Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer hibernates

Computer hibernates

geopelia

Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
seemed to shut down.
I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.

Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?

I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting for it.
Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?

Or is it just something technical?

It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though I've
seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.

Outlook Express, XP.

Dave Doe

In article <l0oma7$lv0$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), geopelia
says...

> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
> seemed to shut down.
> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
>
> Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
>
> I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

Well there's no doubt still enough keys on the keyboard to include a
sleep and hibernate - and that's probably what you
unknowingly/unwittingly did.

So have a looksee at the wee symbols at the top of the keyboard - I
think you'll find one that looks like a "sleep" symbol, and that it's
set to hibernate the PC on press - usually it requires a combination of
a special 'Function' key on the keyboard - however some keyboards have a
single, sleep keypress, function.

I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Duncan.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:

Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;

> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
> and seemed to shut down.

Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the only
thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows key
together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

Or you might have a keyboard that has special keys to get the machine to
hibernate (perhaps as well as shut down, stand by, open browser / email /
Media player) and you accidently hit the hibernate key?

> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start
> up.
> Was that the right thing to do?

Yes.

> Could it do any harm?

No.

> I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

Ok.

> It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
> secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting
> for it. Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?

No. Nothing like that.

> Or is it just something technical?

It sounds like it's something messed up with Windows maybe... Hopefully
someone with more knowledge will chime in. Otherwise if it keeps doing it
maybe time for the computer man?

Like your blue screen the other day, if it's a one-off then ignore it.
However if it happens repeatedly it could be a sign of something out of
whack that needs attention. In fact the two thing could conceivably be
related... However, as I said, Windows stuff is not my strong-suit.

> It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though
> I've seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.

Yeah, it's actually confusing (at least to me). They can 'hibernate' and
'stand by', with various degrees of each / either. One saves everything to
memory, the other to the hard drive so it's quicker to resume where you left
off rather than turning the computer off, then on again later.

However in my opinion these 'sleep states' are more useful for laptops than
desktops. (I don't like them though, even with my laptop I don't use them.)

> Outlook Express, XP.

Well done. Folks can't help if they don't know what you're using.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help - or it won't happen again.

Best,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Bruce Sinclair

In article <l0op65$2oc$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>
>Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
>software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
>worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
>
>> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
>> and seemed to shut down.

>Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
>certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the only
>thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows key
>together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

Unless it's a laptop and it is shutting down to save battery ? I don't think
Geo runs a laptop, but ... ?

Frank Williams

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:59:18 +1200, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
>seemed to shut down.
> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
>
>Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
>
>I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.
>
>It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
>secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting for it.
>Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?
>
>Or is it just something technical?
>
>It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though I've
>seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.
>
>Outlook Express, XP.

Dead simple Right click on the desktop a empty part ie Wallpaper
select Properties then screen saver the select the Power icon near the
bottom , then select the power schemes like Home/Office then select the
Hibernate tab and make sure the Enable hibernate is not ticked.

geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:59:18 +1200, "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
>>seemed to shut down.
>> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
>>
>>Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
>>
>>I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.
>>
>>It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
>>secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting for it.
>>Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?
>>
>>Or is it just something technical?
>>
>>It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though I've
>>seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.
>>
>>Outlook Express, XP.
>>

> Dead simple Right click on the desktop a empty part ie Wallpaper
> select Properties then screen saver the select the Power icon near the
> bottom , then select the power schemes like Home/Office then select the
> Hibernate tab and make sure the Enable hibernate is not ticked.

Thank you. I did all that, there was "system hibernates" saying "Never".
Enable hibernate wasn't there, I suppose that is the same thing.
So it shouldn't have hibernated. Perhaps it was just a bug.

geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <l0oma7$lv0$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), geopelia
> says...
>>
>> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to, and
>> seemed to shut down.
>> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start up.
>>
>> Was that the right thing to do? Could it do any harm?
>>
>> I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

> Well there's no doubt still enough keys on the keyboard to include a
> sleep and hibernate - and that's probably what you
> unknowingly/unwittingly did.
>
> So have a looksee at the wee symbols at the top of the keyboard - I
> think you'll find one that looks like a "sleep" symbol, and that it's
> set to hibernate the PC on press - usually it requires a combination of
> a special 'Function' key on the keyboard - however some keyboards have a
> single, sleep keypress, function.
>
> I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you. I can't see anything like that on this keyboard. There are Undo,
Find, Save etc.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <l0op65$2oc$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>>
>> Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my
>> forte, software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in
>> my tuppence worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
>>
>>> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
>>> and seemed to shut down.

>> Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so
>> after a certain period of inactivity. However you said you were
>> using it so the only thing I can think of is did you perhaps
>> accidently push the Windows key together with 'H' and 'U' on the
>> keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

> Unless it's a laptop and it is shutting down to save battery ? I
> don't think
> Geo runs a laptop, but ... ?

No, she has a desktop. Even so, my laptop won't hibernate even if the
battery is dying. It'll just turn off when there's no jiuce left. Did I
mention I dislike hibernation et al? <g>
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

geopelia

news:l0op65$2oc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>
> Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
> software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
> worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
>
>> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
>> and seemed to shut down.

> Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
> certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the
> only thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows
> key together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP
> hibernate.

I don't think I could do that accidentally. The bird could do it, but he
wasn't out of his cage.
> Or you might have a keyboard that has special keys to get the machine to
> hibernate (perhaps as well as shut down, stand by, open browser / email /
> Media player) and you accidently hit the hibernate key?

Can't see anything.
.............>
>> I pressed the button to turn it on, and it came back from the start
>> up.
>> Was that the right thing to do?

> Yes.
>
>> Could it do any harm?

> No.
>
>> I was just using Google and didn't press any other keys etc.

> Ok.
>
>> It's possible that what I was looking for (in World War Two) is still
>> secret, and Britain or America does something to computers hunting
>> for it. Could that be so? Can they get into computers and do that?

> No. Nothing like that.
>
>> Or is it just something technical?

> It sounds like it's something messed up with Windows maybe... Hopefully
> someone with more knowledge will chime in. Otherwise if it keeps doing it
> maybe time for the computer man?

Yes, he'll have to have a look soon, some odd things happen.
Trend micro has picked up some web threats recently. To my surprise they
seem to be Bible sites!
Unless somebody is just using that sort of name.
> Like your blue screen the other day, if it's a one-off then ignore it.
> However if it happens repeatedly it could be a sign of something out of
> whack that needs attention. In fact the two thing could conceivably be
> related... However, as I said, Windows stuff is not my strong-suit.
>
>> It's a puzzle. I didn't even know computers could hibernate, though
>> I've seen it "entering sleep mode" sometimes when I turn it off.

> Yeah, it's actually confusing (at least to me). They can 'hibernate' and
> 'stand by', with various degrees of each / either. One saves everything to
> memory, the other to the hard drive so it's quicker to resume where you
> left off rather than turning the computer off, then on again later.
>
> However in my opinion these 'sleep states' are more useful for laptops
> than desktops. (I don't like them though, even with my laptop I don't use
> them.)
>
>> Outlook Express, XP.

> Well done. Folks can't help if they don't know what you're using.
>
> Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help - or it won't happen again.
>
> Best,

Thank you, I've answered above.

geopelia

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:l0otp7$k47$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <l0op65$2oc$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs geopelia wrote:
>>
>>Hi Geo. I'm not really the person to answer this as hardware is my forte,
>>software often leaves me scratching my head but I'll put in my tuppence
>>worth unbtil someone more savvy comes along;
>>
>>> Why would the computer suddenly hibernate? It said it was going to,
>>> and seemed to shut down.

>>Odd. Normally a PC will only hibernate if it's been set to do so after a
>>certain period of inactivity. However you said you were using it so the
>>only
>>thing I can think of is did you perhaps accidently push the Windows key
>>together with 'H' and 'U' on the keyboard? That should make XP hibernate.

> Unless it's a laptop and it is shutting down to save battery ? I don't
> think
> Geo runs a laptop, but ... ?

No, I haven't got a laptop. This computer runs off the mains and the phone
line.