Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Sending derived info to e-mail

Sending derived info to e-mail

Robert Baer

In javascript, i do a query that the user does not see, and
apparently able to get it into HTML (looks like a document page same
name as HTML page that created the script but only on the screen).
Ideally,what i would like to do is send this info as if i texted it,
say to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) .
I say "texted" because i want to do this on ANY browser, especially
cell-phones.
Which leads me to the question, do ANY "browser-enabled" cell phones
support JS?
And if not,is there any kind of (simple?) script that would be able
to determine info like cellphone make,type,browser - and then "text" it
to (E-Mail Removed)?

Denis McMahon

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:02:03 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

> In javascript .....

It sounds to me as if you're trying to do something that for very good
reasons should be blocked by the phone.

--
Denis McMahon, (E-Mail Removed)

Christoph Michael Becker

<http://jibbering.com/faq/#runServerScript>

--
Christoph M. Becker

Robert Baer

Denis McMahon wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:02:03 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> In javascript .....

> It sounds to me as if you're trying to do something that for very good
> reasons should be blocked by the phone.

Knew squat about texting; fiddled around with 2 cellphones and found
texting,as such,is NOT useful for what i want.
I would like to send an internally generated string (eg: txt="blah
goofus mish mash") to a given e-mailbox (know username and password).

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:43:10 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

> Denis McMahon wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:02:03 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:
>>
>>> In javascript .....

>> It sounds to me as if you're trying to do something that for very good
>> reasons should be blocked by the phone.
>>

> Knew squat about texting; fiddled around with 2 cellphones and found
> texting,as such,is NOT useful for what i want.
> I would like to send an internally generated string (eg: txt="blah
> goofus mish mash") to a given e-mailbox (know username and password).
> Using a mozilla browser for testing, the following JS code does
> nothing (filled out correctly):
> open("POST",url,async,usrname,usrpw)
> send(txt)

For starters, ideally, a browser should not be communicating any data
with anyone without the users knowledge and permission.

A web browser certainly shouldn't be sending arbitrary emails to
arbitrary locations in the background of browsing.

In most web browsers, the only way to send an email involves opening the
users chosen email client with a preloaded message text, and requiring
the user to do the final send step. I say most, because I'm sure that
there must be at least one combination of IE / outlook [express] that
allows OLE hax to send emails from the browser.

However, generally, in javascript code in a sensibly configured browser,
all you can do "in the background" is make ajax requests to a server in
the domain that served the page.

That server can then of course convert those ajax requests into mails,
and send those mails from that server, but that's very different to
having the client browser generate and send those mails.

--

Christoph Michael Becker wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> Using a mozilla browser for testing, the following JS code does
>> nothing (filled out correctly):
>> open("POST",url,async,usrname,usrpw)
>> send(txt)
>>
>> Help?

> <http://jibbering.com/faq/#runServerScript>

Link gets nothing (not even a blank page; "document contains no data").
Even http://www.jibbering.com/ gives this message.
Something else (that may work)?

Robert Baer

Denis McMahon wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:43:10 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

>>> It sounds to me as if you're trying to do something that for very good
>>> reasons should be blocked by the phone.
>>>

>> Knew squat about texting; fiddled around with 2 cellphones and found
>> texting,as such,is NOT useful for what i want.
>> I would like to send an internally generated string (eg: txt="blah
>> goofus mish mash") to a given e-mailbox (know username and password).
>> Using a mozilla browser for testing, the following JS code does
>> nothing (filled out correctly):
>> open("POST",url,async,usrname,usrpw)
>> send(txt)

> For starters, ideally, a browser should not be communicating any data
> with anyone without the users knowledge and permission.
>
> A web browser certainly shouldn't be sending arbitrary emails to
> arbitrary locations in the background of browsing.
>
> In most web browsers, the only way to send an email involves opening the
> users chosen email client with a preloaded message text, and requiring
> the user to do the final send step. I say most, because I'm sure that
> there must be at least one combination of IE / outlook [express] that
> allows OLE hax to send emails from the browser.
>
> However, generally, in javascript code in a sensibly configured browser,
> all you can do "in the background" is make ajax requests to a server in
> the domain that served the page.
>
> That server can then of course convert those ajax requests into mails,
> and send those mails from that server, but that's very different to
> having the client browser generate and send those mails.

