Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > rant and gripe time - checkboxes

rant and gripe time - checkboxes

dorayme

In article <19yqz8tdkphn9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 21:36:21 +1000, dorayme wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> First: Nothing anyone has ever said in this group seems to have had the
> >> slightest effect on richard.
> >>

> > This is not quite true, but lets not worry about it. Why bother to
> > even reply to OP, much less be rude to him if this is such a well
> > known fact? Rudeness has an honourable place in life, literature and
> > art generally, just it seems that this card was played inappropriately
> > early in the thread, there needs to be a better excuse. A little more
> > connoisseurship in this matter is needed. <g>
> >
> >> Second: this is classic richard, ask a question that shows a (remarkable)
> >> lack of knowledge from someone who's supposedly been doing this
> >> for years. Next up, he'll start arguing about the answers.
> >>

> > So, you are saying what? That it is understandable that someone should
> > offer some helpful information with one hand while delivering a
> > precautionary, anticipatory slap with the other? <g>
> >
> >> Third: Have you *met* richard.

> > Yes.

> Interesting comments.
>
> In this issue, which I did mark as a rant, I was looking at why people go
> to all the trouble about writing a lesson on how to do somethijng, then not
> follow up with at least an example.

Good point.

> As you have been around a long time, you know that when I repost a question
> about something, do I not generally say something like I need a refersher?

Yes, you do. You are very good that way. Tim Streater will come to
recognise your goodness and warm to you one day, as will Lewis and
Dennis. They will take you for beers and you will all get on fine,
going deeply into the form element and its various children - mind
you, not until after the eighth round.

> Just curious.
> #3 answer says we have met.

Not quite. It asked if we had "met". And we have. It was a "dark and
stormy night... "

> There is only one person in my entire life that I have known personally
> from your neck of the woods and she lives in new zealand.

Luigi also knew a woman from New Zealand... or, come to think about
it, was it Tasmania?

--
dorayme

Tim Streater

In article <l0ikb6$def$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Tim Streater wrote:
> > In article <1w5wjyzktj9fw.10t87l6cbje76$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> contained in
> >> the
> >>
> >> So what is the point of discussing how to code the stuff without showing
> >> how to use it in real life?
> >> You put a hundred checkboxes on a page. Somebody checks them all and
> >> nothing happens. So what's the point of having the?

> > You haven't said what it is you want to do. I posted something and so
> > did, IIRC, Denis. You've not commented on either offering.
> >
> > You remind me of a bloke who used some of our group's stuff when I was
> > working at CERN. He'd come into our office from time to time and say "It
> > doesn't work". My response was to look concerned and say "Have you been
> > to the Doctor about it?" He soon learnt that issues get resolved a lot
> > quicker when he gave rather more information about what "didn't work". I
> > suggest you do the same.
> >
> > F'rinstance, you say above "Somebody checks them all and nothing
> > happens". Well, what were you expecting to happen? Your screen to go
> > blank? Some part of the web page to change? The power to go off two
> > blocks down the road? The ICBM in the silo across the street to launch
> > and take out Las Vegas?

> If it is something other than all the checkbox controls have a tick mark
> indicator then he does not understand the purpose of the control, i.e.,
> a checkbox should not submit a form...

Agreed, but in practice, you might want that ticking one box enables
other controls on the form, and conversely unticking it disables those
controls. Or, if you have a set of radio buttons, selecting a particular
one might enable an associated text input, etc. Does he need to do stuff
like that in his case? I guess we'll never know.

--
Tim

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes, you do. You are very good that way. Tim Streater will come to
> recognise your goodness and warm to you one day, as will Lewis and
> Dennis. They will take you for beers and you will all get on fine,
> going deeply into the form element and its various children - mind
> you, not until after the eighth round.

Unlikely since I don't do rounds.

