Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > (Urgent) Help in Wellington please!

(Urgent) Help in Wellington please!

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 28/08/2013 7:02 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:

>>> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
>>> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated **** in comparison.
>>>
>>> Posted from a T61p....

>> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
>> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
>> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.
>>

> It's got a 1920x1200 IPS panel in it - I doubt there's much
> improvement to be had, and the case seems every bit as robust as the
> T60 and R60 which preceeded it.

That sounds like a sweet screen. Was it a PITA to find and fit? One of the
biggest reasons the TP crowd value the T60 so much is it was the *last* TP
that had an IPS screen factory-fitted. Lenovo never fitted an IPS screen to
a T61/p.

(There's a hugely long thread on the Lenovo forums about it - going back
years. Lenovo's stand was that they couldn't get at least two suppliers to
provide IPS screens for the T61 so they wouldn't offer them. Company policy
is that they won't fit any third-party item to a ThinkPad if there is only
one supplier of it. Otherwise if the supply company goes toes-up - or
decides to charge heaps more, then Lenovo are in the ****. The thread went
on for years with several posts by Lenovo representitives.)

I have an R61 here that a friend left me when he 'upgraded' to (my spare)
T60 UXGA IPS. The R61 has a hi-res short-screen and I get a headache when I
use it for more than an hour. Doing a clean install of Windows was terrible!

> The T510 sat in the corner feels far less robust and is only
> 1920x1080... I miss the extra resolution when I use it.

Yeah, they got progressively worse - it was all downhill from the T60
(unless you are prepared to 'FrankenPad' your T61. <g>).

Speaking of - I have an LED backlit UXGA 15" IPS screen sitting in customs
in Wellington. My mate who left the R61 and took my hi-specced T60 sent me a
'care package' when he got back to NYC. To replace my spare T60 he sent me a
screen he got from a forum member (TuuS) who wouldn't ship outside the US.
(Theory being I can sell the R61, get a standard T60 for the same money then
upgrade it to UXGA using the screen.) He also threw in a second set of
sheets for my spare bed as cushioning (it was a hassle washing and drying
the one set when he was staying here) and a few other odds and ends....

Now NZ Customs want me to pay over $120 GST and import duty before they'll
release it! They're even charging me GST on the US$80 it cost him to send
it! I'm going to call them later and see what can be sorted out as I don't
have the money.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Ray Greene

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:15:23 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:

>>> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
>>> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated **** in comparison.
>>>
>>> Posted from a T61p....

>> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
>> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
>> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.

>There's a catch to that though - the only T61 mobo that will fit into a T60
>chassis is from a (very rare) 14.1" 4:3 T61 - and then there's a bit of
>Dremel work to do. As by far most of the T61s are short-screen it can be
>very hard to find a 4:3 T61. I know, I've been looking.

Yes I read that somewhere else too. They don't make it easy do they?
You'd think they would have used the same mobo in all the T61 models.

>(The advantages are the T61 can take more RAM (8GB compared with the T60s
>3GB) and a newer, faster CPU - but not by much.)

I want to use 64-bit Linux, so I could use the extra RAM as well as
needing the better CPU. No rush though, the T60 will do me for the
meantime.

Ray Greene

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:

>>> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
>>> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
>>> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.
>>>

>> It's got a 1920x1200 IPS panel in it - I doubt there's much
>> improvement to be had, and the case seems every bit as robust as the
>> T60 and R60 which preceeded it.

>That sounds like a sweet screen. Was it a PITA to find and fit? One of the
>biggest reasons the TP crowd value the T60 so much is it was the *last* TP
>that had an IPS screen factory-fitted. Lenovo never fitted an IPS screen to
>a T61/p.
>
>(There's a hugely long thread on the Lenovo forums about it - going back
>years. Lenovo's stand was that they couldn't get at least two suppliers to
>provide IPS screens for the T61 so they wouldn't offer them. Company policy
>is that they won't fit any third-party item to a ThinkPad if there is only
>one supplier of it. Otherwise if the supply company goes toes-up - or
>decides to charge heaps more, then Lenovo are in the ****. The thread went
>on for years with several posts by Lenovo representitives.)
>
>I have an R61 here that a friend left me when he 'upgraded' to (my spare)
>T60 UXGA IPS. The R61 has a hi-res short-screen and I get a headache when I
>use it for more than an hour. Doing a clean install of Windows was terrible!
>
>> The T510 sat in the corner feels far less robust and is only
>> 1920x1080... I miss the extra resolution when I use it.

>Yeah, they got progressively worse - it was all downhill from the T60
>(unless you are prepared to 'FrankenPad' your T61. <g>).
>
>Speaking of - I have an LED backlit UXGA 15" IPS screen sitting in customs
>in Wellington. My mate who left the R61 and took my hi-specced T60 sent me a
>'care package' when he got back to NYC. To replace my spare T60 he sent me a
>screen he got from a forum member (TuuS) who wouldn't ship outside the US.
>(Theory being I can sell the R61, get a standard T60 for the same money then
>upgrade it to UXGA using the screen.) He also threw in a second set of
>sheets for my spare bed as cushioning (it was a hassle washing and drying
>the one set when he was staying here) and a few other odds and ends....
>
>Now NZ Customs want me to pay over $120 GST and import duty before they'll
>release it! They're even charging me GST on the US$80 it cost him to send
>it! I'm going to call them later and see what can be sorted out as I don't
>have the money.

