Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Boot failure on XP, various errors, missing hal.dll etc...

Boot failure on XP, various errors, missing hal.dll etc...

zaqxws@googlemail.com

Well good news and bad news sort of, I see to be able to boot fine on the old 250
meg drive, although I see a temporary desktop not the right one for HP_owner.

Also there seem to be a problem with the 500gig drive, there is nothing on it.
I think Linux must have screwed it or I managed to with the aid of Linux somehow.
Either way it does not look good.

However I had just backed it up but I do not see how I can get data back on it.

I think if just comes up as size 0 data used 0, if it come up at all is this here?

Also I do not think the 250 meg drive saves anything written to it.
SO not good.

I just connected the 500gig drive to the old hp machine alone, I could not
get into the setup like that, or at least I didn't wait long enough press
the key soon enough.
I just managed to get into the boot menu and it ony showed the floppy

I now managed to get into the set-up and it does show the drive,
[wdc wd500aavs-]

However i have just booted into Linux with it connected and it is back!!!

I don't know it is a really confusing mess here!!

Then I tried reconnecting the 250gig drive and it would not boot,
disconnected, let it power right down and now it is booting.

I am wondering why it does not seem to save data on the desktop?

I am gonna try writing something to the root folder as a test,
but I kind of think I am wasting time, so I will try that when I am
feeling more optimistic, it seem to have stopped responding anyway!

Paul

> I am gonna try writing something to the root folder as a test,
> but I kind of think I am wasting time, so I will try that when I am
> feeling more optimistic, it seem to have stopped responding anyway!

I'm still waiting for a symptom to come along, that we can
build on. (Like a failure pattern that I recognize )

Linux and Windows need some of the same things, to be able to
mount a partition. For NTFS, one of the differences is, that
Linux doesn't know how to treat the Journal file, and that
file is how Windows repairs stuff damaged in the last session.
So that would be one aspect of NTFS, that differs between
Linux and Windows. Using Linux can invalidate the journal,
which normally isn't all that big a deal.

Paul

zaqxws@googlemail.com

On Friday, September 27, 2013 6:00:16 PM UTC-8, Paul wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > I am gonna try writing something to the root folder as a test,

> > but I kind of think I am wasting time, so I will try that when I am

> > feeling more optimistic, it seem to have stopped responding anyway!

> I'm still waiting for a symptom to come along, that we can
>
> build on. (Like a failure pattern that I recognize )
>

> Linux and Windows need some of the same things, to be able to
>
> mount a partition. For NTFS, one of the differences is, that
>
> Linux doesn't know how to treat the Journal file, and that
>
> file is how Windows repairs stuff damaged in the last session.
>
> So that would be one aspect of NTFS, that differs between
>
> Linux and Windows. Using Linux can invalidate the journal,
>
> which normally isn't all that big a deal.
>

> Paul

Yes unfortunately it has all been rather confusing and inconsistent.
I have managed to view the 500gb drive from Linux when it was connect
directly by SATA, but I have not been able to USB it in the USB enclosure it originally came in, either on a machine running linux or windows.
Maybe there is problem with the enclosure but that seems unlikely as it just
kind of slots in.

But maybe windows did repair the journal file when I tried to boot from the 500gb drive, I think the sata connectors on the drive may be a bit dodgy.
I need to do some more tests really.

zaqxws@googlemail.com

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:48:34 AM UTC-8, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Friday, September 27, 2013 6:00:16 PM UTC-8, Paul wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > I am gonna try writing something to the root folder as a test,

> > > but I kind of think I am wasting time, so I will try that when I am

> > > feeling more optimistic, it seem to have stopped responding anyway!

> > I'm still waiting for a symptom to come along, that we can

> > build on. (Like a failure pattern that I recognize )

> > Linux and Windows need some of the same things, to be able to

> > mount a partition. For NTFS, one of the differences is, that

> > Linux doesn't know how to treat the Journal file, and that

> > file is how Windows repairs stuff damaged in the last session.

> > So that would be one aspect of NTFS, that differs between

> > Linux and Windows. Using Linux can invalidate the journal,

> > which normally isn't all that big a deal.

> > Paul

> Yes unfortunately it has all been rather confusing and inconsistent.
>
> I have managed to view the 500gb drive from Linux when it was connect
>
> directly by SATA, but I have not been able to USB it in the USB enclosure it originally came in, either on a machine running linux or windows.
>
> Maybe there is problem with the enclosure but that seems unlikely as it just
>
> kind of slots in.
>

> But maybe windows did repair the journal file when I tried to boot from the 500gb drive, I think the sata connectors on the drive may be a bit dodgy.
>
> I need to do some more tests really.

