Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I wonder....

Reply
Thread Tools

I wonder....

 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2013
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:10:24 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> The three classic Frankenpads are....

>
> Wow, too many options!
>
> I might do the T60/T61 Frankenpad if the right donor units become
> available, but I need something fairly soon as my home PC is dying and
> I've been looking for an excuse to replace it with something portable.
> My T60 is used for other things, and I want to go 64-bit so a T61
> would be a good choice.


I've got this T60 dual-booting wih 64-bit W7 but, yeah, the major benefit of
64-bit is the ability to handle more RAM and the T60 is limited to 3GB.

If you ever source donor T61s I'm keen to have one. Oh, did I mention that,
if you're going with a T61 board with an nVidia chip it (the mobo, not the
machine) needs to be manufactured after 08/08? before that they had a
massive percentage of failures due to poor solder formulation and the layers
of the GPU daughter card de-laminating. For a while they were doing no
questions asked replacements, even out of warranty. However they've stopped
that now.

(Personally, if I make a T60/1 Frankie (and get the choice) I'd prefer a
planar with Intel graphics. No worries about the nVidia issue and also runs
much cooler - I'm actually in the process of swapping an ATI X1400 T60
planar for an Intel graphics one in a UXGA IPS T60.)

The other benefits of the T61 planar over the T60 is SATA II/300 speed
(important if you're wanting to go SSD) and gen 2 PCIe. It's just such a
shame they didn't make the T61 in 4:3 15" with an IPS screen. Then there'd
be no need for making it. Mind you there's a certian satisfaction to having
'made' something that isn't available to anyone else.

(That said there's a guy on teh forums who makes and sells 'ultimate' T60/1
Frankies [with an LED backlit UXGA screen, an option that Lenovo didn't
offer], he seems to turn out one a week or so. He somehow bought up new-old
stock of the correct T61 planars - lucky bastard!)

>> I read recently that, while they're the worlds biggest supplier of
>> PCs they actually sold more tablets et al than PCs last year -
>> mostly in China.

>
> I think that's the way of the future. A guy was showing me his new
> Samsung tablet today and it's a brilliant bit of kit, especially given
> the size. I think that in a few years there won't be much call for
> desktop PCs.


Yeah - although I like to have a keyboard. (LOL, I make enough typos with a
proper keyboard!) Also I game a little - albeit with hardware that's a few
years old so I'll be into desktops too for the forseeable future. (I tried
consoles and didn't like them.) I guess that also being an invalid - at home
all day every day - I have no need for a pocket-sized computer.
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2013
On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 20:39:56 +1200, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:10:24 +1200, "~misfit~"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
>>> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:17:33 +1200, "~misfit~"

>China.
>
>I think that's the way of the future. A guy was showing me his new
>Samsung tablet today and it's a brilliant bit of kit, especially given
>the size. I think that in a few years there won't be much call for
>desktop PCs.



For Games and adaptability the desktop PC will never die.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2013
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:23:07 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got this T60 dual-booting wih 64-bit W7 but, yeah, the major benefit of
>64-bit is the ability to handle more RAM and the T60 is limited to 3GB.


I just priced RAM for a T61 - around $400 for 8GB!
Old RAM prices are a killer. I think that's going to make that project
a bit too expensive. Along with a decent sized hard drive, a USB 3
card and the possibility of needing a new battery on an old laptop I
might not get much change out of $1000. I could put together a very
nice desktop machine for that price...

>If you ever source donor T61s I'm keen to have one. Oh, did I mention that,
>if you're going with a T61 board with an nVidia chip it (the mobo, not the
>machine) needs to be manufactured after 08/08? before that they had a
>massive percentage of failures due to poor solder formulation and the layers
>of the GPU daughter card de-laminating. For a while they were doing no
>questions asked replacements, even out of warranty. However they've stopped
>that now.


I read that the later Nvidia cards had that problem solved. You can't
go wrong with the Intel chipsets though.

>(Personally, if I make a T60/1 Frankie (and get the choice) I'd prefer a
>planar with Intel graphics. No worries about the nVidia issue and also runs
>much cooler - I'm actually in the process of swapping an ATI X1400 T60
>planar for an Intel graphics one in a UXGA IPS T60.)
>
>The other benefits of the T61 planar over the T60 is SATA II/300 speed
>(important if you're wanting to go SSD) and gen 2 PCIe. It's just such a
>shame they didn't make the T61 in 4:3 15" with an IPS screen. Then there'd
>be no need for making it. Mind you there's a certian satisfaction to having
>'made' something that isn't available to anyone else.


That's half the fun, it's like building a hotrod. But not as cool...


