Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Keeping up with the times

Keeping up with the times

richard

After trying out several flash players, I have concluced that the problem I
was having with others not getting audio, was just not my problem.
As the audio worked in other browsers, including opera, I decided to remove
the useless thing.

Then again, it could be the fact that browser authors are not maintaining
the technology and not implementing that correctly.

JJ

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 23:51:47 -0400, richard wrote:
> After trying out several flash players, I have concluced that the problem I
> was having with others not getting audio, was just not my problem.
> As the audio worked in other browsers, including opera, I decided to remove
> the useless thing.
>
> Then again, it could be the fact that browser authors are not maintaining
> the technology and not implementing that correctly.

That IE HTML5 Audio demo uses MPEG media as the sample songs. MPEG media can
cause problem for open source and non commercial softwares, so they're
treated differently.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...64_(AAC_or_MP3)

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/..._compatibility

Quote:

To avoid patent issues, support for MPEG 4, H.264, MP3 and AAC is not built
directly into Firefox. Instead it relies on support from the OS or hardware.
Firefox supports these formats on the following platforms:

Platform Firefox version
Windows 7+ 21.0
Windows Vista 22.0
Android 20.0
Firefox OS 15.0
OS X 10.7 ??

Firefox might need to be v21 or newer in Windows XP to play MPEG. It's not
yet supported in v18 under Windows XP.

MPEG in Opera is a no-no. No support in classic Opera v12.x whatsoever.
Opera v15+ probably doesn't support it too, since it's based on Chromium.