Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Focus trap with manual lens

Focus trap with manual lens

Sandman

I've been googling and the results seem bleak, but I'll ask here as
well. Can I focus trap with a manual lens on Nikon (D800/D4)?

Specifically, I would like to depress the shutter release fully and then
twist my focus ring and the camera fires the shutter when it detects a
focus. This would be great for taking pictures of moving subjects (i.e.
children) when using manual lenses. I just frame the playing child,
depress the shutter button and slightly turn the focus ring and *click*.

As far as I can make out, focus priority require autofocus. I.e. focus
priority is ignored unless the camera is in AF-S mode.

BUt am I missing something?

--
Sandman[.net]

otter

On 8/27/2013 3:31 AM, Sandman wrote:
> I've been googling and the results seem bleak, but I'll ask here as
> well. Can I focus trap with a manual lens on Nikon (D800/D4)?
>
> Specifically, I would like to depress the shutter release fully and then
> twist my focus ring and the camera fires the shutter when it detects a
> focus. This would be great for taking pictures of moving subjects (i.e.
> children) when using manual lenses. I just frame the playing child,
> depress the shutter button and slightly turn the focus ring and *click*.
>
> As far as I can make out, focus priority require autofocus. I.e. focus
> priority is ignored unless the camera is in AF-S mode.
>
> BUt am I missing something?

If you glue a focus confirmation chip on your lens, you can do it.

RichA

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:31:36 AM UTC-4, Sandman wrote:
> I've been googling and the results seem bleak, but I'll ask here as
>
> well. Can I focus trap with a manual lens on Nikon (D800/D4)?
>

> Specifically, I would like to depress the shutter release fully and then
>
> twist my focus ring and the camera fires the shutter when it detects a
>
> focus. This would be great for taking pictures of moving subjects (i.e.
>
> children) when using manual lenses. I just frame the playing child,
>
> depress the shutter button and slightly turn the focus ring and *click*.
>

> As far as I can make out, focus priority require autofocus. I.e. focus
>
> priority is ignored unless the camera is in AF-S mode.
>

> BUt am I missing something?
>

> --
>
> Sandman[.net]

Get a mirrorless camera with "focus peaking."

Ghost-Rider

Le 27/08/2013 10:31, Sandman a écrit :

> As far as I can make out, focus priority require autofocus. I.e. focus
> priority is ignored unless the camera is in AF-S mode.

Works in AF-C mode too. That's how I trap my insects, but not with a
manual lens though.

Sandman

In article <kvmlm7$7j0$(E-Mail Removed)>, otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On 8/27/2013 3:31 AM, Sandman wrote:
> > I've been googling and the results seem bleak, but I'll ask here as
> > well. Can I focus trap with a manual lens on Nikon (D800/D4)?
> >
> > Specifically, I would like to depress the shutter release fully and then
> > twist my focus ring and the camera fires the shutter when it detects a
> > focus. This would be great for taking pictures of moving subjects (i.e.
> > children) when using manual lenses. I just frame the playing child,
> > depress the shutter button and slightly turn the focus ring and *click*.
> >
> > As far as I can make out, focus priority require autofocus. I.e. focus
> > priority is ignored unless the camera is in AF-S mode.
> >
> > BUt am I missing something?
> >

> If you glue a focus confirmation chip on your lens, you can do it.

Yes, that's what I've learned. So I've actually ordered one now. Thanks
for the comment!

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

In article <kvmqqk$qnp$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ghost-Rider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Le 27/08/2013 10:31, Sandman a écrit :
>
> > As far as I can make out, focus priority require autofocus. I.e. focus
> > priority is ignored unless the camera is in AF-S mode.

> Works in AF-C mode too. That's how I trap my insects, but not with a
> manual lens though.

Exactly, the manual lens is the problem here. the AF metering engine
apparently turns of when in manual mode, so even if the metering detects
focus, the software in the camera is not detecting it - according to
some sources on the web...

--
Sandman[.net]

Ghost-Rider

Le 29/08/2013 09:44, Sandman a écrit :

> Ghost-Rider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Le 27/08/2013 10:31, Sandman a écrit :
>>
>>> As far as I can make out, focus priority require autofocus. I.e. focus
>>> priority is ignored unless the camera is in AF-S mode.

>> Works in AF-C mode too. That's how I trap my insects, but not with a
>> manual lens though.

> Exactly, the manual lens is the problem here. the AF metering engine
> apparently turns of when in manual mode, so even if the metering detects
> focus, the software in the camera is not detecting it - according to
> some sources on the web...

I can confirm that the metering system of the D90 and of the D7000 work
with a manual lens and the little light in the viewfinder turns green
when focus is acquired but unfortunately that is not connected to the
shutter which can be fired independently of the focus.
Maybe somebody could hack that.

Sandman

In article <kvo35b$plf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ghost-Rider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Le 29/08/2013 09:44, Sandman a écrit :
>
> > Ghost-Rider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Works in AF-C mode too. That's how I trap my insects, but not with a
> >> manual lens though.

> > Exactly, the manual lens is the problem here. the AF metering engine
> > apparently turns of when in manual mode, so even if the metering detects
> > focus, the software in the camera is not detecting it - according to
> > some sources on the web...

> I can confirm that the metering system of the D90 and of the D7000 work
> with a manual lens and the little light in the viewfinder turns green
> when focus is acquired but unfortunately that is not connected to the
> shutter which can be fired independently of the focus.
> Maybe somebody could hack that.

Yes, according to several sources, you can get a glue-on AF chip for any
lens. So you fool the camera that it has an AF lens, and with the
correct settings, you should be able to trap focus. I've ordered one and
I'll report back when I got it

--
Sandman[.net]

Ghost-Rider

Le 29/08/2013 21:40, Sandman a écrit :
> In article <kvo35b$plf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ghost-Rider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Exactly, the manual lens is the problem here. the AF metering engine
>>> apparently turns of when in manual mode, so even if the metering detects
>>> focus, the software in the camera is not detecting it - according to
>>> some sources on the web...

>> I can confirm that the metering system of the D90 and of the D7000 work
>> with a manual lens and the little light in the viewfinder turns green
>> when focus is acquired but unfortunately that is not connected to the
>> shutter which can be fired independently of the focus.
>> Maybe somebody could hack that.

> Yes, according to several sources, you can get a glue-on AF chip for any
> lens. So you fool the camera that it has an AF lens, and with the
> correct settings, you should be able to trap focus. I've ordered one and
> I'll report back when I got it

I have a 500 mm fully manual old mirror lens so I would be very
interested. Focusing with such a beast is quite an experience so if the
shutter was released only when focus is acquired that would be grand !
I'm waiting for your feed-back.

PeterN

On 8/29/2013 4:40 PM, Ghost-Rider wrote:

<snip>

> I have a 500 mm fully manual old mirror lens so I would be very
> interested. Focusing with such a beast is quite an experience so if the
> shutter was released only when focus is acquired that would be grand !
> I'm waiting for your feed-back.

I too have an old 500 mirror. Every so often I take it out and try. One
of my friends uses one for close focus work, with extension tubes.
I have never had success with it for wildlife.

--
PeterN