and I think there was one small other thing/s re
appearances but the start button opens all of the program options and I
re-sized the folder's a bit but all in I'd say it looks better than what
WIN 2K did!...

> I tried it a few times,and once i fiddled around with the MB drivers
>and got severe complaints, but even tho Win7 implied that it did not
>accept them, most everything worked.

You shouldn't have to alter any drivers!..

> Did have to attempt install twice for that..
> Do not want to waste my time and $$ on a newer MB, as anything made
>after what i have does NOT support PATA and i have hundreds of dollars
>worth of PATA drives from 40Gb up; stupid of me to toss them all.

Well same here but as time goes by they are less and less useful. I've
got no end of sticks of memory from 32 MB upwards. I'll never use them,
a stack of old 40 Meg or less disks and the other day bought a 1 TB one
for 44 UKP inc VAT tax for the wife and I doubt she'll fill that for
ages yet!

In fact most all of it is just taking up space all down to it might come
in useful oneday;!..
--
Tony Sayer