Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > ModelSim 'vmake' and bash is not generating properly formatted Makefile

ModelSim 'vmake' and bash is not generating properly formatted Makefile

BlackHelicopter BlackHelicopter is offline
Junior Member

I'm running into an issue with generating a Makefile from ModelSim

I start by running:
$ vmake > Makefile

And find that the resulting Makefile is not properly formatted. Instead of lines starting with a tab, lines start with 4 spaces.

Then when I try to run it using:
$ make -f Makefile

I get output saying
**make: Nothing to be done for `whole_library'.**

Then if I fix up the makefile it works. So I'm not quite sure if this is a problem with 'vmake', bash, or linux?

Anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

**Update**
I might be an idiot and didn't clean out the .dat files out of the compilation library directory first. I think that's why I got the.. "Nothing to be done for 'whole_library'" error.

In the Emacs vhdl-mode makefile generator I noticed it creates a command called 'clean' to remove the .dat files. I must need to do this first.

Sorry I'm new to this sort of thing and am trying to learn my way around.

**Update 2**
Apparently if I don't modify any of the vhdl files I get the same thing. So I've seen that I need to use the touch' cmd in linux to update the files.

Last edited by BlackHelicopter; 09-16-2013 at 01:36 AM..