Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] tens - The Duck Comments

Re: [SI] tens - The Duck Comments

PeterN

On 8/26/2013 10:09 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/ten
> ‘Duck comments:

> Peter Newman:
> Ten-01:
> Abstract success!! A great, and imaginative execution of an in-camera
> multi-exposure. This one works.

Thanks, Far more of them don't work, than do.

> Ten-02 (lines & intersections):
> OK! Here is one of my technical nit picks. While this is a great
> opportunistic capture, your attention to detail in post fails this
> image. You have a truly dirty sensor and there are dust spots all over
> this image, which are at the very least distracting.. Clean your sensor,
> and/or spot heal in post.

Don't know what caused that, but for some reason, possibly I was tired,
I didn't notice the spots until it was too late.

> Ten-03:
> This shot is a fair enough high ISO, low speed capture of the lights and
> bridges. I feel the image as submitted might be suffering from JPEG
> compression.

Yes, there was a loss due to compression. I still need to do a tad more
post.

As always, I appreciate comments, favorable, and not. I actually prefer
unfavorable comments, with reasons. That way I may improve.

--
PeterN
A/K/A the Faustian.

PeterN

On 8/28/2013 6:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-08-28 15:33:10 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

>>> Thanks, Far more of them don't work, than do.

>>> Don't know what caused that, but for some reason, possibly I was
>>> tired, I didn't notice the spots until it was too late.

>> Dust, or the D800 "spot syndrome". This is not the first of your D800
>> shots with dust spot problems. Remember this, all the spots are
>> indicated in red.
>> <
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...326-spotsw.jpg
>> >

> This one ID's more of the spots:
> <
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3325-Spotw.jpg
>

>> You really need to clean the sensor on the D800. It seems to be more
>> than the in-camera dust removal system can handle.
>>
>> I gave these links to rwalker to help with his focus screen crud problem.
>> <
>> http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C...-Supplies.aspx
>>

>> < http://photosol.com/ >
>> < http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html >

>>> Yes, there was a loss due to compression. I still need to do a tad
>>> more post.

>> I have a feeling that this might be a case where less is more.
>>
>>> As always, I appreciate comments, favorable, and not. I actually
>>> prefer unfavorable comments, with reasons. That way I may improve.

>> ...and therein lies the spirit of the SI.

I had the sensor cleaned professionally, before the trapeze shot was
taken. I culdn't find dust spots on other shots. I wonder, I had just
changed lenses, and it was quite windy.

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 8/28/2013 10:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-08-28 19:26:09 -0700, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> I had the sensor cleaned professionally, before the trapeze shot was
>> taken. I culdn't find dust spots on other shots. I wonder, I had just
>> changed lenses, and it was quite windy.

> Well, the spots are undeniably there, you should get your money back.
> <
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3325-Spotw.jpg
>

> However, changing lenses in windy conditions is not the best idea. If
> you can't get back to your car, or some shelter, having a change bag is
> a good way to to give yourself some protection. A pillow case does a
> good job.
>
> An easy way to check for spots is to take a shot of a solid color field
> like a clear blue sky, or a "green screen". Then check that image for
> spots. Whoever did your "professional cleaning" should have done that
> before returning your camera to you.
>
> I have never needed to have somebody else clean any of my dirty sensors.
> My OJT under fire was with my dust magnet D70. With that camera wet
> cleaning became second nature to me.
>
> Along with all sorts of cleaning stuff at home, I have one of the
> Photographic Solutions, "Professional Digital Survival Kits" in my bag.
> This also includes a useful magnifying lens with LED light. For your
> D800 you will need the type 3 swabs.
> < http://photosol.com/product/digital-...sional-type-3/ >

Thanks

--