Yea; all of the meager info about XMLHttpRequest objects are requests
for info and no real working examples.
The best i could squeeze out was
open("POST",url,async,usrname,usrpsw)
send(txt)
which does not work.

Christoph Michael Becker

Am 21.08.2013 04:27, schrieb Robert Baer:
> Christoph Michael Becker wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>
>>> Using a mozilla browser for testing, the following JS code does
>>> nothing (filled out correctly):
>>> open("POST",url,async,usrname,usrpw)
>>> send(txt)
>>>
>>> Help?

>> <http://jibbering.com/faq/#runServerScript>
>>

> Link gets nothing (not even a blank page; "document contains no data").
> Even http://www.jibbering.com/ gives this message.
> Something else (that may work)?

The site was available just before I posted the message and is available
now. As an alternative you may try:

<http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/#runServerScript>

--
Christoph M. Becker

Denis McMahon

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:37:27 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

> Denis McMahon wrote:

>>> Knew squat about texting; fiddled around with 2 cellphones and
>>> found
>>> texting,as such,is NOT useful for what i want.
>>> I would like to send an internally generated string (eg: txt="blah
>>> goofus mish mash") to a given e-mailbox (know username and password).
>>> Using a mozilla browser for testing, the following JS code does
>>> nothing (filled out correctly):
>>> open("POST",url,async,usrname,usrpw)
>>> send(txt)

>> For starters, ideally, a browser should not be communicating any data
>> with anyone without the users knowledge and permission.
>>
>> A web browser certainly shouldn't be sending arbitrary emails to
>> arbitrary locations in the background of browsing.
>>
>> In most web browsers, the only way to send an email involves opening
>> the users chosen email client with a preloaded message text, and
>> requiring the user to do the final send step. I say most, because I'm
>> sure that there must be at least one combination of IE / outlook
>> [express] that allows OLE hax to send emails from the browser.
>>
>> However, generally, in javascript code in a sensibly configured
>> browser,
>> all you can do "in the background" is make ajax requests to a server in
>> the domain that served the page.
>>
>> That server can then of course convert those ajax requests into mails,
>> and send those mails from that server, but that's very different to
>> having the client browser generate and send those mails.
>>

> Yea; all of the meager info about XMLHttpRequest objects are requests
> for info and no real working examples.
> The best i could squeeze out was
> open("POST",url,async,usrname,usrpsw) send(txt)
> which does not work.

Then you're not looking in the right places.

If you google sensibly there are many working examples of javascript code
to make both asynchronous and synchronous XHRs, both using GET and POST
methods.

You need to set the request up in the web page javascript, and code the
appropriate response handling on your server using php, python, ruby or
whatever your server coding environment is.

This is beyond the scope of an html newsgroup. I suggest you ask in a
javascript newsgroup for information about implementing XHRs in
javascript, and a relevant language forum for your server side
environment about constructing and sending mail from the data it receives.

If you don't have the basic competence to search in the right place for
the help that you need, it's no surprise that you don't find it.

--
Denis McMahon, (E-Mail Removed)

Tim Streater

In article <kv3c88$e54$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Denis McMahon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Then you're not looking in the right places.
>
> If you google sensibly there are many working examples of javascript code
> to make both asynchronous and synchronous XHRs, both using GET and POST
> methods.
>
> You need to set the request up in the web page javascript, and code the
> appropriate response handling on your server using php, python, ruby or
> whatever your server coding environment is.

A simple example may be found here:

<http://www.clothears.org.uk>

It includes both sides of the conversation.

--
Tim