Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I wonder....

I wonder....

Ray Greene

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:20:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:

>[snipped]
>
>>> So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

>> Yeah, I'm thinking so too. Might go get one tomorrow.

>OK. I rather foolishly (from a financial PoV) bought a Seagate 2TB USB3
>"Expansion" external HDD yesterday from DSE. They had a Father's Day special
>and were putting them out the door at $119 each.

Good score, that's a nice price all right.

>For a start that's a crazy price! I normally use Ascent but I know others
>don't, they're slightly dearer but often goods are here in less than 24
>hours and they have *excellent* after-sales service. Also their prices
>include delivery so there are no nasty purprises. The other most commonly
>referred to supplier seems to be PB tech hereabouts so I'll use those two;
>
>Ascent have the same drive for $146, PB Tech have it for $113.85. (****!
>That surprised me!)
>
>As for a Seagate 2TB 7,200 internal:
>
>Ascent $155 and PB Tech $136.85. (I have no idea how much PB would charge
>for shipping as I don't have an account with them and it seems I need one to
>find out.)
>
>Anyway, externals are much cheaper than internals and others (both here and
>on teh webz) have said they've used them internally with no problems. (Not
>the same story for WD apparently...)
>
>So I opened my new external HDD up (and likely voided the three-year
>warranty) to find a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001, apparently the same drive
>as the bare drives quoted above. The firmware is version CC45 and I can't
>find much on Google about that. However I see that Seagate *do* supply
>downloadable firmware for these (in case it needs updating for desktop use)
>and other drives, you just need the cable. However I don't intend to use it
>as a desktop drive.

I wasn't aware you needed a special cable to update firmware, I
thought the SATA cable would be all that was required. Live and
learn...

>(LOL, ironically I recently threw away a Nokia USB - serial cable that
>apparently can be used for this purpose. I always have at least a couple
>'Damn!' moments when I have a clear-out of stuff that's either obsolete or
>hasn't been used for years.)

Been there, done that, every time I have a clean out too.

>So anyway, it took me a while to test things out. I want to be able to
>access my collection of desktop drives via USB 3 rather than the USB2 dock
>I've been using. (Ironically, when I set up my external storage system bare
>desktop drives were considerably cheaper than enclosed external drives - the
>opposite situation to how things are now.) I priced a USB3 dock and they're
>~$70 so I was looking for another option.
>
>My biggest concern was if the interface card would work for my 2TB WD green
>drives that are 'Advanced Format' as most Seagate drives, while internally
>AF, present to the computer as backward compatible. As the WDs were all full
>it took me the better part of a day to empty one - just in case the
>interface card destroyed the partition or something. I'd already tested with
>older Seagate drives and it worked just fine. After emptying a WD HDD it
>also worked well.
>
>So, not a bad deal really. A 2TB HDD much cheaper than you'd pay for it bare
>but also not only the interface card but a USB3 cable (you'll be lucky to
>pick one up for under $10) *and* a 12v / 1.5 amp SMPS plug-pack. (I find 12v
>ones always handy.)
>
>So, I decided to test speeds. I have an add-in USB3 PCIe card in my desktop
>so was plugging into a port on that. I copied the same 21GB folder each time
>from the fixed HDD to the empty 2TB WD Green drive to get an idea of how
>fast it was. Here's the results:
>
>Using Seagate USB3 interface card:
>
> 5:15 averaging 63.5MB/sec
>
>Using a WD USB2 interface card:
>
> 10:55 averaging 29.5MB/sec
>
>Just for the heck of it I tried the WD USB2 plugged into a (ICH9) USB2
>motherboard port:
>
> 15:50 averaging 22.0MB/sec!
>
>So not only was using the USB3 interface card a big improvement but using a
>USB2 device in a USB3 port was quite a bit faster (something I'd read
>elsewhere but hadn't tested - cutting a third off the time is pretty damn
>convincing - I know which ports I'll be plugging into!).

That's something else I wasn't aware of, it's good to know.

USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
the Thinkpad.

>Anyway, just FYI in case anyone wanted to know how it went after my
>questions.

Thanks for the followup. It's always interesting to know how these
things work out.

Ray Greene

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:46:24 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:39:54 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

>>>I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go

>> Good to know, but - bugger...

>I have a good paperweight now though

If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet

Bret

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:54:18 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 20:46:24 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Good to know, but - bugger...

>>I have a good paperweight now though

> If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet

For sure, I have a cluster of hard drive magnets.
I cover them with heatshrink for fridge use though.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
[big snip]
> USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
> the Thinkpad.

Ok, another FYI then.

