Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Centering finally fixed? <hr> good for nothing.

Re: Centering finally fixed? <hr> good for nothing.

Tim W

On 12/09/2013 12:00, SZEF PSR wrote:

> But centering hr is now apparently deprecated in a lot attributes!
>
> Useless!
>
> http://www.codehelp.co.uk/html/deprecated.html

Thats html 4. Deprecation has been deprecated in html 5 so you are
alright again.

Tim W

Tim Streater

In article <l0ujrs$iv3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 12/09/2013 12:00, SZEF PSR wrote:
> >
> > But centering hr is now apparently deprecated in a lot attributes!
> >
> > Useless!
> >
> > http://www.codehelp.co.uk/html/deprecated.html

> Thats html 4. Deprecation has been deprecated in html 5 so you are
> alright again.

Thass why all this worrying about it is a waste of time. I use the HTML5
doctype and ignore any hot air about whether something is deprecated.

--
Tim

Christoph Michael Becker

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> So join me in forming a defense for <blink>!
>
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/blink.html

I'm not sure if it's the best idea to keep on using the blink element
and simulating its "intended" behavior with a CSS animation. At least
the resulting behavior is strange, if the browser still does support the
blink element natively (such as Opera 12.15).

Why not simply use something like <span class="blink"> instead?

--
Christoph M. Becker

Jukka K. Korpela

2013-09-16 20:43, Christoph Michael Becker wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> So join me in forming a defense for <blink>!
>>
>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/blink.html

> I'm not sure if it's the best idea to keep on using the blink element
> and simulating its "intended" behavior with a CSS animation.

I’m not sure whether my message and my page are entirely serious. But
still, if what you *mean* is to make text blink, why not use <blink>?
It’s semantic markup, isn’t it, to the extent that there can be, when
your idea is “make it blink!” If the idea is wrong, blame the idea, not
the markup.

> At least
> the resulting behavior is strange, if the browser still does support the
> blink element natively (such as Opera 12.15).

That’s true. Too bad browser vendors were too busy in removing the
support, so that there might not be any suitable feature detection
method to tell whether a browser does <blink>.

> Why not simply use something like <span class="blink"> instead?

Oh, that would not be *semantic* markup, would it? At leastt it should
be <strong class=blink>, should’t it? You can hardly want to make things
blink without wanting to strongly emphasize them.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/