Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Begginner Projects.

Begginner Projects.

ME V2.0

I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm looking for small projects that could help me practice. I need a project that will let apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have forgotten them in a week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rupert Swarbrick

"ME V2.0" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm
> looking for small projects that could help me practice. I need a
> project that will let apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have
> forgotten them in a week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I recommend Project Euler problems [1]. Frankly, you're going to want to
throw away code you write shortly after starting to learn a language,
and these problems are all short and self-contained enough that you can
write something shortish and then throw it away after it works.

Obviously, this won't help you with the design of larger-scale projects,
but I'd suggest you get comfortable with the language before starting
one: it's easy to get tied in knots with complicated infrastructure and
never have anything to show for it.

Rupert

[1] http://projecteuler.net

Jorgen Grahn

On Wed, 2013-08-28, ME V2.0 wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm
> looking for small projects that could help me practice. I need a
> project that will let apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have
> forgotten them in a week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Implement the top-20 utility discussed here last week.

top20 some_text_file
outputs the 20 lines of 'some_text_file' which sort first,
like Unix sort some_text_file | head -20 would.
top20 file1 file2 file3
is the same thing, except the three files are seen as
one big file
top20
is the same thing, except you read from std::cin.
top20 -N42 file
produces a top-42 list instead
top20 -r file
reverses the sorting, like sort -r
top20 -n file
does a numerical sort, like sort -n
top20 -N5 -n -r file
the options combine, of course

Write it so the program doesn't use more memory the larger the input
file is.

Also construct test cases. Not unit tests but full-system tests.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

ME V2.0

Thanks Rupert! These are exactly the kinds of problems I was looking for.

Öö Tiib

On Wednesday, 28 August 2013 03:35:15 UTC+3, ME V2.0 wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm looking for
> small projects that could help me practice. I need a project that will let
> apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have forgotten them in a week.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Net is full of collections of made up programming problems, puzzles and
challenges. Like it: http://www.spoj.com/problems/classical/
Those often aid to help to learn to face various complexities of
programming. Issue is that the results are often useless in practice.

Other option is to set your goals fully yourself. We use IT daily
in every field of living. The ways how to make same (even tiny bit)
better (more enjoyably/accurately/efficiently) are endless. You can
write small programs for that. If you succeed then the results of
your attempts are useful immediately. If you fail then you learn
something. That may be more satisfying than to solve programming
puzzles.

pini pini is offline
Junior Member
Location: israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME V2.0 View Post
I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm looking for small projects that could help me practice. I need a project that will let apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have forgotten them in a week. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here some examples which I did for the very same purpose:
h===://bknpk.no-ip.biz/my_web/SystemC_MyFirst/cPPmy_first_text.html

For an SD slave with Samsung flash (k9f120 project, I wrote a reference model, in c++, that generates ECC for a 256 bytes.
h===://bknpk.no-ip.biz/my_web/SDIO/sd_cpp_ecc_single_errHamming.html