Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Tualatin Celerons?

Tualatin Celerons?

Richard

On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.

My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down more
power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and will be
gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of i3
mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of under
18 months with the power saved.

Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

Bret

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:13:29 +1200, Richard wrote:

> On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

>> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
>> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

> Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
> quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
>
> My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down more
> power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and will be
> gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of i3
> mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of under
> 18 months with the power saved.
>
> Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
> compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

How about a Dell XPS core i7 with 8 Gigs of ram.
How about an Asus eee atom powered needs a new power supply.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

>> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
>> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

> Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
> quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
>
> My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down
> more power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and
> will be gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of
> i3 mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of
> under 18 months with the power saved.
>
> Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
> compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't ever
own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient dinosaurs.

The Tualatin was the forerunner of the first Pentium M - which evolved into
the core, core2 then 13 / 17 etc. It was a great, efficient CPU that's only
'crime' was that (at the time) it's architechture wouldn't clock as high as
AMDs contemporary CPUs. So Intel went down the P4 path, more as a marketting
excercise than developing a good CPU - they just wanted something that
clocked high - so looked good on paper. It was a folly.

When they became ridiculously power-hungry and hot Intel tasked it's Israel
based team with designing a new CPU for laptops as they couldn't compete
with AMD in that area. The Israel team decided that, with recent advances to
fabrication tech and the resulting ability to give it a large L2 cache the
Tualatin could be 'evolved' into the Pentium M - which was twice as powerful
as the Pentium 4 clock-for-clock and four times as power efficient.

It was ultimately the death-knoll of the P4 and the rest is history - the
descendants of that CPU make up all of Intel's current desktop (and mobile)
range.

*That's* why I have a bunch of Tualatins! Late in their life the Pentium III
version was discontinued (as the PIII 1.4GHz Tualatin trounced the new P4
1.7GHz and right up to 2GHz!). Instead of killing them off straight away
Intel hampered them by only making them to run on a 100MHz FSB (and limiting
the L2 to 256kB from the 512 the PIII had) and continued to make Celerons
for a couple of years - up to 1.5GHz.

They are a classic - and still not inefficient (relatively) CPU. I used to
run 1.1GHz vrsions on a 133MHz FSB and it was a P4 killing machine.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
>> On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
>>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
>>> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

>> Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
>> quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
>>
>> My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down
>> more power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and
>> will be gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of
>> i3 mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of
>> under 18 months with the power saved.
>>
>> Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
>> compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

> Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't
> ever own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient
> dinosaurs.

In other words these Tualatins would have easilly run 'downloading machines'
and use less than a quarter of the power a P4 uses. <shrug>
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

victor

On 19/09/2013 2:42 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:

>>> Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
>>> quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
>>>
>>> My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down
>>> more power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and
>>> will be gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of
>>> i3 mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of
>>> under 18 months with the power saved.
>>>
>>> Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
>>> compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

>> Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't
>> ever own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient
>> dinosaurs.

> In other words these Tualatins would have easilly run 'downloading machines'
> and use less than a quarter of the power a P4 uses. <shrug>

Even they are a bit inefficient and bulky for that.
I have a 2TB wd mybooklive NAS with a torrent client on it. Consumes
5-10W and costs ~$200
A raspberry pi as a torrent downloader seedbox would cost about $2 pa to
run. Use them as music players or htpc players, just swap sd cards.
Did I mention linux ? Or is that a Godwins infringement.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> On 19/09/2013 2:42 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't
>>> ever own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient
>>> dinosaurs.

>> In other words these Tualatins would have easilly run 'downloading
>> machines' and use less than a quarter of the power a P4 uses. <shrug>

> Even they are a bit inefficient and bulky for that.

Yeah but, compared to P4s they're positively frugal with the moving
electrons.

> I have a 2TB wd mybooklive NAS with a torrent client on it. Consumes
> 5-10W and costs ~$200

That's a seriously cost-effective solution!

> A raspberry pi as a torrent downloader seedbox would cost about $2 pa
> to run.

True - but then I'd need to buy it first when I'm destitute and have older
machines already owned....

(Heh! I just logged into here to post a sob story involving a Tualatin -
partly because this group has been so quiet of late and it's a great
resource. I'd hate to see it go the way of the moas.)

> Use them as music players or htpc players, just swap sd cards.

Yeah, there's no doubting they're great little things.

Then again I have a lidless X24 ThinkPad with a 1.13GHz PIII-M (Tualatin!),
840MB RAM, HDD and Cardbus USB2 card (it only has USB 1.1 natively) that
weighs 700g and includes an excellent little keyboard and trackpoint. I just
plug it into one of the little 15" Dell LCDs that I picked up for $20 each
and away it goes.... It never misses a beat, takes up less room than a
normal keyboard and hardly gets warm enough to spin it's fan.

> Did I mention linux ? Or is that a Godwins infringement.

Nah, that's fine. However if you'd mentioned Sebastian Vettel......