Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to get the back of an Acer all-in-one (ZC-605)?

How to get the back of an Acer all-in-one (ZC-605)?

John S

Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
nothing useful.

I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a recently
purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.

I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get the back
off. After spending some time puzzling over this and gently trying a few
things, it's obvious to me that there's some kind of snap-fit used in
assembly, and that some degree of force will be required to remove the
back.

Problem is in knowing where to apply the force.
It would be very easy to damage the computer, I would think.

The Acer site is fairly useless.
I've looked at several YouTube videos for opening up Acer computers, but
nothing for this model, and the information needs to be model specific.

Any suggestions for forums or technical groups which haven't shown up via
googling where I might find someone who knows the answer?

I do know that there's much valuable stuff on usenet, which just isn't
available through searching on the internet any more.

This is a fairly recent model, which is possibly why there aren't any
obvious videos about it on YouTube.

Cheers,

John S

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
> Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
> nothing useful.
>
> I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a
> recently purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.
>
> I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get
> the back off. After spending some time puzzling over this and gently
> trying a few things, it's obvious to me that there's some kind of
> snap-fit used in assembly, and that some degree of force will be
> required to remove the back.
>
> Problem is in knowing where to apply the force.
> It would be very easy to damage the computer, I would think.
>
> The Acer site is fairly useless.
> I've looked at several YouTube videos for opening up Acer computers,
> but nothing for this model, and the information needs to be model
> specific.
>
> Any suggestions for forums or technical groups which haven't shown up
> via googling where I might find someone who knows the answer?
>
> I do know that there's much valuable stuff on usenet, which just isn't
> available through searching on the internet any more.
>
> This is a fairly recent model, which is possibly why there aren't any
> obvious videos about it on YouTube.

Hi John,

Well, you're right - there doesn't seem to be anything out there on this
model. All I can suggest is contacting Acer NZ from their site;
http://www.acer.co.nz/ac/en/NZ/content/service I'm sure they'll help if
you put in a request or ring 0800 223 769 (the number for tech support /
service and repair on that page). Can't hurt anyway, all it'll cost is a
little time.

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

JohnO

On Monday, 16 September 2013 20:02:02 UTC+12, John S wrote:
> Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
>
> nothing useful.
>

> I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a recently
>
> purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.
>

> I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get the back
>
> off. After spending some time puzzling over this and gently trying a few
>
> things, it's obvious to me that there's some kind of snap-fit used in
>
> assembly, and that some degree of force will be required to remove the
>
> back.
>

> Problem is in knowing where to apply the force.
>
> It would be very easy to damage the computer, I would think.
>

> The Acer site is fairly useless.
>
> I've looked at several YouTube videos for opening up Acer computers, but
>
> nothing for this model, and the information needs to be model specific.
>

> Any suggestions for forums or technical groups which haven't shown up via
>
> googling where I might find someone who knows the answer?
>

> I do know that there's much valuable stuff on usenet, which just isn't
>
> available through searching on the internet any more.
>

> This is a fairly recent model, which is possibly why there aren't any
>
> obvious videos about it on YouTube.
>

> Cheers,
>

> John S

Dunno about this model, but is there a bezel around the keyboard that you can pop off?

John S

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:38:25 -0700 (PDT), JohnO wrote:

> On Monday, 16 September 2013 20:02:02 UTC+12, John S wrote:
>> Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
>>
>> nothing useful.
>>

>> I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a recently
>>
>> purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.

SNIP ...

> Dunno about this model, but is there a bezel around the keyboard that you can pop off?

This model has separate (wireless) keyboard and mouse.

There is a bezel or plastic rim right round the frame of the integrated
unit. This rim is secured on the underside (the side the unit stands on)
with some small screws. When the screws are removed, the rim is still
firmly held, but can be pulled away slightly from the frame at the base. I
found I could slide a blade under the rim and pop some internal clips along
the two sides.

However, when I reached either of the two top corners, it wasn't possible
to go any further without applying more force than I wanted to risk.

The rim is captured by the moulded plastic back, so you can't lift the rim
or move it any distance. I couldn't see any place to get leverage under the
back moulding.

But thanks for the comment.

Cheers,

John S

John S

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:38:51 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
>> Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
>> nothing useful.
>>
>> I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a
>> recently purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.
>>
>> I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get
>> the back off.

SNIP ..

> Hi John,
>
> Well, you're right - there doesn't seem to be anything out there on this
> model. All I can suggest is contacting Acer NZ from their site;
> http://www.acer.co.nz/ac/en/NZ/content/service I'm sure they'll help if
> you put in a request or ring 0800 223 769 (the number for tech support /
> service and repair on that page). Can't hurt anyway, all it'll cost is a
> little time.
>

> Cheers,

Hi Misfit,

Yes, probably that's what I will have to do, unless I can find a local
friendly serviceman who has had one to bits. Presumably people in the trade
have access to service info that the public don't.

Cheers,

John S

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
[snip]
> There is a bezel or plastic rim right round the frame of the
> integrated unit. This rim is secured on the underside (the side the
> unit stands on) with some small screws. When the screws are removed,
> the rim is still firmly held, but can be pulled away slightly from
> the frame at the base. I found I could slide a blade under the rim
> and pop some internal clips along the two sides.
>
> However, when I reached either of the two top corners, it wasn't
> possible to go any further without applying more force than I wanted
> to risk.
>
> The rim is captured by the moulded plastic back, so you can't lift
> the rim or move it any distance. I couldn't see any place to get
> leverage under the back moulding.

I find that, when trying to open anything like that old credit or EFTPOS
cards and similar are your friends. You use them to stop the clips from
re-engaging as you work your way around...

I could be telling you something that you already know - but when I
discovered the idea it made a big difference.