Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Why is there no "runtime" allowed in the ASP.NET web.config

Why is there no "runtime" allowed in the ASP.NET web.config

=?Utf-8?B?aW5ldG11Zw==?=

I would like my ASP.NET apps to pick up there associated assembly references
at runtime but I do not see a runtime tag in the web.config schema, or am I
wrong?

--
Patrick

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I'm not sure I understand why you need this functionality, aren't assembly
references imported into your application at compile time? If i missed the
mark, please let me know...

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ http://www.lulu.com/owc

"inetmug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like my ASP.NET apps to pick up there associated assembly
>references
> at runtime but I do not see a runtime tag in the web.config schema, or am
> wrong?
>

> --
> Patrick

Scott Allen

Are you looking for the compilation element?

<configuration>
<compilation>
<assemblies>
<add assembly="System.Data, Version=1.0.2411.0,
Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
</assemblies>
</compilation>
</configuration>

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:03:01 -0800, "inetmug"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like my ASP.NET apps to pick up there associated assembly references
>at runtime but I do not see a runtime tag in the web.config schema, or am I
>wrong?

=?Utf-8?B?aW5ldG11Zw==?=

Yes, references are there via the project at compile time. However, my
question is more focused on deployment and runtime.

I would like to direct my assembly references at runtime for referenced
components. This is in addition to the compilation tag. The compilation
tag, if I understand this correctly, is there to direct the compilation of
pages when they are first accessed.

There is a "runtime" available in a normal app.config, but unless I am
missiing something this tag is not included in the web.config schema.

"Alvin Bruney [MVP]" wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand why you need this functionality, aren't assembly
> references imported into your application at compile time? If i missed the
> mark, please let me know...
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>
> [Shameless Author plug]
> Now Available @ http://www.lulu.com/owc
>

> "inetmug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I would like my ASP.NET apps to pick up there associated assembly
> >references
> > at runtime but I do not see a runtime tag in the web.config schema, or am
> > wrong?
> >

> > --
> > Patrick

=?Utf-8?B?aW5ldG11Zw==?=

Scott, see my previous reply to Alvin. This is not the same tag...

"Scott Allen" wrote:

> Are you looking for the compilation element?
>
> <configuration>
> <compilation>
> <assemblies>
> <add assembly="System.Data, Version=1.0.2411.0,
> Culture=neutral,
> PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
> </assemblies>
> </compilation>
> </configuration>
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:03:01 -0800, "inetmug"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I would like my ASP.NET apps to pick up there associated assembly references
> >at runtime but I do not see a runtime tag in the web.config schema, or am I
> >wrong?

Scott Allen

You can also add a runtime element - it is not in the system.web
schema but it is in the outer configuration schema. See:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PermaL...432c98dbe.aspx
for an example.

--
Scott