Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Java tops C as most popular language in developer index

Java tops C as most popular language in developer index

Phil Carmody

Mark Storkamp <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In article <kugb9m$ups$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
> > http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...-popular-langu
> > age-in-developer-index-224781
> >
> > Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
> > But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
> > get a total of 25.345.

> That information seems to come from
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html
> where they explain how a change in their method has affected C and
> Objective-C negatively. So either they've been wrong in the past having
> C ahead of Java, or they're wrong now. But with only a 0.004%
> difference, and no margin of error given, it really doesn't matter
> anyway.

They were definitely bogus in the past, which gives me no confidence
that they're not bogus this time round. The last thing you want to
give to someone who's failed at a task is that same task again, surely?

IIRC, in the past it was little more than webgrepping job adverts.
Of course, if an ancient language is disgustingly unpopular amongst
programmers, but lots of businesses needed programmers to maintain
their legacy systems, that would lead to an apparent high popularity

Forget pinches of salt - these figures deserve their own siberian salt mine.

Phil
--
If "law-abiding citizens have nothing to fear" from privacy-invading
technologies and policies, then law-abiding governments should have

Ike Naar

On 2013-08-15, Phil Carmody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The last thing you want to
> give to someone who's failed at a task is that same task again, surely?

People can learn from their mistakes.

Lynn McGuire

On 8/14/2013 11:29 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...r-index-224781
>
> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
> get a total of 25.345.
>
> Lynn

BTW, this was interesting to me since we are
considering converting our Windows desktop
software written in C / C++ to a browser
based software package written in Java and
distributed using Javascript.

Lynn

Ike Naar

On 2013-08-15, Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> BTW, this was interesting to me since we are
> considering converting our Windows desktop
> software written in C / C++ to a browser
> based software package written in Java and
> distributed using Javascript.

What do you mean by "written in C / C++" ?
Are some parts written in C, and other parts in C++?

Keith Thompson

Ike Naar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 2013-08-15, Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> BTW, this was interesting to me since we are
>> considering converting our Windows desktop
>> software written in C / C++ to a browser
>> based software package written in Java and
>> distributed using Javascript.

> What do you mean by "written in C / C++" ?
> Are some parts written in C, and other parts in C++?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction

Lynn McGuire

On 8/15/2013 3:29 PM, Ike Naar wrote:
> On 2013-08-15, Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> BTW, this was interesting to me since we are
>> considering converting our Windows desktop
>> software written in C / C++ to a browser
>> based software package written in Java and
>> distributed using Javascript.

> What do you mean by "written in C / C++" ?
> Are some parts written in C, and other parts in C++?

Much of it is C code pretending to be C++ code.
800K lines. About half of the code was written
before 1990.

Lynn

glen herrmannsfeldt

Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

(snip, someone wrote)
>> What do you mean by "written in C / C++" ?
>> Are some parts written in C, and other parts in C++?

Mostly they are different languages, but ...

There is an old story that you can write Fortran in any language.

Most likely my Java looks more like C than someone writing Java
who never learned C.

> Much of it is C code pretending to be C++ code.
> 800K lines. About half of the code was written
> before 1990.

Probably should just call it C.

-- glen

Lynn McGuire

> Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> (snip, someone wrote)
>>> What do you mean by "written in C / C++" ?
>>> Are some parts written in C, and other parts in C++?

> Mostly they are different languages, but ...
>
> There is an old story that you can write Fortran in any language.
>
> Most likely my Java looks more like C than someone writing Java
> who never learned C.
>
>> Much of it is C code pretending to be C++ code.
>> 800K lines. About half of the code was written
>> before 1990.

> Probably should just call it C.
>
> -- glen

Nope, the code written since 2000 is true C++
and uses polymorphism, inheritance, operator
overloading and virtual methods to the extreme.
That is about 400K lines of C++. Really works
well and is fast to boot. The C++ older than
2000 is ... simplistic is being nice. It was
all ported to C++ by changing the .c to .cpp.

BTW, our calculation engine is 750K lines of F77,
5K lines of C and 5K lines of C++.

I started writing fortran in 1975, and yes, I
can write fortran in any language.

Lynn

Ian Collins

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 8/15/2013 9:17 PM, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> (snip, someone wrote)

>> Mostly they are different languages, but ...
>>
>> There is an old story that you can write Fortran in any language.
>>
>> Most likely my Java looks more like C than someone writing Java
>> who never learned C.
>>
>>> Much of it is C code pretending to be C++ code.
>>> 800K lines. About half of the code was written
>>> before 1990.

>> Probably should just call it C.
>>
>> -- glen

> Nope, the code written since 2000 is true C++
> and uses polymorphism, inheritance, operator
> overloading and virtual methods to the extreme.
> That is about 400K lines of C++. Really works
> well and is fast to boot.

What's the betting it'll run like a three legged dog once it's converted
to Java?

> BTW, our calculation engine is 750K lines of F77,
> 5K lines of C and 5K lines of C++.

That would be even more interesting as Java...

--
Ian Collins

James Kuyper

On 08/15/2013 09:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 8/15/2013 3:29 PM, Ike Naar wrote:

>> What do you mean by "written in C / C++" ?
>> Are some parts written in C, and other parts in C++?

> Much of it is C code pretending to be C++ code.

That explanation is a bit ambiguous. Which language standard comes
closest to describing the behavior of the compiler you use to compile
the code?
--
James Kuyper