Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > ModelSim 'vmake' and bash is not generating properly formatted Makefile

ModelSim 'vmake' and bash is not generating properly formatted Makefile

09-16-2013
I'm running into an issue with generating a Makefile from ModelSim

I start by running:
$ vmake > Makefile

And find that the resulting Makefile is not properly formatted. Instead of lines starting with a tab, lines start with 4 spaces.

Then when I try to run it using:
$ make -f Makefile

I get output saying
**make: Nothing to be done for `whole_library'.**

Then if I fix up the makefile it works. So I'm not quite sure if this is a problem with 'vmake', bash, or linux?

Anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

**Update**
I might be an idiot and didn't clean out the .dat files out of the compilation library directory first. I think that's why I got the.. "Nothing to be done for 'whole_library'" error.

In the Emacs vhdl-mode makefile generator I noticed it creates a command called 'clean' to remove the .dat files. I must need to do this first.

Sorry I'm new to this sort of thing and am trying to learn my way around.

**Update 2**
Apparently if I don't modify any of the vhdl files I get the same thing. So I've seen that I need to use the touch' cmd in linux to update the files.

Last edited by BlackHelicopter; 09-16-2013 at 01:36 AM..