Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: size of

Re: size of

Sjouke Burry

On 13.08.13 20:43, Raj Pashwar wrote:
> Good Morning:
>
> I am struggling to find, in my C implementation, which header contains
> the sizeof() function. Should it be stdlib.h? Or somewhere else?
>
> Thank You.

Google: man sizeof

Keith Thompson

Sjouke Burry <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 13.08.13 20:43, Raj Pashwar wrote:
>> I am struggling to find, in my C implementation, which header contains
>> the sizeof() function. Should it be stdlib.h? Or somewhere else?
>>

> Google: man sizeof

Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
that the result is of type int.)

Joe Pfeiffer

> Sjouke Burry <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> On 13.08.13 20:43, Raj Pashwar wrote:
>>> I am struggling to find, in my C implementation, which header contains
>>> the sizeof() function. Should it be stdlib.h? Or somewhere else?
>>>

>> Google: man sizeof

> Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
> no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
> looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
> that the result is of type int.)

The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

James Kuyper

On 08/14/2013 12:09 AM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

>> Sjouke Burry <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>>
>>> Google: man sizeof

>> Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
>> no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
>> looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
>> that the result is of type int.)

> The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
> The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
> parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
> integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

Did you get to that page by searching for "sizeof" or "man sizeof"? The
results I got from the latter search on Wikipedia are pretty useless,
which is the same point Keith was making. The results weren't quite as
bad - they didn't include an apparently authoritative but incorrect
description, like the one Keith found.
--
James Kuyper

Joe Pfeiffer

James Kuyper <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 08/14/2013 12:09 AM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Or just "sizeof"; on most systems that have the "man" command, there's
>>> no man page for "sizeof". (The first Google hit for "man sizeof" that
>>> looks like a man page has some significant errors, such as asserting
>>> that the result is of type int.)

>> The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
>> The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
>> parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
>> integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

> Did you get to that page by searching for "sizeof" or "man sizeof"? The
> results I got from the latter search on Wikipedia are pretty useless,
> which is the same point Keith was making. The results weren't quite as
> bad - they didn't include an apparently authoritative but incorrect
> description, like the one Keith found.

googling either 'sizeof' and 'man sizeof' gave me the same wikipedia
page. I missed the "looks like a man page" clause in Keith's post; the
second hit for 'man sizeof'
(http://nesssoftware.com/home/mwc/man...hp?page=sizeof) looks like
what Keith was talking about.

James Kuyper

On 08/14/2013 12:02 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> James Kuyper <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> The wikipedia article that turned up when I tried it just now says
>>> The result of sizeof is the size of the type of the expression or
>>> parenthesized type-specifier that it precedes, and has an unsigned
>>> integral type which is usually denoted by size_t

>> Did you get to that page by searching for "sizeof" or "man sizeof"? The
>> results I got from the latter search on Wikipedia are pretty useless,
>> which is the same point Keith was making. The results weren't quite as
>> bad - they didn't include an apparently authoritative but incorrect
>> description, like the one Keith found.

> googling either 'sizeof' and 'man sizeof' gave me the same wikipedia
> page. ...

Googling for sizeof took me to
<https://www.google.com/search?q=sizeof&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a>
The first hit is the Wikipedia page for Sizeof, which I would recommend.
The misleading man page from nesssoftware.con is nowhere in the top 10.

Googling for "man sizeof" took me to a page which, according to Firefox,
has exactly the same URL, which mentions sizeof but not 'man'. However,
the list of hits is different. The misleading man page from
nesssoftware.com is the first hit, and the Wikipedia page is nowhere in
the top 10.

Googling for man sizeof (without the double quotes) took me to a third
page with exactly the same URL, but now the Wikipedia page is the first
hit, while the misleading nesssoftware.com is in second place.

I had some ideas about how URLs work, and how Google search works, that
are inconsistent with the fact that these three searches produced
exactly the same URLs, but different search results. If anyone could
explain, I'd appreciate it.

Stephen Sprunk

On 14-Aug-13 11:29, James Kuyper wrote:
> I had some ideas about how URLs work, and how Google search works,
> that are inconsistent with the fact that these three searches
> produced exactly the same URLs, but different search results. If
> anyone could explain, I'd appreciate it.

Google returns different results for different people, based on what it
thinks they want to see. It also returns different results over time as
algorithms change, databases are updated, etc. Ergo, referring to its
results without giving a specific target URL is pretty much useless.