Right I have managed to view the 500GB when directly connected to Linux
I could not see it connected in the external USB enclosure thought,

However I have had it connected in the enclosure on my new machine earlier
but then next time I tried I could not see it.

Maybe a problem with the enclosure, I don't know.

To sum up I can see the 500GB drive and all the windows data (about 300 GB)
when directly connected to the old PC running Linux.

However if I put the drive in the USB enclosure and connect it to the other
machine, sometimes it is detected and I see a mainly empty drive, apart from
some Linux files, ie wubuildr, wubildr.mbr and an empty folder. However recently
it has not been detected at all, but it was definitely detected earlier today
as that's when I saw the Linux files. However since then, when I powered down
with the USB connected, I can't seem to detect it on either machine in the enclosure.

It seems to me that Linux has done something to the drive, ie converted it to
a Linux file system (against my wishes). I have a recent backup of the drives data though so no problems on the score. That would explain why none of the windows files appear under windows.

So I seem to be going backwards at the moment, creating more problem than I solve!

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:48:34 AM UTC-8, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> I'm still waiting for a symptom to come along, that we can
>>> build on. (Like a failure pattern that I recognize )
>>> Linux and Windows need some of the same things, to be able to
>>> mount a partition. For NTFS, one of the differences is, that
>>> Linux doesn't know how to treat the Journal file, and that
>>> file is how Windows repairs stuff damaged in the last session.
>>> So that would be one aspect of NTFS, that differs between
>>> Linux and Windows. Using Linux can invalidate the journal,
>>> which normally isn't all that big a deal.
>>> Paul

>> Yes unfortunately it has all been rather confusing and inconsistent.
>>
>> I have managed to view the 500gb drive from Linux when it was connect
>>
>> directly by SATA, but I have not been able to USB it in the USB enclosure it originally came in, either on a machine running linux or windows.
>>
>> Maybe there is problem with the enclosure but that seems unlikely as it just
>>
>> kind of slots in.
>>

>> But maybe windows did repair the journal file when I tried to boot from
>> the 500gb drive, I think the sata connectors on the drive may be a bit dodgy.
>>
>> I need to do some more tests really.

> Right I have managed to view the 500GB when directly connected to Linux
> I could not see it connected in the external USB enclosure thought,
>
> However I have had it connected in the enclosure on my new machine earlier
> but then next time I tried I could not see it.
>
> Maybe a problem with the enclosure, I don't know.
>
> To sum up I can see the 500GB drive and all the windows data (about 300 GB)
> when directly connected to the old PC running Linux.
>
> However if I put the drive in the USB enclosure and connect it to the other
> machine, sometimes it is detected and I see a mainly empty drive, apart from
> some Linux files, ie wubuildr, wubildr.mbr and an empty folder. However recently
> it has not been detected at all, but it was definitely detected earlier today
> as that's when I saw the Linux files. However since then, when I powered down
> with the USB connected, I can't seem to detect it on either machine in the enclosure.
>

> It seems to me that Linux has done something to the drive, ie converted it to
> a Linux file system (against my wishes). I have a recent backup of the drives
> data though so no problems on the score. That would explain why none of the
> windows files appear under windows.
>
> So I seem to be going backwards at the moment, creating more problem than I solve!

I don't interpret the symptoms that way.

You've apparently installed Linux using WUBI. I've never tried that, for
what it's worth. It installs Linux as a single file, contained within
a Windows partition. And apparently messes around with boot.ini
and interferes with normal operations.

It's possible, the Windows partition will not be visible, as long as
that Linux file is being used by WUBI.

As an example, I'm not using WUBI. I have Linux on a USB stick. The
USB stick has a single FAT32 partition on it. There is a single file
within that partition, 4GB in size, and that is what Linux uses
for the home directory. While Linux is running there, I cannot
see the contents of the FAT32 partition. The 4GB file is loopback
mounted on / (slash). Changes in Linux are stored there. Now if I boot
back into Windows, I can see the entire contents of the FAT32 partition
(a bunch of Linux related files as well as the 4GB file). I can actually
store additional files if I want there (when using the USB stick for
general purpose transfer, that's exactly what I'm doing). But when it
runs as a Linux OS, the partition is no longer visible in Linux,
the 4GB file can't be seen, but the 4GB file is loopback mounted.

So such a behavior isn't a complete surprise.

