Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: QOS 802.1p implementation

Re: QOS 802.1p implementation

Stephen

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:51:06 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey folks hope all is good.
>:)
>Due to a major hardware catastrophe (router, switch, modem death) on my
>main line I've now got some more up-to date kit in the shop.
>
>Namely a TP-Link TL-SG1016DE smart switch and a Draytek 2920n router
>both of which are 802.1p compatible.
>
>The question really is how is 802.1p "implemented"?
>The switch can be set as either port priority or 802.1p so which part of
>the chain adds the priority tag. The Gigaset S685IP box doesn't have
>anything to set up with regards to QOS so does the switch implement the
>priority tagging automatically?

the convention with IP telephony is that the IP packets for the real
time audio stream should be marked as DSCP EF (expedited forwarding,
46).

Most kit seems to also mark the 802.1p bits as CoS 5 is those packets
are 802.1Q VLAN tagged.

When it comes to the switch then a lot depends on exactly what the
hardware can do and how it gets configured.

There are 3 more or less standard ways to mark "priority" in a packet,
and many packets will carry more than 1 marking, so in reality a
switch which understands QoS will need to ignore all of them, or use 1
inbound "mark" and work on that.

On packets sent out by the switch you can either
- wipe out all CoS, DSCP or some subset of those
- apply a port level marking
- send out the markings that came in (transparent)
- act on 1 inbound type of marking and manipulate that, other gets
zeroed or flow through
- act on 1 such as DSCP, propgate that and synthesize the 802.1p
markings

all of these are useful for some setups, so difficult to tell what
your stuff is doing (and this level of detail doesnt seem to get into
the docs)

>And... if a packet is tagged(?) with 802.1p would this then carry
>through 21CN network and beyond?

802.1p bits are "local significance" within an Ethernet bridged domain
- they get stripped at a router or other layer 3 device
- so unless the device has a mechanism to propagate the CoS level to
the WAN or IP packet info then the priority is left behind.

>Trying to get my head around whether the benefits extend WAN side and
>how VOIP data gets it 802.1p tag in the first place.

802.1p is Ethernet specific

devices are free to ignore it either because the hardware is blind to
it, or because they are not configured to pay attention, so DSLAMs et
al downstream are unlikely to do much

however - LANs often see little benefit from CoS / QoS unless they are
heavily loaded.
- CoS /Qos is all about choosing which packet to operate on next and
or what to delay or throw away, and a lightly loaded LAN working
properly should not need to do much around that.

--
Regards

Qos for VoIP over 802.11g over VPN on 871W ensnare Cisco 0 01-24-2009 06:01 AM
[QOS] minimal hardware and IOS requirement for QOS dominix Cisco 2 02-06-2007 10:19 AM
QOS with 802.1p Guan Foo Wah Cisco 1 01-27-2006 01:53 PM
QOS for VOIP using 768k of FR / Auto QOS Andrew Albert Cisco 7 02-09-2005 07:42 PM
802.11g router / 1 x 802.11b device / 1 x 802.11g device Oli Wireless Networking 3 09-27-2004 11:56 PM

Advertisments