Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Tech Support?

Re: Tech Support?

nospam

In article <l2fh2q$r9v$(E-Mail Removed)>,
YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoŽlle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As a end user, I am no seeking faults or responsabilities, I am seeking
> working solutions. I have used many different systems and machines and
> even if I like some better than others, it is the working application
> that count for me.

same here, although i'm not just an end user, but a developer too.

> And if I have to pay for the machine myself, the cost (I include
> maintenance cost and expected life so I dont always buy the cheapeast
> thing).

many people ignore maintenance costs. that 'cheap pc' may not end up as
cheap as it might seem, once you add on all the stuff needed to make it
usable.

> >> Well, when I looked on appstore it was written version 2, and the
> >> current version of ownCloud is 5.

> > you obviously didn't look on the android play store, since the version
> > number of the android app, which you claim to be using, is 1.4.5.

> I did never claim to use androÓd, I dont own a tablet actually.

then why are you harping on ios?

> I do use OwnCloud, on BSD and SL.
> I was balancing the usability of androÔd vs IOS for me, on the
> photographic point of vue, because Android tablets are cheaper,

prices are comparable for similar specs.

there are definitely cheaper android tablets, some as cheap as $50
bucks, but they're basically junk. a review of one of them listed
battery life of about an hour, and that's in standby (seriously). they
typically come with very old versions of android and lack features such
as bluetooth or even wifi.

for an android tablet comparable to an ipad, you will be paying about
the same amount.

the big exception is the amazon kindle, which amazon sells at less than
cost to hook people into amazon.com and hope they buy all their movies
and music there. it's also a fork of an older version of android, so
you may not be able to run all android apps.

> offer
> lots of apps and lots of different material,

that's also comparable, with a lot of apps debuting on ios first and
later moving to android. a few go the other way but nowhere near as
many.

developing for android is a serious pain in the ass because of
fragmentation.

> but the Retina screen and
> general sturdiness of iPad is better than what you can get on AndroÓds
> tablets.

the retina display is definitely a plus, although a couple of android
tablets are starting to have high resolution displays now.

> > not that it matters, since version numbers don't mean a whole lot.

> Right, I was wrong. The server app is 5, but the client app has lower
> number.

as i said, the version numbers don't mean much.

each app has a different codebase, so the version numbers won't match,
except by coincidence. a bug in one might not exist in the other, so
only one version would need to be revised.

> what
> > matters is if the app does what it claims to do.

> Feedback from ios users of OwnCloud, then ?

the reviews for the ios app are roughly the same as the android app, so
they're both about as functional.

i don't use the app so i can't say one way or the other.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> You should inform Apple marketing service of that, then. You have a usb
> >> port on your iPad and you are the only one.

> > they are well aware of the capabilities of their products.

> Whoosh!

whoosh right back at you.

the fact is that every single ipad ever made has usb and even includes
a usb cable in the box.

anyone who claims that ipads lack usb is thoroughly misinformed.

and it's the same over on android too, with rare exception.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >the term pc means windows pc.

> Then what is a desk top Acer running Linux? Is it not a pc also?

linux box, or pc running linux.

not that it matters, since an ipad is more portable than that, no
matter what you want to call it, just like i said it was.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >pc means windows pc, and i'm sure you know that too.

> Nonsense!
>
> No wonder you are always getting bogged down in arguments.
>
> A [windows PC] is a subset of [PC].
>
> The use of the term PC implies anything from an Atari to an Apple. No
> doubt you will continue to argue otherwise.

the term pc means windows computer to just about everyone, except you
and tony.

nobody thinks of atari as a pc. nobody even uses an atari pc anymore
except out of curiosity or nostalgia.

not that it matters since an ipad is more portable and does a *lot*
more than any atari computer ever did.

Mayayana

| > Are there specific things that have made the tablet a
| > worthwhile investment for you?
|
| Idont know for him but
|
| First : I am not blind. That would be an inconvenience for a
| photographer anyway.
| If I could afford a tablet, I would use it to have a choice of images to
| show at people on the spot. Different choices for different people.

As I understand it, Dudley Hanks is either effectively blind or
has very poor eyesight. So I was just curious what he,
specifically, finds useful with an iPad.

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:14:38 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Of course you implied it. You made the statement that an iPad is more
>> portable than a PC will ever be. You meant, of course, a desktop unit
>> and not just a system that uses Windows.

>i did not mean 'desktop unit'. i meant what i said, a pc.
>
>since your feeble brain can't comprehend the obvious, that means a
>'windows computer'.

So you *didn't* mean a Windows computer or an Apple computer?

>> The same is true for an
>> Apple desktop or a Windows desktop.

>so what?

So you mean meant either PC or Apple. Just like I said.

