Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I wonder....

I wonder....

~misfit~

.... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
other brands / sizes of HDD?

There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and using
the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an internal HDD
everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of using the adapter part
with other drives.

I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of internal
drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and, rather than buy a
USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I
was thinking about getting a Seagate 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using
the small PCB from that to access my other drives via USB 3.....

(Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable - Same
as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a 2TB HDD *and* a
USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have the $$ to spend but I'm
due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch of things have been *not* going
my way recently - hence needing a replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other
things.)

Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could always just
use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if it doesn't work. :-/

Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend.

Gordon

On 2013-08-23, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
> other brands / sizes of HDD?

Leaving aside the USB3 side of things. I had an external seagate external
HD which went dead. So I thought I would take some of my frustration out by
pulling it apart, carefully. It was basically a plastic case around a metal
chasis to hold the HD and the USB2 to SATA interface.

All HDs I have plugged in have worked. Threw away the plastic case as it was
damaged.

This is for the 3.5" version. Some of the 2.5" ones do very "clever" things
which make the drive attached ti the USB to SATA interface.

SATA is a standard is it not? So any SATA male and female should work just
fine together.

Ray Greene

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:31:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
>other brands / sizes of HDD?
>
>There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and using
>the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an internal HDD
>everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of using the adapter part
>with other drives.
>
>I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of internal
>drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and, rather than buy a
>USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I
>was thinking about getting a Seagate 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using
>the small PCB from that to access my other drives via USB 3.....
>
>(Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable - Same
>as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a 2TB HDD *and* a
>USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have the $$ to spend but I'm
>due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch of things have been *not* going
>my way recently - hence needing a replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other
>things.)
>
>Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could always just
>use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if it doesn't work. :-/

I understand that some external USB hard drives have firmware that is
modified for better performance under USB. That sometimes affects the
performance for the worse if they are plugged directly to a SATA
connection on a PC.

I would expect a foreign drive would work in the adapter, but if the
adapter is optimised to use the original firmware then maybe
performance would be adversely affected. Or maybe not... it probably
wouldn't be a major performance hit in any case. I've swapped out
drives in USB adapters in the past without problems, but that was back
before they had things like custom firmware or USB 3.

So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

Incidentally as far as the warranty goes, I had a couple of dead
drives at work for which I had no record of where I bought them. I
discovered that both Seagate and WD's website have a page where you
can make a warranty claim. I had to send the drives to Singapore I
think it was, but for the cost of the courier - about $20 - I got 2
new drives. So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
jump through the required hoops.

>Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend.

You too.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2013-08-23, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used
>> with other brands / sizes of HDD?

> Leaving aside the USB3 side of things. I had an external seagate
> external HD which went dead. So I thought I would take some of my
> frustration out by pulling it apart, carefully. It was basically a
> plastic case around a metal chasis to hold the HD and the USB2 to
> SATA interface.
>
> All HDs I have plugged in have worked. Threw away the plastic case as
> it was damaged.
>
> This is for the 3.5" version. Some of the 2.5" ones do very "clever"
> things which make the drive attached ti the USB to SATA interface.
>
> SATA is a standard is it not? So any SATA male and female should work
> just fine together.

Sounds good Gordon, thanks for the feedback.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:31:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used
>> with other brands / sizes of HDD?
>>
>> There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and
>> using the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an
>> internal HDD everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of
>> using the adapter part with other drives.
>>
>> I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of
>> internal drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and,
>> rather than buy a USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be
>> obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I was thinking about getting a Seagate
>> 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using the small PCB from that to
>> access my other drives via USB 3.....
>>
>> (Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable
>> - Same as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a
>> 2TB HDD *and* a USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have
>> the $$ to spend but I'm due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch
>> of things have been *not* going my way recently - hence needing a
>> replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other things.)
>>
>> Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could
>> always just use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if
>> it doesn't work. :-/

> I understand that some external USB hard drives have firmware that is
> modified for better performance under USB. That sometimes affects the
> performance for the worse if they are plugged directly to a SATA
> connection on a PC.

Yep. However I'm wanting to go the otherway. Incidently I thought the same
thing but, according to all accounts I read on teh webz, nobody who
documented their 'process' reported trouble with the HDD. <shrug>

> I would expect a foreign drive would work in the adapter, but if the
> adapter is optimised to use the original firmware then maybe
> performance would be adversely affected. Or maybe not... it probably
> wouldn't be a major performance hit in any case. I've swapped out
> drives in USB adapters in the past without problems, but that was back
> before they had things like custom firmware or USB 3.
>
> So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

Yeah, I'm thinking so too. Might go get one tomorrow. There's five paydays
for me in October (which, as a rule means I get a small surplus for the
month - which I usually pay off a card) so, if I can somehow wangle the
money until then...

> Incidentally as far as the warranty goes, I had a couple of dead
> drives at work for which I had no record of where I bought them. I
> discovered that both Seagate and WD's website have a page where you
> can make a warranty claim. I had to send the drives to Singapore I
> think it was, but for the cost of the courier - about $20 - I got 2
> new drives. So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
> dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
> jump through the required hoops.

Also good to know. Thanks.

>> Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend.

> You too.