>(That said there's a guy on teh forums who makes and sells 'ultimate' T60/1
>Frankies [with an LED backlit UXGA screen, an option that Lenovo didn't
>offer], he seems to turn out one a week or so. He somehow bought up new-old
>stock of the correct T61 planars - lucky bastard!)


Yes I saw that, he had set up a good wee sideline building them. He
didn't seem to be having any problem selling them either.

>>> I read recently that, while they're the worlds biggest supplier of
>>> PCs they actually sold more tablets et al than PCs last year -
>>> mostly in China.

>>
>> I think that's the way of the future. A guy was showing me his new
>> Samsung tablet today and it's a brilliant bit of kit, especially given
>> the size. I think that in a few years there won't be much call for
>> desktop PCs.

>
>Yeah - although I like to have a keyboard. (LOL, I make enough typos with a
>proper keyboard!) Also I game a little - albeit with hardware that's a few
>years old so I'll be into desktops too for the forseeable future. (I tried
>consoles and didn't like them.) I guess that also being an invalid - at home
>all day every day - I have no need for a pocket-sized computer.


It'll be a year or two before they catch up with PCs, but it'll
happen. It's where all the development effort is focused, and PC
hardware has just about hit the limits for useful improvements that
can be made.
I'm not a gamer, I don't know if they even have any decent games for
them yet, but you can hook up a keyboard and mouse and external screen
no problem. I can even do that on my Samsung phone. It looks pretty
awesome on a 40" TV screen
But I'll be sticking with a PC for the meantime. I'm comfortable with
the technology, and I find that I don't use my phone for much more
than email and occasional web browsing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2013
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 16:36:36 +1200, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 20:39:56 +1200, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:10:24 +1200, "~misfit~"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
>>>> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:17:33 +1200, "~misfit~"

>>China.
>>
>>I think that's the way of the future. A guy was showing me his new
>>Samsung tablet today and it's a brilliant bit of kit, especially given
>>the size. I think that in a few years there won't be much call for
>>desktop PCs.

>
>
>For Games and adaptability the desktop PC will never die.


It wasn't that long ago they said that about CRT monitors
It wasn't that long ago that I took a trailer load of them from work
to the tip. A couple had never even been used...

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2013
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:23:07 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> If you ever source donor T61s I'm keen to have one. Oh, did I
>> mention that, if you're going with a T61 board with an nVidia chip
>> it (the mobo, not the machine) needs to be manufactured after 08/08?
>> before that they had a massive percentage of failures due to poor
>> solder formulation and the layers of the GPU daughter card
>> de-laminating. For a while they were doing no questions asked
>> replacements, even out of warranty. However they've stopped that now.

>
> I read that the later Nvidia cards had that problem solved.


Indeed - that's why I said after 08/08 above. Any mobo manufactured after
August 2008 was fine.

> You can't go wrong with the Intel chipsets though.


True. The Intel graphics in the T60 is rather limited but the T61s
integrated Intel graphics is about 2 x as powerful.

>> (Personally, if I make a T60/1 Frankie (and get the choice) I'd
>> prefer a planar with Intel graphics. No worries about the nVidia
>> issue and also runs much cooler - I'm actually in the process of
>> swapping an ATI X1400 T60 planar for an Intel graphics one in a UXGA
>> IPS T60.)
>>
>> The other benefits of the T61 planar over the T60 is SATA II/300
>> speed (important if you're wanting to go SSD) and gen 2 PCIe. It's
>> just such a shame they didn't make the T61 in 4:3 15" with an IPS
>> screen. Then there'd be no need for making it. Mind you there's a
>> certian satisfaction to having 'made' something that isn't available
>> to anyone else.

>
> That's half the fun, it's like building a hotrod. But not as cool...
>


I agree that it's half the fun. Yeah, you can't go showing it off in the
main street like you can a hotrod (without being branded crazy). However I
think it *is* as cool - in a geek-chic way.

>> (That said there's a guy on teh forums who makes and sells
>> 'ultimate' T60/1 Frankies [with an LED backlit UXGA screen, an
>> option that Lenovo didn't offer], he seems to turn out one a week or
>> so. He somehow bought up new-old stock of the correct T61 planars -
>> lucky bastard!)

>
> Yes I saw that, he had set up a good wee sideline building them. He
> didn't seem to be having any problem selling them either.


No, there are plenty of people (relatively speaking) who know just how
awesome a well-made T60/1 FrankenPad really is and are willing to pay more
for one than they would pay for a new i5 or i7 consumer-level machine.

>>> I think that's the way of the future. A guy was showing me his new
>>> Samsung tablet today and it's a brilliant bit of kit, especially
>>> given the size. I think that in a few years there won't be much
>>> call for desktop PCs.

