Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > [SI] Tem - Cooper comments

Reply
Thread Tools

[SI] Tem - Cooper comments

 
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2013
Bowser - No wonder the "The Wave is one of your favorite images. It
would be one of anyone's. Nice conversion to black and white.

The fisheye lens shot of the playground equipment is an interesting
attempt, but lacks something. I'd try a selection of the left half,
flopping it, and flattening. That would make the right half a mirror
image of the left half. As long as we're going weird, go all the way.

I got the significance of 10 with the basketball hoop, but just
meeting the mandate isn't enough. There should be something of
interest.

Bob Coe - Interior architecture is difficult (for me, at least) and
offers some interesting shapes and designs. I'd like the auditorium a
little less dark, but the dark vignetting does work.

Martha Coe - I like these early northeast US buildings and the idea of
documenting them before they're gone forever. I think the building on
the left is the most interesting, and would have shot to frame just
that.

Thistles are like cockroaches...they'll be here forever no matter what
the landscapers do. The image isn't outstanding on its own, but does
tie in with the documentation of what is now but will be gone from
that site.

It's a shame that the mural might be lost. Again, good to document
these things. As a photograph, I'd take out the fire alarm and the
Exit sign, but purists like everything retained.

Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
Zoom.

There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
camera.

Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
whatever to the diagonal left.

Tim Conway - As mentioned about Bowser's hoop, meeting the mandate
isn't enough. The sandwich poster meets, but doesn't interest. Ditto
for the other 10 10 10 10 10.

It's just the opposite with the landscape. I don't care what the
mandate is, this is an excellent photo. Go buy a frame.

Eric Stevens - Old machinery and vehicles is a favorite subject of
mine. This shot, though, doesn't present an interesting view of the
grader. Zoom in and get some aspect with more interest if you can't
get the whole thing in an interesting setting.

Trains are tough subjects for me. I look at them and think there's
something good here, but often can't isolate one frame that works.
That's the case here, too, with the locomotive. I really don't like
that bright corner at lower right. It's what I see first, and it has
nothing to do with the subject. The streetcar wheel is better.

The Duck - That's my kind of shot. The hat covering the face makes
this one. I don't remember the color version, but if there's chalk
drawings on the pavement I might have preferred that. Generally, I
like black and white for "Street candids", but if the color adds an
element I'll go for color. I wouldn't use color just for the pastel
sticks, though.

San Simeon beach is the type of shot I'll never come up with, but I
like the result. I'd not see the photograph that's there. The color
blending in this is superb.

The black and white canyon shot is of less interest to me. While it
does have an Adams-like look, it's just kind of muddy - except for the
water - to me. But, then, I'm not a landscape person.

Tony Cooper - I've commented on mine in another thread. I did try to
shoot three for the mandate of "10", though.

DanP - The tower clock just doesn't do it for me. Seems out-of-focus
with the salient details obscured.

The planes, though, *do* do it. Extraordinary timing in the capture.
An overall favorite of the bunch for me just for the skill of waiting
for that moment.

The lightning shot is another extraordinary timing capture, but calls
for a white stroke border frame in the black PBase black background
screen. It's so hard to tell where the image stops and the background
begins on the right. Those three dots of light on the far right look
like they were not in the scene.

I miss Otter's shots. He usually comes up with something good.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2013
On 8/27/2013 12:01 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

>
> Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
> and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
> Zoom.


Thanks. I think of all photographs as interpretations. Some of mine are
simply more of an abstraction, than others.

>
> There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
> ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
> Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
> camera.
>


AS I said earlier. I must have been really tired to miss those spots. I
looked at other images and they don't seem to show those spots. Strange.

> Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
> Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
> whatever to the diagonal left.


The purpose of the shoot was to catch the full moon rising over the
bridges. The location is a little over an hour from where I live.
Although shooting conditions were not ideal, I did what I culd to make
the best of it.

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate that neither you nor the Duck pull
punches.

--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2013
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:20:40 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8/27/2013 12:01 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>
>>
>> Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
>> and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
>> Zoom.

>
>Thanks. I think of all photographs as interpretations. Some of mine are
>simply more of an abstraction, than others.
>
>>
>> There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
>> ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
>> Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
>> camera.
>>

>
>AS I said earlier. I must have been really tired to miss those spots. I
>looked at other images and they don't seem to show those spots. Strange.
>
>> Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
>> Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
>> whatever to the diagonal left.

>
>The purpose of the shoot was to catch the full moon rising over the
>bridges. The location is a little over an hour from where I live.
>Although shooting conditions were not ideal, I did what I culd to make
>the best of it.
>
>Thanks for commenting. I appreciate that neither you nor the Duck pull
>punches.


I sometimes wonder if I should add more positive comments or form them
in a more obvious way. While I do say so when I like an image, people
tend to miss the positive and read only the critical comments.

I quite liked the Zoom photo. It's not my kind of thing, but I know
enough about what you go for that I can see that you nailed this one.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2013
On 8/29/2013 9:51 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:20:40 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 8/27/2013 12:01 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Peter Newman - Peter seems to like to do anything but capture realism,
>>> and that's fine. Quite an interesting result here with the Multiple
>>> Zoom.

>>
>> Thanks. I think of all photographs as interpretations. Some of mine are
>> simply more of an abstraction, than others.
>>
>>>
>>> There was a photograph in the Trapeze artist, but it is absolutely
>>> ruined by the dust spots. Go buy a Giotto blower and get to work. The
>>> Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to D800s should impound that
>>> camera.
>>>

>>
>> AS I said earlier. I must have been really tired to miss those spots. I
>> looked at other images and they don't seem to show those spots. Strange.
>>
>>> Good think the bridges were photographed at night. No dust spots.
>>> Interesting play with the bright moon at the right and the bright
>>> whatever to the diagonal left.

>>
>> The purpose of the shoot was to catch the full moon rising over the
>> bridges. The location is a little over an hour from where I live.
>> Although shooting conditions were not ideal, I did what I culd to make
>> the best of it.
>>
>> Thanks for commenting. I appreciate that neither you nor the Duck pull
>> punches.

>
> I sometimes wonder if I should add more positive comments or form them
> in a more obvious way. While I do say so when I like an image, people
> tend to miss the positive and read only the critical comments.
>
> I quite liked the Zoom photo. It's not my kind of thing, but I know
> enough about what you go for that I can see that you nailed this one.
>


I think I understand you enough to know when you like something. Just
stay the way you are. I'm fine with that.

--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furniture - Cooper's comments Tony Cooper Digital Photography 8 06-12-2013 12:45 PM
Cooper's Comments - NTX Tony Cooper Digital Photography 10 04-30-2013 11:28 AM
Shoot-In Comments by Cooper Tony Cooper Digital Photography 0 03-20-2013 02:33 AM
Steeples - Cooper's Comments Tony Cooper Digital Photography 8 02-15-2013 01:56 AM
SI Comments - Cooper Tony Cooper Digital Photography 22 01-22-2013 12:42 AM



Advertisments