Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Java tops C as most popular language in developer index

Java tops C as most popular language in developer index

Lynn McGuire

Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...r-index-224781

Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
get a total of 25.345.

Lynn

Mark Storkamp

In article <kugb9m$ups$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...-popular-langu
> age-in-developer-index-224781
>
> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
> get a total of 25.345.
>
> Lynn

That information seems to come from
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html
where they explain how a change in their method has affected C and
Objective-C negatively. So either they've been wrong in the past having
C ahead of Java, or they're wrong now. But with only a 0.004%
difference, and no margin of error given, it really doesn't matter
anyway.

Jens Stuckelberger

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:29:28 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...a-tops-c-most-

popular-language-in-developer-index-224781

> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index. But when you add C++ and
> Objective C to C, you get a total of 25.345.

Why not add Ada, Haskell and Python, while you are at it? C++ and
Objective C are not C. You might just as well, and probably more
justifiably, add them to Java instead.

Lynn McGuire

On 8/14/2013 11:49 AM, Mark Storkamp wrote:
> In article <kugb9m$ups$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
>> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...-popular-langu
>> age-in-developer-index-224781
>>
>> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
>> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
>> get a total of 25.345.
>>
>> Lynn

> That information seems to come from
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html
> where they explain how a change in their method has affected C and
> Objective-C negatively. So either they've been wrong in the past having
> C ahead of Java, or they're wrong now. But with only a 0.004%
> difference, and no margin of error given, it really doesn't matter
> anyway.

The margin of error is probably +-5%.

Lynn

glen herrmannsfeldt

Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...r-index-224781

> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
> get a total of 25.345.

It always seemed to me that Java was more C-like than C++,
so why not add Java and C?

Just because they have the letter C in the name doesn't
make them similar. Might as well ad COBOL, too.

-- glen

Lynn McGuire

> Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
>> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...r-index-224781

>> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
>> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
>> get a total of 25.345.

> It always seemed to me that Java was more C-like than C++,
> so why not add Java and C?
>
> Just because they have the letter C in the name doesn't
> make them similar. Might as well ad COBOL, too.
>
> -- glen

To me, C++ and Objective C are extensions of
C. Java is a do-over of C.

Lynn

Melzzzzz

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:29:28 -0500
Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...r-index-224781
>
> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
> get a total of 25.345.
>
> Lynn

Hmmmm, Objective-C more popular then PHP? Are they serious?

--
drwxr-xr-x 2 bmaxa bmaxa 4096 Aug 13 21:07 .

James Kuyper

On 08/14/2013 01:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 8/14/2013 11:49 AM, Mark Storkamp wrote:

>> That information seems to come from
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html
>> where they explain how a change in their method has affected C and
>> Objective-C negatively. So either they've been wrong in the past having
>> C ahead of Java, or they're wrong now. But with only a 0.004%
>> difference, and no margin of error given, it really doesn't matter
>> anyway.

> The margin of error is probably +-5%.

Your basis for that estimate is what, exactly? Like most other survey
reports where no attempt is made to estimate the margin of error, it
also doesn't contain enough information to make your own estimate.
Therefore, presumably your estimate is based upon some other source?

James Kuyper

On 08/14/2013 12:29 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...r-index-224781
>
> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
> get a total of 25.345.

Before making a big deal about those results, take a careful look at the
Java and C lines on the "Long term trends" plot for the report that the
article mentioned above was based upon:
<http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html>

Malcolm McLean

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:29:28 PM UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Java tops C as most popular language in developer index:
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/t/java-prog...r-index-224781
>

> Java is 15.978, C is 15.974 using their index.
>
> But when you add C++ and Objective C to C, you
> get a total of 25.345.

Java tends to be used a lot in universities as an introductory programming
language. Since the statistics measure websites that use the language for
pedagogical or demonstrative purposes, that will skew the results.

Most interesting or important functions are coded in C. But a lot of actual
applications are a layer of another language put on top. For instance a typical
application might query a database, and display results on a webpage. The
databases will have a query parsing engine and indexing and caching algorithms,
which are likely to be written in C. The web browser will call code to render
text and images into windows, which will also likely be written in C. But the
two are glued together by a high-level language, which may well not be C.