Hmmm. There's a WUBI tutorial here. It still doesn't
explain how it works, but it does mention the possibility of
seeing a "hal.dll is missing" type error.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

I have a suspicion much of what you've seen, is a side effect of
WUBI. You never know.

Paul

zaqxws@googlemail.com

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:36:47 PM UTC-8, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:48:34 AM UTC-8, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > I'm still waiting for a symptom to come along, that we can

> > > build on. (Like a failure pattern that I recognize )

> > > Linux and Windows need some of the same things, to be able to

> > > mount a partition. For NTFS, one of the differences is, that

> > > Linux doesn't know how to treat the Journal file, and that

> > > file is how Windows repairs stuff damaged in the last session.

> > > So that would be one aspect of NTFS, that differs between

> > > Linux and Windows. Using Linux can invalidate the journal,

> > > which normally isn't all that big a deal.

> > > Paul

> > Yes unfortunately it has all been rather confusing and inconsistent.

> > I have managed to view the 500gb drive from Linux when it was connect

> > directly by SATA, but I have not been able to USB it in the USB enclosure it originally came in, either on a machine running linux or windows.

> > Maybe there is problem with the enclosure but that seems unlikely as it just

> > kind of slots in.

> > But maybe windows did repair the journal file when I tried to boot from the 500gb drive, I think the sata connectors on the drive may be a bit dodgy.

> > I need to do some more tests really.

> Right I have managed to view the 500GB when directly connected to Linux
>
> I could not see it connected in the external USB enclosure thought,
>

> However I have had it connected in the enclosure on my new machine earlier
>
> but then next time I tried I could not see it.
>

> Maybe a problem with the enclosure, I don't know.
>

> To sum up I can see the 500GB drive and all the windows data (about 300 GB)
>
> when directly connected to the old PC running Linux.
>

> However if I put the drive in the USB enclosure and connect it to the other
>
> machine, sometimes it is detected and I see a mainly empty drive, apart from
>
> some Linux files, ie wubuildr, wubildr.mbr and an empty folder. However recently
>
> it has not been detected at all, but it was definitely detected earlier today
>
> as that's when I saw the Linux files. However since then, when I powered down
>
> with the USB connected, I can't seem to detect it on either machine in the enclosure.
>

> It seems to me that Linux has done something to the drive, ie converted it to
>
> a Linux file system (against my wishes). I have a recent backup of the drives data though so no problems on the score. That would explain why none of the windows files appear under windows.
>

> So I seem to be going backwards at the moment, creating more problem than I solve!

OK I found some DVD I had what it did was show me
what was on the drive, I could see two partitions, C: and D:
One containing windows and one is the hp recovery partition I think,
but basically the disc as I knew it.
Linux does not show the recovery partition, so at least I know it is there.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> OK I found some DVD I had what it did was show me
> what was on the drive, I could see two partitions, C: and D:
> One containing windows and one is the hp recovery partition I think,
> but basically the disc as I knew it.
> Linux does not show the recovery partition, so at least I know it is there.

OK, you should be running Linux right off a Linux DVD.

No more WUBI.

If you run Linux by booting a Linux LiveCD or LiveDVD, or
you boot using Linux installed on a USB key, then you will
*stop* seeing side-effects of WUBI operation. Linux will
see all the partitions on the hard drive - this assumes
you use Linux utilities that work at a fairly low
level.

For example, if you use the Linux "fdisk", it can list the
primary partitions. Even the HP recovery partition will
be represented in there and assigned a partition type.

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

That's a basic fdisk command, to allow p)rinting the partitions
and q)uitting. You don't need to make any changes in there,
but if you need to list the partition table, that's where
you do it.

If you use gparted in Linux, that shows information in the
same way that Windows Disk Management would, but it may not
list every possible thing. As it still uses a Linux-centric
approach. It might not recognize an HFS+ or FreeBSD partition,
or many of the recovery partition types used by Dell or HP etc.

Paul

zaqxws@googlemail.com

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:44:49 PM UTC-8, Paul wrote:
> [...]