Cheers. I shall indeed try to.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Frank Williams

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used with
>other brands / sizes of HDD?
>
>There are plenty of 'how to' vids on youtube about opening them and using
>the HDD internally (as they're around 15% cheaper than an internal HDD
>everywhere it seems). However there's no mention of using the adapter part
>with other drives.
>
>I have a couple USB 2 'docks' for SATA drives and over 7TB of internal
>drives that I use externally. However it's so slow and, rather than buy a
>USB 3 dock (~$75) which is just going to be obsoleted like the USB 2 dock I
>was thinking about getting a Seagate 2TB USB 3 external for $120 and using
>the small PCB from that to access my other drives via USB 3.....
>
>(Yeah, I have an eSATA dock too but I find that it's not so reliable - Same
>as the one it replaced... This just seems like a bargain, a 2TB HDD *and* a
>USB 3 to SATA interface for $120! Not that I have the $$ to spend but I'm
>due some luck, it seems that a whole bunch of things have been *not* going
>my way recently - hence needing a replacement mobo for a T60 amongst other
>things.)
>
>Any thoughts? Or should I just suck it and see? I guess I could always just
>use it as designed (sans warranty and a bit chipped) if it doesn't work. :-/
>
>Cheers folks, hope you have a good weekend.

These drives no longer have SATA ports..

Bret

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:04:35 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

> . So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
> dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
> jump through the required hoops.

I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go

Ray Greene

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:00:37 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:04:35 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
>
>> . So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
>> dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
>> jump through the required hoops.

>I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go

Good to know, but - bugger...

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:31:30 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> ... if the USB3 to SATA PCB from a Seagate external HDD can be used
>>> with other brands / sizes of HDD?

[snipped]

>> So, the answer is a definite maybe. But I would be fairly confident.

> Yeah, I'm thinking so too. Might go get one tomorrow.

OK. I rather foolishly (from a financial PoV) bought a Seagate 2TB USB3
"Expansion" external HDD yesterday from DSE. They had a Father's Day special
and were putting them out the door at $119 each.

For a start that's a crazy price! I normally use Ascent but I know others
don't, they're slightly dearer but often goods are here in less than 24
hours and they have *excellent* after-sales service. Also their prices
include delivery so there are no nasty purprises. The other most commonly
referred to supplier seems to be PB tech hereabouts so I'll use those two;

Ascent have the same drive for $146, PB Tech have it for $113.85. (****!
That surprised me!)

As for a Seagate 2TB 7,200 internal:

Ascent $155 and PB Tech $136.85. (I have no idea how much PB would charge
for shipping as I don't have an account with them and it seems I need one to
find out.)

Anyway, externals are much cheaper than internals and others (both here and
on teh webz) have said they've used them internally with no problems. (Not
the same story for WD apparently...)

So I opened my new external HDD up (and likely voided the three-year
warranty) to find a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001, apparently the same drive
as the bare drives quoted above. The firmware is version CC45 and I can't
find much on Google about that. However I see that Seagate *do* supply
downloadable firmware for these (in case it needs updating for desktop use)
and other drives, you just need the cable. However I don't intend to use it
as a desktop drive.

(LOL, ironically I recently threw away a Nokia USB - serial cable that
apparently can be used for this purpose. I always have at least a couple
'Damn!' moments when I have a clear-out of stuff that's either obsolete or
hasn't been used for years.)

So anyway, it took me a while to test things out. I want to be able to
access my collection of desktop drives via USB 3 rather than the USB2 dock
I've been using. (Ironically, when I set up my external storage system bare
desktop drives were considerably cheaper than enclosed external drives - the
opposite situation to how things are now.) I priced a USB3 dock and they're
~$70 so I was looking for another option.

My biggest concern was if the interface card would work for my 2TB WD green
drives that are 'Advanced Format' as most Seagate drives, while internally
AF, present to the computer as backward compatible. As the WDs were all full
it took me the better part of a day to empty one - just in case the
interface card destroyed the partition or something. I'd already tested with
older Seagate drives and it worked just fine. After emptying a WD HDD it
also worked well.

So, not a bad deal really. A 2TB HDD much cheaper than you'd pay for it bare
but also not only the interface card but a USB3 cable (you'll be lucky to
pick one up for under $10) *and* a 12v / 1.5 amp SMPS plug-pack. (I find 12v
ones always handy.)

So, I decided to test speeds. I have an add-in USB3 PCIe card in my desktop
so was plugging into a port on that. I copied the same 21GB folder each time
from the fixed HDD to the empty 2TB WD Green drive to get an idea of how
fast it was. Here's the results:

Using Seagate USB3 interface card:

5:15 averaging 63.5MB/sec

Using a WD USB2 interface card:

10:55 averaging 29.5MB/sec

Just for the heck of it I tried the WD USB2 plugged into a (ICH9) USB2
motherboard port:

15:50 averaging 22.0MB/sec!

So not only was using the USB3 interface card a big improvement but using a
USB2 device in a USB3 port was quite a bit faster (something I'd read
elsewhere but hadn't tested - cutting a third off the time is pretty damn
convincing - I know which ports I'll be plugging into!).

Anyway, just FYI in case anyone wanted to know how it went after my
questions.
--

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:39:54 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:00:37 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:04:35 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
>>
>>> . So if you did have a drive die on you after you'd
>>> dismantled the case you might still be able to make a claim if you
>>> jump through the required hoops.

>>I tried that with a 1TB WD, the serial flagged it as a usb so no go

> Good to know, but - bugger...

I have a good paperweight now though