I bought this one from DX:
http://dx.com/p/pcmcia-usb3-0-card-for-laptop-93716

It works OK (for the most part) but it sticks out a bit and is annoying. I
just thought it was bad Chinese design. Then I read:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110163

In the first post dr_st points out that the T60 Expresscard slot is a few mm
shallower than standard and that an AKE 54mm Expresscard - which is also a
bit short - sits perfectly flush in the T60. That card can be got for only
~$1.50 more than the one I got here:

http://dx.com/p/ake-54mm-express-car...otebook-113152

I wish I'd got that one now. I figured I'd save a dollar or two and I
wouldn't need two USB 3 ports. Now I'll order one when I get a few dollars
spare. Having the card stick out - albeit by only a couple mm - annoys me.

> Thanks for the followup. It's always interesting to know how these
> things work out.

You're more than welcome.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
> [big snip]
>> USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
>> the Thinkpad.

> Ok, another FYI then.
>
> I bought this one from DX:
> http://dx.com/p/pcmcia-usb3-0-card-for-laptop-93716
>
> It works OK (for the most part) but it sticks out a bit and is
> annoying. I just thought it was bad Chinese design. Then I read:
>
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110163
>
> In the first post dr_st points out that the T60 Expresscard slot is a
> few mm shallower than standard and that an AKE 54mm Expresscard -
> which is also a bit short - sits perfectly flush in the T60. That
> card can be got for only ~$1.50 more than the one I got here:
>
> http://dx.com/p/ake-54mm-express-car...otebook-113152
>
> I wish I'd got that one now. I figured I'd save a dollar or two and I
> wouldn't need two USB 3 ports. Now I'll order one when I get a few
> dollars spare. Having the card stick out - albeit by only a couple mm
> - annoys me.

Ray, it would pay to read that forum post right through. It seems there
might be an issue with the controller in the AKE card and the Gen. 1 PCIe
used in the T60 meaning you have to remove and re-insert it to get full
speed. (Something to do with ASPM power management slowing it down after a
while?)

I have question in to the OP in that thread about it, just to double-check.
The card I have (the first link to DX above) has a Fresco Logic FL1000
controller.

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Ray Greene

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:27:35 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
>> [big snip]
>>> USB3 is a big improvement, I'm going to have to get a USB3 card for
>>> the Thinkpad.

>> Ok, another FYI then.
>>
>> I bought this one from DX:
>> http://dx.com/p/pcmcia-usb3-0-card-for-laptop-93716
>>
>> It works OK (for the most part) but it sticks out a bit and is
>> annoying. I just thought it was bad Chinese design. Then I read:
>>
>> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110163
>>
>> In the first post dr_st points out that the T60 Expresscard slot is a
>> few mm shallower than standard and that an AKE 54mm Expresscard -
>> which is also a bit short - sits perfectly flush in the T60. That
>> card can be got for only ~$1.50 more than the one I got here:
>>
>> http://dx.com/p/ake-54mm-express-car...otebook-113152
>>
>> I wish I'd got that one now. I figured I'd save a dollar or two and I
>> wouldn't need two USB 3 ports. Now I'll order one when I get a few
>> dollars spare. Having the card stick out - albeit by only a couple mm
>> - annoys me.

>Ray, it would pay to read that forum post right through. It seems there
>might be an issue with the controller in the AKE card and the Gen. 1 PCIe
>used in the T60 meaning you have to remove and re-insert it to get full
>speed. (Something to do with ASPM power management slowing it down after a
>while?)
>
>I have question in to the OP in that thread about it, just to double-check.
>The card I have (the first link to DX above) has a Fresco Logic FL1000
>controller.

OK thanks for the helpful info, I'll read that a couple more times
before I whip out the credit card. I think I'll need to read up on
pciutils too. The AKE card looks good if that power issue could be
solved.

Ray Greene

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:23:23 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:54:18 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

>>>I have a good paperweight now though

>> If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet

>For sure, I have a cluster of hard drive magnets.
>I cover them with heatshrink for fridge use though.

I never thought of that! I'm going to try it at work tomorrow.

Bret

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 22:18:32 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 08:23:23 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> If you dismantle it you'll have a really good fridge magnet

>>For sure, I have a cluster of hard drive magnets.
>>I cover them with heatshrink for fridge use though.

> I never thought of that! I'm going to try it at work tomorrow.

Use the thinnest shrink you have as they lose a bit of grip.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
[snip]
> OK thanks for the helpful info, I'll read that a couple more times
> before I whip out the credit card. I think I'll need to read up on
> pciutils too. The AKE card looks good if that power issue could be
> solved.

Cool. Let me know if you manage to sort the power issue out. That's a bit
beyond me and I need to use most of my 'low pain' time to sort out essential
things about the house etc. so would rather not have to learn it from
scratch.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
[snip]
> OK thanks for the helpful info, I'll read that a couple more times
> before I whip out the credit card. I think I'll need to read up on
> pciutils too. The AKE card looks good if that power issue could be
> solved.

The latest from the OP in that thread (in another thread):

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...716126#p716126

Or:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=105968

(The last few posts.)