> see the contents of the FAT32 partition. The 4GB file is loopback
>
> mounted on / (slash). Changes in Linux are stored there. Now if I boot
>
> back into Windows, I can see the entire contents of the FAT32 partition
>
> (a bunch of Linux related files as well as the 4GB file). I can actually
>
> store additional files if I want there (when using the USB stick for
>
> general purpose transfer, that's exactly what I'm doing). But when it
>
> runs as a Linux OS, the partition is no longer visible in Linux,
>
> the 4GB file can't be seen, but the 4GB file is loopback mounted.
>

> So such a behavior isn't a complete surprise.
>

> Hmmm. There's a WUBI tutorial here. It still doesn't
>
> explain how it works, but it does mention the possibility of
>
> seeing a "hal.dll is missing" type error.
>

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
>

> I have a suspicion much of what you've seen, is a side effect of

As ever it's a bit confusing, I am not sure if I installed
Linux or not, I am tending to think I didn't now, as under Linux all I see
on the drive as windows c: and d:.
I also see a file system on the desktop with typical Linux folder but I
think that is just the Linux DVD, in fact I am sure it is as I wrote
a file to the desktop, rebooted and the file was gone, as it must have just been in memory. I also wrote a file to the windows folder and that was still there, I then deleted it.

So I am note sure why nothing showed up under windows, maybe Linux changed the disc in some way.

There is an "Install Linux Mint" button on the desktop, I thought I might
have accidentally hit that when the desktop got screwed up.

I am also using a new Linux version, only 10 months old, it's a lot better, and I have a better mouse too, one which does not tend to accidentally click the wrong thing.

I'm not very familiar with Linux unfortunately, would help if I was.

However if I try and boot from the 500GB drive it does seem the same as before, ie it gives a hal.dll error if I try a straight boot.

But then the other thing is the 500GB drive does not show up in the
USB enclosure, well it showed up a couple of time but was shown as mainly empty.

I am going to try it in the USB enclosuree again and I am also going to burn that Kasperof DVD, I should have done that before but I am not sure how to burn a DVD on this new machine, OK I am burning it now!!

zaqxws@googlemail.com

On Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:45:37 PM UTC-8, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> [...]

> There is an "Install Linux Mint" button on the desktop, I thought I might
>
> have accidentally hit that when the desktop got screwed up.
>

> I am also using a new Linux version, only 10 months old, it's a lot better, and I have a better mouse too, one which does not tend to accidentally click the wrong thing.
>

> I'm not very familiar with Linux unfortunately, would help if I was.
>

> However if I try and boot from the 500GB drive it does seem the same as before, ie it gives a hal.dll error if I try a straight boot.
>

> But then the other thing is the 500GB drive does not show up in the
>
> USB enclosure, well it showed up a couple of time but was shown as mainly empty.
>

> I am going to try it in the USB enclosure again and I am also going to burn that Kaspersky DVD, I should have done that before but I am not sure how to burn a DVD on this new machine, OK I am burning it now!!

OK running the Kaspersky scan, looks like ti will take forever scanning c: and d: but it found nothing on boot sector and hidden start-up objects.

Yes I see it says it will take 16 hours so I might have to stop it if I want to try other things and start it later when I can let it run to completion.
But even if it does find something I expect any damage has already been done so it will not cure it.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> [...]

> There is an "Install Linux Mint" button on the desktop, I thought I might
> have accidentally hit that when the desktop got screwed up.
>
> I am also using a new Linux version, only 10 months old, it's a lot better, and I have a better mouse too, one which does not tend to accidentally click the wrong thing.
>
> I'm not very familiar with Linux unfortunately, would help if I was.
>
> However if I try and boot from the 500GB drive it does seem the same as before, ie it gives a hal.dll error if I try a straight boot.
>
> But then the other thing is the 500GB drive does not show up in the
> USB enclosure, well it showed up a couple of time but was shown as mainly empty.
>
> I am going to try it in the USB enclosuree again and I am also going to burn that Kasperof DVD, I should have done that before but I am not sure how to burn a DVD on this new machine, OK I am burning it now!!

You did find some WUBI files. And you can't just go around
deleting those at random. The web page I was looking at,
claimed it could result in Windows not booting. So you
have three symptoms of WUBI.

wubuildr, wubildr.mbr, "missing hal.dll"

If you could look in boot.ini (which could be difficult
without fooling around), you'd probably see something in
there as well (that didn't come standard with WinXP).

If instead of WUBI, you try "install Linux Mint", that
should start by asking questions about what partition to
use. (That method would want partition(s) of its very own.)
So you might have had a chance to stop that. WUBI, I'm
not so sure it needs to prompt for choices. As long as it
finds C:, and there is enough space (5GB min), it'll
probably run. WUBI should also have left a big file on there
somewhere.

The WUBI page suggests going to Windows "Add/Remove" control
panel, to remove it, rather than removing it by deleting the
files involved one at a time. WUBI apparently doesn't clean up
after itself entirely, so the boot.ini might still need to be
edited later (with Notepad).

Paul