>>
>> Yeah - although I like to have a keyboard. (LOL, I make enough typos
>> with a proper keyboard!) Also I game a little - albeit with hardware
>> that's a few years old so I'll be into desktops too for the
>> forseeable future. (I tried consoles and didn't like them.) I guess
>> that also being an invalid - at home all day every day - I have no
>> need for a pocket-sized computer.

>
> It'll be a year or two before they catch up with PCs, but it'll
> happen. It's where all the development effort is focused, and PC
> hardware has just about hit the limits for useful improvements that
> can be made.
> I'm not a gamer, I don't know if they even have any decent games for
> them yet, but you can hook up a keyboard and mouse and external screen
> no problem. I can even do that on my Samsung phone. It looks pretty
> awesome on a 40" TV screen


It'd be a bit of a freak-out to answer the damn thing if it rang while
hooked up to a TV, mouse and keyboard though yeah? <g> Oh, I guess you'd
have a Bluetooth device constantly clipped to your ear (in that scenario).

> But I'll be sticking with a PC for the meantime. I'm comfortable with
> the technology, and I find that I don't use my phone for much more
> than email and occasional web browsing.


I'm comfortable with PC tech too. My phone is mainly used for phone calls
and texting and it's not a smart phone per se. I suppose it's best described
as 'mildy gifted', it's capable of basic web broswing and email - it's just
a proper PITA to do so on it.

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-10-2013
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:17:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> It also goes a long way to explain the extensive 'Frankenpad'
>> culture. These same people (who likely didn't end up running fortune
>> 500 companies) want to keep on using their beloved (pre-*total*
>> Lenovo takeover) ThinkPads and so are focusing their not
>> inconsiderable intellects into ways of extending the lives of the
>> 'classic' ThinkPads. You and I are fortunate that these folks
>> consider the T60 to be one of - if not *the* last classic TP. We get
>> to share the fruits of their labours. It's all good.
>>
>> Then there are both the German and Asian ThinkPad fanatics who're
>> also pushing the boundaries of what can be done with classic TPs.

>
> I did a search for Frankenpad on the weekend and I was amazed at the
> number of hits I got. People have sure put a lot of work into them.
> I'm not sure if I would go to that much trouble though. I might just
> get a T61 and leave it as standard, it would still be a good machine.


The latest FrankenPad - courtesy of a group of Chinese TP fans:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...110787&start=0

Although whether it actually gets outside China remains to be seen. I've
just spent an hour or so with Google Translate reading the Chinese site.
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2013
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:44:50 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The latest FrankenPad - courtesy of a group of Chinese TP fans:
>
>http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...110787&start=0
>
>Although whether it actually gets outside China remains to be seen. I've
>just spent an hour or so with Google Translate reading the Chinese site.


I finally remembered to check back here...

That's a pretty amazing project. You have to admire that level of DIY!
I hope it works out, I imagine the guy would make quite a few sales.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2013
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:44:50 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The latest FrankenPad - courtesy of a group of Chinese TP fans:
>>
>> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...110787&start=0
>>
>> Although whether it actually gets outside China remains to be seen.
>> I've just spent an hour or so with Google Translate reading the
>> Chinese site.

>
> I finally remembered to check back here...
>
> That's a pretty amazing project. You have to admire that level of DIY!
> I hope it works out, I imagine the guy would make quite a few sales.


It *is* amazing and just goes to show the level of commitment that some
people feel for the classic 4:3 ThinkPad. To design and build a whole new
motherboard for a T4x ThinkPad that takes an i5 or i7 and has much more
modern I/O is awesome!

If the project ever comes to fruition and is readilly available (*and* I can
find the funds at the time) I'd be in for two of them (or the possible later
T6x 4:3 version). I say two because it would probably be unlikely to happen
again and so I'd want to have a back-up.

(Then the T43p and T42p 15" UXGA TPs I have would get a lot more use than
they do now! Or perhaps both of my T42ps, the 15" UXGA FlexView and my 14"
SXGA+ T42p.... One 'home' unit and one mobile....)

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GotApex reviews the ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT. Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-18-2005 03:56 AM
ATI All-In-Wonder X800XL 256MB PCIE Video Card Review #607: Silverstrand Front Page News 1 10-06-2005 07:33 AM
HEXUS.review :: Exclusive :: ATI ALL-IN-WONDER X800 GT ... Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-28-2005 09:50 PM
Connect3D All-in-Wonder Radeon X800 XT 256MB AGP Silverstrand Front Page News 3 06-30-2005 05:48 AM
Re: Wonder why GC has only 2 generations ... here is the answer. Richard Blewett ASP .Net 0 10-31-2004 10:50 AM



Advertisments