Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Apple's overpriced, cut-rate PLASTIC iPhone not doing so well

Apple's overpriced, cut-rate PLASTIC iPhone not doing so well

PeterN

On 10/18/2013 11:20 PM, RichA wrote:

> [...]
>
> "What are they supposed to do, add wings and make it fly?" asked Colin Gillis, senior tech analyst at BCG Financial. "It's a tablet. There's only so much you can upgrade."
>
> During Apple's fiscal third quarter, which ended in June, iPad sales fell to $6.3 billion -- a 27% drop over last year. But this year, Apple didn't get a boost from a new version of the tablet. The company released a new iPad in March 2012, while the fourth-generation iPad came out in November. Even though last quarter's iPad sales were weak, tablet revenue jumped 40% and 22% in the prior two quarters.
>
> More striking is the fact that Apple no longer dominates in tablets. Apple's global tablet market share currently stands at 32%, down from 60% a year ago, according to IDC.
>
> That's because rivals are taking advantage of Apple's lack of major updates: The tablet market share controlled by Samsung, Acer and Lenovo tripled last quarter from the previous year. That kind of wild changing of the guards is common for markets that are in their infancy -- but it still isn't particularly good news for Apple.
>
> Although the iPhone gets the lion's share of Apple hype, the iPad is still extremely important to the company's overall business.
>
> "The iPad is the company's second-largest revenue stream, so you definitely can't discount it," said Gillis.
>
> Related story: Verizon: Apple has an iPhone supply problem
>
> And there is still a strong growth opportunity for the iPad, via the smaller iPad mini.
> Apple stores to get a shot of high-style
> Apple stores to get a shot of high-style
>
> Apple is also expected to update the iPad mini on Tuesday, giving it a much more robust upgrade. Most notably, the mini tablet is expected to get a Retina display, significantly upgrading the resolution of its screen.
>
> The "mini" category of tablets that includes the iPad Mini, Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) Kindle Fire and Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) Nexus 7 is primed for skyrocketing growth, analysts believe.
>
> "The seven-inch is absolutely dominant right now, and we expect it to stay that way for some time," said IHS iSuppli tablet market analyst Rhoda Alexander.
>
> Tablets with screens smaller than eight inches accounted for only about a quarter of the tablet market in 2011, according to IHS, but the consultancy predicts the category will take a majority 55% share this year and grow to 57% by 2017.
>
> Meanwhile, medium-sized tablets like the iPad are expected to fall to a 37% share in 2017.
>
> "Apple caught a lot of heat for launching the iPad Mini, with critics saying the low end isn't where the competition is," Alexander said. "But they've overcome the naysayers pretty quickly." To top of page

Your hyperbole is ridiculous. I don't understand why you do it. Any
product that is first on the market, will see it's market share decline
as competing products come on the market. We call it "healthy competition."

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 10/19/2013 10:34 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

> To be sure there is a lot of iThing fatigue. An iPad from 2 years ago
> is still a nifty, fast machine. OTOH, they sole a lot more iPhone 5S's
> than anyone predicted - so you never know.

iPads can even be used for shoes?

--
PeterN

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > in other words, apple is selling all they can make.

> Well...selling more of the expensive one might be better for them anyway.

nothing wrong with that, but these claims of cutting production are
bullshit and more analysts talking out their ass. they consistently get
it wrong.

> By Clare Jim and Paul Carsten
>
> TAIPEI/BEIJING | Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48pm EDT
>
> (Reuters) - Apple Inc is cutting production orders for its plastic-backed
> iPhone 5C a month after launch, a source familiar with its supply chain said
> on Wednesday, fueling speculation the cheaper model of its main gadget may
> have been priced too high.

the only source familiar with apple's supply chain is apple itself and
they ain't talking.

second guessing apple's supply chain is almost always wrong.

the iphone 5c is the second best selling phone on at&t and sprint and
third on verizon and t-mobile. why would they need to cut production?

and who cares if they do? maybe they misjudged it. maybe they didn't.

nobody cares when other companies cut production.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> IPad sales are slumping, and Apple's share of the tablet market is in a
> tailspin.

more bullshit.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > IPad sales are slumping, and Apple's share of the tablet market is in
> > a tailspin.

> Tailspin? They sold 6M of the things in the last quarter. The current
> quarter will be less because they are about to release new models.

it's anything but a tailspin.

check back in 2 weeks at the earnings call when they give an actual
number.

> [side note: Apple report sales to end customers; the other co's report
> shipped units w/o regard to how long those units may linger on shelves].

try telling that to gene munster, who claimed apple didn't actually
sell 9 million phones.

he predicted 5 million to be sold on opening weekend, so when apple
sold nearly twice that he had to make up an excuse for being so far
off, saying half of those were sold to carriers and sitting in a
warehouse.

PeterN

On 10/19/2013 5:11 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:10:06 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 10/19/2013 10:34 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
>>

>>> To be sure there is a lot of iThing fatigue. An iPad from 2 years ago
>>> is still a nifty, fast machine. OTOH, they sole a lot more iPhone 5S's
>>> than anyone predicted - so you never know.

>> iPads can even be used for shoes?

> I think he was floundering when he wrote that sentence.

You can't filet an iPad. They are not made to open easily.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 10/19/2013 5:20 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2013.10.19 17:11 , Eric Stevens wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:10:06 -0400, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> iPads can even be used for shoes?

>> I think he was floundering when he wrote that sentence.

> You're all skating.

Perhaps you were thinking iPada are made in Korea.

--
PeterN