Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > OT-ish - TheBox.biz closing down....

OT-ish - TheBox.biz closing down....

Bret

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:49:00 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

<Snip>

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 17:56:15 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Can you tell me why I need to use a invite only torrent site?
>> Honest question cos I have no idea

> IME they tend to have far more torrents available than 'free' sites that let
> people hit'n'run. Uploaders feel appreciated so tend to go the extra
> mile.....
>
> That's been my experience anyway - although keeping the ratio at or above
> 1:1 can be difficult.

Ok, I'm one of the bad guys
I have gotten some obscure programs from Kat, like the original Survivors
from the 70s and UFO if you remember that show.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:49:00 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
>>> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 17:56:15 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Can you tell me why I need to use a invite only torrent site?
>>> Honest question cos I have no idea

>> IME they tend to have far more torrents available than 'free' sites
>> that let people hit'n'run. Uploaders feel appreciated so tend to go
>> the extra mile.....
>>
>> That's been my experience anyway - although keeping the ratio at or
>> above 1:1 can be difficult.

> Ok, I'm one of the bad guys

Oh, I am too sometimes. It all depends on how much of my quota I have at the
time, when it re-sets etc.

> I have gotten some obscure programs from Kat, like the original
> Survivors from the 70s and UFO if you remember that show.

Heh! I remember them both. You old fart you!
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Bret

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 19:50:38 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:49:00 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>

>>> IME they tend to have far more torrents available than 'free' sites
>>> that let people hit'n'run. Uploaders feel appreciated so tend to go
>>> the extra mile.....
>>>
>>> That's been my experience anyway - although keeping the ratio at or
>>> above 1:1 can be difficult.

>> Ok, I'm one of the bad guys

> Oh, I am too sometimes. It all depends on how much of my quota I have at the
> time, when it re-sets etc.
>
>> I have gotten some obscure programs from Kat, like the original
>> Survivors from the 70s and UFO if you remember that show.

> Heh! I remember them both. You old fart you!

The intro music from UFO makes me smile every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYW7kkHyI4

They can play it at my funeral lol

JohnO

On Friday, 30 August 2013 12:03:25 UTC+12, ~misfit~ wrote:
> .. so there goes my accesss to (free) Formula 1 torrents. Looks like I'm
>
> going to have to give up on one of the very few 'interests' I can 'afford'.
>
> ****!
>

> As I said to my sister in an email the other day; There's no light, just
>
> more tunnel.....
>
> --
>
> /Shaun.
>

> "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
>
> cozy little classification in the DSM."
>
> David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
>
> [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

I'd be very surprised of it can't be found elsewhere...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> On Friday, 30 August 2013 12:03:25 UTC+12, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> .. so there goes my accesss to (free) Formula 1 torrents. Looks like
>> I'm
>>
>> going to have to give up on one of the very few 'interests' I can
>> 'afford'.
>>
>> ****!
>>

> I'd be very surprised of it can't be found elsewhere...

Oh, /usually/ I find it elsewhere. However it's not always uploaded promptly
(important when you're avoiding all media so as not to spoil the enjoyment
of not knowing who's going to win) and often it's on 'ratio' sites and I
find that, seeding from NZ (partly because of timezone and partly because a
lot of torrent software 'chooses' low-ping seeds) it's near impossible to
get the ratio back.

At TheBox they understood this and instead made sports 'neutral' - meaning
that, as long as you seeded it (made it available for seeding) for at least
48 hours over the next week then it didn't count against your ratio. Also
the uploaded was *very* dedicated. He uploaded practice sessions and
qualifying, all made available in under an hour of airing.

I can only hope to find a source that is as good.
--

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 12:04:07 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:

>>> Can't register. The registration page keeps coming up with a
>>> 'please fill in this field' baloon right up at the top left corner
>>> of the browser - where there's no field? Everything is filled in
>>> correctly, re-set the CAPTCHA five times.
>>>
>>> Oh well, I guess I'll try again later. Thanks.

>> You don't need to register just download the torrent, no need to have
>> any share ratio. I have been using kat for some time now.

> If you've watched any of those F1 torrents.... Do you know if they have
> 'Hannibal' on the screen from time-to-time?
>
> (Hannibal is a... errr, was a 'TheBox' capper who got pretty much every F1
> session broadcast in the UK. Often his caps would then migrate to other
> trackers. Just wondering - if that *is* the case and TheBox is down then....
> You know.)
>
> Cheers,

Had a quick look.

http://kickass.to/usearch/Hannibal%20formula%201/

Ray Greene

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 21:07:04 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 19:50:38 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
>>> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:49:00 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> Ok, I'm one of the bad guys

>> Oh, I am too sometimes. It all depends on how much of my quota I have at the
>> time, when it re-sets etc.
>>
>>> I have gotten some obscure programs from Kat, like the original
>>> Survivors from the 70s and UFO if you remember that show.

>> Heh! I remember them both. You old fart you!

Those were the days, theyjust don't make 'em like that any more!

>The intro music from UFO makes me smile every time.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYW7kkHyI4
>
>They can play it at my funeral lol

That was great, thanks Bret. I used to love the old sci-fi shows. What
happened to the future anyway? I'm still waiting for it to happen.
I wanted a flying car and holidays on the moon, and all I got was a
bloody cellphone...

Bret

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 21:45:07 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 21:07:04 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Oh, I am too sometimes. It all depends on how much of my quota I have at the
>>> time, when it re-sets etc.

>>> Heh! I remember them both. You old fart you!

> Those were the days, theyjust don't make 'em like that any more!
>
>>The intro music from UFO makes me smile every time.
>>
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYW7kkHyI4
>>
>>They can play it at my funeral lol

> That was great, thanks Bret. I used to love the old sci-fi shows. What
> happened to the future anyway? I'm still waiting for it to happen.
> I wanted a flying car and holidays on the moon, and all I got was a
> bloody cellphone...

All this tech and what use do we put it to, the cellphones is so your boss
can call you anytime.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 19:50:38 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:

[snip]
>>> I have gotten some obscure programs from Kat, like the original
>>> Survivors from the 70s and UFO if you remember that show.

>> Heh! I remember them both. You old fart you!

> The intro music from UFO makes me smile every time.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYW7kkHyI4
>
> They can play it at my funeral lol

Heh! Nostalgia attack!

(Was that an IBM 'golfball' electric typewriter?)
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 12:04:07 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

[snip]
>> (Hannibal is a... errr, was a 'TheBox' capper who got pretty much
>> every F1 session broadcast in the UK. Often his caps would then
>> migrate to other trackers. Just wondering - if that *is* the case
>> and TheBox is down then.... You know.)

> Had a quick look.
>
> http://kickass.to/usearch/Hannibal%20formula%201/

Yep, them's the ones. Originally if you signed up for TheBox it was strictly
verbotten to upload TB torrents elsewhere - your account was deleted if it
was tracked back to you. Then, after a while I think they changed it to "if
you absolutely *must* upload our torrents elsewhere then be sure to put
attributions in the torrent name".

Actually I think it was that change of attitude that helped to get them
closed down by UK authorities. All of their torrents were not only named for
either TheBox or the capper but a lot of them had a bit of unobtrusive text
overlaid on the video with uploaders name and 'TheBox'. (Oh, in case you
didn't know they were strictly UK TV only.)

Cheers,