Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB3 and a Transcend card reader

USB3 and a Transcend card reader

Peter Huebner

My Transcend card reader worked a treat with USB3, until I did a rom
update on it. The updater also installed some different .inf files in
windows I noted. Now - the card reader only works intermittently. It
will keep disconnecting, and only comes back online after minutes at
times. This applies both to usb3 and the usb2 ports. It is the same for
both the VIA controlled ports and the Intel controlled ports, so I'm
pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the chips on the mobo, or even
the drivers for that matter (tried out several drivers on the VIA
controller, all with the same symptoms of failure though).

The updated card reader also works flawlessly on my laptop with Win8 on
it.

So I conclude that the updater has messed up my .inf files for Win7-
64bit on the big machine.

Can anyone make a suggestion how I might delete the offending muck in
the hope that it will re-load .inf files that actually work?
There are registry entries for USB storage devices for instance, and I
am not too sure if I can simply go and delete those without possibly
causing further damage.

open to suggestions.

I'm fortunately not totally stuck since I can clear the cards on to the
laptop and then transfer them to the desktop machine, but it's a kludge.

cheers, and tia -Peter

Gordon

On 2013-08-25, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My Transcend card reader worked a treat with USB3, until I did a rom
> update on it.

I have to ask why? as what were you thinking? If it anit broke do not fix it
eh?

> open to suggestions.

Nevertheless would you take them?

Frank Williams

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 16:05:24 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My Transcend card reader worked a treat with USB3, until I did a rom
>update on it. The updater also installed some different .inf files in
>windows I noted. Now - the card reader only works intermittently. It
>will keep disconnecting, and only comes back online after minutes at
>times. This applies both to usb3 and the usb2 ports. It is the same for
>both the VIA controlled ports and the Intel controlled ports, so I'm
>pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the chips on the mobo, or even
>the drivers for that matter (tried out several drivers on the VIA
>controller, all with the same symptoms of failure though).
>
>The updated card reader also works flawlessly on my laptop with Win8 on
>it.
>
>So I conclude that the updater has messed up my .inf files for Win7-
>64bit on the big machine.
>
>Can anyone make a suggestion how I might delete the offending muck in
>the hope that it will re-load .inf files that actually work?
>There are registry entries for USB storage devices for instance, and I
>am not too sure if I can simply go and delete those without possibly
>causing further damage.
>
>open to suggestions.
>
>I'm fortunately not totally stuck since I can clear the cards on to the
>laptop and then transfer them to the desktop machine, but it's a kludge.
>
>cheers, and tia -Peter

Have you updated the USB 3 drivers on the PC, on mine they seems to be
updated every few months, infact just Dnload the new ones today..

You can also update the System .inf files for the mother board, like the
Intel .inf file for my MoBo..

Its easy to find what .inf file its using they should all be in the INF
folder for the main Windows system

Also here is a Free tool that might help

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
> My Transcend card reader worked a treat with USB3, until I did a rom
> update on it. The updater also installed some different .inf files in
> windows I noted. Now - the card reader only works intermittently. It
> will keep disconnecting, and only comes back online after minutes at
> times. This applies both to usb3 and the usb2 ports. It is the same
> for both the VIA controlled ports and the Intel controlled ports, so
> I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the chips on the mobo, or
> even the drivers for that matter (tried out several drivers on the VIA
> controller, all with the same symptoms of failure though).
>
> The updated card reader also works flawlessly on my laptop with Win8
> on it.
>
> So I conclude that the updater has messed up my .inf files for Win7-
> 64bit on the big machine.
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion how I might delete the offending muck in
> the hope that it will re-load .inf files that actually work?
> There are registry entries for USB storage devices for instance, and I
> am not too sure if I can simply go and delete those without possibly
> causing further damage.
>
> open to suggestions.
>
> I'm fortunately not totally stuck since I can clear the cards on to
> the laptop and then transfer them to the desktop machine, but it's a
> kludge.
>
> cheers, and tia -Peter

Hi Peter,

I just checked and my 64-bit W7 install has the option to roll back the
driver in Device manager. Would this not do?

(This is the reason I use Acronis True Image. I take a 'Precaution' image of
the boot partition before doing any driver updating or the like.)

Best,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Peter Huebner

In article <kvcc89$lg5$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Hi Peter,
>
> I just checked and my 64-bit W7 install has the option to roll back the
> driver in Device manager. Would this not do?

Hi Shawn,
driver rollback is greyed out, it's a generic MS driver
that's being used when I checked just now.

I had a mystery recovery just now. I used the usb2 cable for the kindle
with it and it worked ... I then experimentally used a usb3 cable and it
still worked. First time since June that I could look at more than two
photos without it disconnecting and giving trouble.

One of those weird things? Maybe just going into device properties and
asking it to update the driver may have set something right. Go figure.
It did in fact not update the driver but told me that it was using the
most recent one.

I'm not holding my breath just yet ....

.... won't be able to play more with it for a few days, I'm coming
down to Ak tomorrow morning for a few days away from doing dementia care
up here. Going to relax for a bit.

Brought back nearly 2000 photo files from my Aussie holiday back in
April. (most are raw/jpg doubled up, so it's only about 1000 photos).

thanks for your input, -P.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <kvcc89$lg5$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I just checked and my 64-bit W7 install has the option to roll back
>> the driver in Device manager. Would this not do?
>>

> Hi Shawn,
> driver rollback is greyed out, it's a generic MS driver
> that's being used when I checked just now.
>
> I had a mystery recovery just now. I used the usb2 cable for the
> kindle with it and it worked ... I then experimentally used a usb3
> cable and it still worked. First time since June that I could look at
> more than two photos without it disconnecting and giving trouble.
>
> One of those weird things? Maybe just going into device properties and
> asking it to update the driver may have set something right. Go
> figure. It did in fact not update the driver but told me that it was
> using the most recent one.
>
> I'm not holding my breath just yet ....
>
> .... won't be able to play more with it for a few days, I'm coming
> down to Ak tomorrow morning for a few days away from doing dementia
> care up here. Going to relax for a bit.
>
> Brought back nearly 2000 photo files from my Aussie holiday back in
> April. (most are raw/jpg doubled up, so it's only about 1000 photos).
>
> thanks for your input, -P.

Hi Peter,

I'm pleased that it's working for now. I think you might have scared it into
behaving.

Enjoy your time in Auckland mate, it's good to relax now and then.

Best,