What a bugger! Best of luck sorting that out. What happens if you
don't pay them, do they auction it off? You might get your parcel for
five bucks if you put in a bid

Ray Greene

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:54:06 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 28/08/2013 7:02 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:

>>> The future ain't with Dell - we moved that way from HP just under 2
>>> years ago and the Dells are pure unmitigated **** in comparison.
>>>
>>> Posted from a T61p....

>> I read on a forum today that the T60 has a better screen and stronger
>> case, but you can fit the mobo from a T61 into a T60 and get the best
>> of both. Don't know if I would want to go to that much effort though.
>>

>It's got a 1920x1200 IPS panel in it - I doubt there's much improvement
>to be had, and the case seems every bit as robust as the T60 and R60
>which preceeded it.
>
>The T510 sat in the corner feels far less robust and is only
>1920x1080... I miss the extra resolution when I use it.

That's a pretty good resolution. I doubt my eyes could handle it on a
screen that size though.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ray Greene wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> Speaking of - I have an LED backlit UXGA 15" IPS screen sitting in
>> customs in Wellington. My mate who left the R61 and took my
>> hi-specced T60 sent me a 'care package' when he got back to NYC. To
>> replace my spare T60 he sent me a screen he got from a forum member
>> (TuuS) who wouldn't ship outside the US. (Theory being I can sell
>> the R61, get a standard T60 for the same money then upgrade it to
>> UXGA using the screen.) He also threw in a second set of sheets for
>> my spare bed as cushioning (it was a hassle washing and drying the
>> one set when he was staying here) and a few other odds and ends....
>>
>> Now NZ Customs want me to pay over $120 GST and import duty before
>> they'll release it! They're even charging me GST on the US$80 it
>> cost him to send it! I'm going to call them later and see what can
>> be sorted out as I don't have the money.

> What a bugger! Best of luck sorting that out. What happens if you
> don't pay them, do they auction it off? You might get your parcel for
> five bucks if you put in a bid

Thanks for the luck. I have no idea what would happen if I couldn't pay -
likely as you say, it would be auctioned off.

After 25 minutes on hold (0800 number thank the gods) I spoke to a guy and
explained to him that a friend from NYC had visited last month (I asked him
if he wanted the arrival and departure details as he could probably check -
he declined). Anyway, I said that I'm broke, a long-time invalid and, on his
return to NY my friend put together a 'care package' for me (true).

He asked me 'did I ask him for those specific things or did he pick them out
for me?'. I told him that he had a fair idea of what I'd like after spending
a month here (also true) and that I didn't ask him to send them to me
(again, true).

The customs guy said, OK, hang on then, let me do a few calculations.... and
I waited nearly 10 minutes while he clattered away on a keyboard - coughing
straight into the microphone at one point. Then he said that he'd send it on
to me, I wouldn't have to pay anything. Apparently there's a $110 dollar
'gift allowance' on duty and GST on stuff coming into the country - they
only collect if, after that's taken into account, the remainder is over $60.
(Any less and it's not worth the man-hours put into calculating and prinint
up forms etc. to collect.)

He said that, strictly speaking, as the calcs and mailing had already been
done in this case he should charge me the remaining $10 - but he'd write it
off and send the parcel on it's way. I haven't heard back from my friend but
I think he neglected to write 'gift' on the customs form - maybe.... I'll
find out either when he emails back or it gets here. Perhaps the fact that
he declared it as 'computer screen and parts' over-rode a 'gift'
declaration. (Maybe people are getting wise and having 'gift' written on
forms to bypass paying? Just speculation...)

Anyway the upshot is I won't have to put *another* charge on my credit card.
<phew> As it is I have a third party car insurance premium due next month
that will have to go 'on the plastic'.

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Ray Greene

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:53:59 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>(Any less and it's not worth the man-hours put into calculating and prinint
>up forms etc. to collect.)
>
>He said that, strictly speaking, as the calcs and mailing had already been
>done in this case he should charge me the remaining $10 - but he'd write it
>off and send the parcel on it's way. I haven't heard back from my friend but
>I think he neglected to write 'gift' on the customs form - maybe.... I'll
>find out either when he emails back or it gets here. Perhaps the fact that
>he declared it as 'computer screen and parts' over-rode a 'gift'
>declaration. (Maybe people are getting wise and having 'gift' written on
>forms to bypass paying? Just speculation...)
>
>Anyway the upshot is I won't have to put *another* charge on my credit card.
><phew> As it is I have a third party car insurance premium due next month

Well that was a lucky break. Good to know there are some govt
employees who go out of their way to help.

Ray Greene

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 00:50:36 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 29/08/2013 9:47 p.m., Ray Greene wrote:
>> That's a pretty good resolution. I doubt my eyes could handle it on a
>> screen that size though.

>I'm sat here with a vCentre and a dozen SSH sessions open trying to
>resurrect a dead ESX cluster.... every last pixel helps.

Fair enough. I hope you got it sorted.