>an ipad is more portable than a windows laptop too. it makes no
>difference whether it's a desktop or a laptop.

Is it more portable than an Apple desktop or laptop?

Are you leaving out Apple because you're an Applepimp?

>> You going to continue to weasel?

>everyone knows what i meant, except you.

Most people know what you *wrote*, not what you meant.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:45:43 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2013.10.01 16:15 , Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:24:07 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> nonsense. i've never said nor implied anything of the sort. you are
>>> once again, lying.
>>>
>>> pc means windows pc, and i'm sure you know that too.

>> Of course you implied it. You made the statement that an iPad is more
>> portable than a PC will ever be. You meant, of course, a desktop unit
>> and not just a system that uses Windows. The same is true for an
>> Apple desktop or a Windows desktop.

>In common parlance evolved over the last 30 years, a "PC" means a
>windows tower machine -

I know that, Alan. However, nospam used "PC" to mean a desktop unit
as a comparison. A PC is no different than an Apple in the comparison
he was making. The issue of comparison isn't OS; it's size, weight,
and the need to be plugged in.

It was not the ambiguity that bothered me. It was the bias shown by
using "pc" and not including Apple desktops or referring to just
"desktops".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

PeterN

On 10/1/2013 6:47 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> they are well aware of the capabilities of their products.

>> Whoosh!

> whoosh right back at you.
>
> the fact is that every single ipad ever made has usb and even includes
> a usb cable in the box.
>
> anyone who claims that ipads lack usb is thoroughly misinformed.
>
> and it's the same over on android too, with rare exception.

Apple says it does not have one. Indeed, I considred using a iPad to
transfer files from my CF cards toa portable hard drive. The Apple
people told me it couldn't be done. it does have s conversion unit, but
that doesn't function like USB.

<http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/ipad/does-the-new-ipad-have-a-usb-port/QAHJTUUF729JUYJXF>

--
PeterN

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Whoosh!

> > whoosh right back at you.
> >
> > the fact is that every single ipad ever made has usb and even includes
> > a usb cable in the box.
> >
> > anyone who claims that ipads lack usb is thoroughly misinformed.
> >
> > and it's the same over on android too, with rare exception.

> Apple says it does not have one

bullshit. they say no such thing.

not only does the ipad have usb, but it charges and syncs over usb and
comes with a usb cable in the box.

> Indeed, I considred using a iPad to
> transfer files from my CF cards toa portable hard drive. The Apple
> people told me it couldn't be done.

it's not intended to transfer files from a camera to a hard drive.

plugging a hard drive into an ipad makes no sense anyway. who wants to
have a hard drive dangling off a tablet?

however, you can easily transfer photos from either a memory card or
the camera directly to the ipad and then view, edit and/or upload them
to wherever you want. that works perfectly fine, and has since the
original ipad.

> it does have s conversion unit, but
> that doesn't function like USB.

yes it does, and not only does the cck function like usb, but it
supports more than cameras and card readers. it also works with usb
keyboards and usb audio devices, including microphones and midi.

> <http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/ipad/does-the-new-ipad-have-a-usb-port/QAHJTUUF729JUYJXF>

that's just a forum, where anyone can answer.

that is *not* an official apple statement.

nospam

In article <2013100118384311967-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> Indeed, I considred using a iPad to
> >> transfer files from my CF cards toa portable hard drive. The Apple
> >> people told me it couldn't be done.

> > it's not intended to transfer files from a camera to a hard drive.

> If you use the Apple "Camera Kit" it does.

not in the way you think.

> > plugging a hard drive into an ipad makes no sense anyway. who wants to
> > have a hard drive dangling off a tablet?

> The folks who make and sell the "Hyperdrive". This is their 1TB
> version, they have others.
> < http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/.../HDIP-1TB.html >

it's nothing more than offline storage for media files.

you can't copy photos from the ipad to the drive. note that the
description says 'to ipad' and not 'to and from ipad'. it's a one way
street.

it requires the camera connection kit to connect and operates like a
card reader would, accessing photos and videos from the dcim folder,
and also using the built in photos app.

there's really nothing special about it. a usb hard drive plugged into
the cck would do the same thing, assuming the photos were in the dcim
folder. it might make sure they are, which would be about all it does.

OT: MSN Tech Support Keyboard Cowboy MCSE 6 10-08-2004 01:32 AM
[OT] Offshore tech support T-Bone MCSE 4 09-27-2004 02:40 PM
Russian PC Support Tech: HEAR ME ROAR Wilhelm Scjlezieky MCSE 23 07-27-2004 06:08 PM
OT: Dell cancels India tech support? Freddy MCSE 8 11-26-2003 08:25 PM
OT: My local ISP Tech support - incompetence at it's very best S. O'Brien MCSE 1 11-03-2003 06:26 PM

Advertisments