--
Tim

Denis McMahon

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:50:31 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yes, you do. You are very good that way. Tim Streater will come to
>> recognise your goodness and warm to you one day, as will Lewis and
>> Dennis. They will take you for beers and you will all get on fine,
>> going deeply into the form element and its various children - mind you,
>> not until after the eighth round.

> Unlikely since I don't do rounds.

I want to know who this Dennis person is? After all, I'm sure that whilst
lecturing me on etiquette and courtesy, no-one would be so disrespectful
as to repeatedly misspell my name, would they?

--
Denis McMahon, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Lewis

In message <1w5wjyzktj9fw.10t87l6cbje76$(E-Mail Removed)>
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 06:24:04 +0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:

>> In message <6pocxisxvtpk.tielumplkkrj$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
>>> So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
>>> The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
>>> They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
>>> Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
>>> Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
>>> Now what?

>> You need a script to accept the submission of the form with the
>> checkbox(es). This can either be live on the page, or based on a submit
>> button.
>>
>>> Somewhere, somehow, some action is required to pass the value contained in
>>> the checkbox to something else.

>> Yes, and that is outside the scope of HTML. You use HTML to create the
>> page, including checkboxes. Something else has to process the input.

> So what is the point of discussing how to code the stuff without showing
> how to use it in real life?

Right on schedule, richard in all his glorious richardness.

--
I leave symbols to the symbol-minded - George Carlin

dorayme

In article <l0j6rb$1vn$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Denis McMahon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:50:31 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, you do. You are very good that way. Tim Streater will come to
> >> recognise your goodness and warm to you one day, as will Lewis and
> >> Dennis. They will take you for beers and you will all get on fine,
> >> going deeply into the form element and its various children - mind you,
> >> not until after the eighth round.

> > Unlikely since I don't do rounds.

> I want to know who this Dennis person is?
> lecturing me on etiquette and courtesy, no-one would be so disrespectful
> as to repeatedly misspell my name, would they?

Repeatedly? Sure about that? In this thread? Anyway, on the one case I
recall, it was unintentional. As it happens, at that stage I did think
it was with just one n, so I (not very thoroughly it turns out)
checked to see it mentioned - by Tim - and spelt it the same way as he
did in the post I looked at.

Btw, a Premier of Victoria (a first minister of a state government of
Australia) spells his first name with one n. There is a Christian
saint whose name is sometimes so spelt.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Luigi also knew a woman from New Zealand... or, come to think about
> > it, was it Tasmania?
> >

> Ahhh! Luigi! Whatever happened to him? He was really ... umm ... uh
> ... "interesting."

I fear he might be running his one-man business upstairs.

--
dorayme

Denis McMahon

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 12:23:28 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> In article <l0j6rb$1vn$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Denis McMahon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I want to know who this Dennis person is?
>> lecturing me on etiquette and courtesy, no-one would be so
>> disrespectful as to repeatedly misspell my name, would they?

> Repeatedly? Sure about that? In this thread? Anyway, on the one case I
> recall, it was unintentional.

Yes, apologies for that, I should have checked, it was indeed only once.

--
Denis McMahon, (E-Mail Removed)

Tim Streater

In article <l0j6rb$1vn$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Denis McMahon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:50:31 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, you do. You are very good that way. Tim Streater will come to
> >> recognise your goodness and warm to you one day, as will Lewis and
> >> Dennis. They will take you for beers and you will all get on fine,
> >> going deeply into the form element and its various children - mind you,
> >> not until after the eighth round.

> > Unlikely since I don't do rounds.

> I want to know who this Dennis person is? After all, I'm sure that whilst
> lecturing me on etiquette and courtesy, no-one would be so disrespectful
> as to repeatedly misspell my name, would they?

Well I did the first time and then, realising I had, spelt it correctly
after that.

--
Tim

Osmo Saarikumpu

5.9.2013 9:02, richard kirjoitti:
> Anyone have a proper site that gives a more complete example of how to
> completely implement a checkbox?

Sure! It's been waiting a while, but nobody asked until now:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ec.htm&act=url

Have fun

--
Osmo