Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Long in 16-bits microcontroller?

Re: Long in 16-bits microcontroller?

Les Cargill

James Kuyper wrote:
> On 08/09/2013 02:33 AM, Robert Wessel wrote:
>> Having more than one version of an authoritative document can be an
>> issue. There have been cases with international agreements where
>> authoritative versions* in different language for an agreement
>> differed. The Italo-Abyssian war of 1896 was at least partially
>> caused by such a problem.
>>
>> So the "officialness" of a translation is problematic. The committee
>> could produce a translation, and then say that only the English
>> version is authoritative, ...

> I'm familiar with that issue, and I would expect that if the committee
> did produce the standard in multiple languages, it would identify one
> particular language as the authoritative one - presumably the English
> one, given the history of C. What I was wondering about was the fact
> that I'd heard nothing about any such versions. I'm a little surprised
> at the idea that ISO would be comfortable about producing an
> international standard in only one language.

Why this might be seems abundantly obvious. It simply means that in any
disagreement, the disagreement is an artifact of translation and
the English version is Canon.

> It was perfectly reasonable
> when it was only an ANSI standard, but as soon it became an ISO
> standard, I would have expected it to be governed by an ISO requirement
> that it be officially translated into at least a few other languages.

Franky Four Fingers: So the Biblical scholars mis-translated the Hebrew
word for "young woman" into the Greek word for "virgin," which was a
pretty easy mistake to make, since there is only a subtle difference in
the spelling. But back then it was the "virgin" that caught people's
attention. It's not every day a virgin conceives and bears a son. So
you keep that for a couple of hundred years, and the next thing you
know, you have the Holy Catholic church.

(NSFW link)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208092/quotes

--
Les Cargill