Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Cannot access direct URLs of specific website.

Cannot access direct URLs of specific website.

Matt Graves

A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says "www.example.com/main/". When I hover over a link, "Phone numbers", it will show "www.example.com/phone/", but if I put that into my URL bar, it redirects to the main login for example.com. If I put the username and password in, I am brought right back to the beginning... I was going to use a script to pull some data from this page, but anytime I try to access www.example.com/phone/, it just goes straight to the login page making my script useless.

Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or any sort of script?

JJ

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 14:17:33 -0700 (PDT), Matt Graves wrote:
> A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says "www.example.com/main/". When I hover over a link, "Phone numbers", it will show "www.example.com/phone/", but if I put that into my URL bar, it redirects to the main login for example.com. If I put the username and password in, I am brought right back to the beginning... I was going to use a script to pull some data from this page, but anytime I try to access www.example.com/phone/, it just goes straight to the login page making my script useless.
>
> Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or any sort of script?

Make sure cookies is enabled for that site.

Some sites also check the "Referrer" HTTP header as a kind of bot/hack
protection. So make sure it's enabled too.

Might make no difference, but also try using HTTPS instead of HTTP.

What kind of script are you using?

Jukka K. Korpela

2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:

> A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
> in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
> "www.example.com/main/".

[...]

The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Robert Baer

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:
>
>> A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
>> in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
>> "www.example.com/main/".

> [...]
>> Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
>> or any sort of script?

> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

* Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Jonathan N. Little

Robert Baer wrote:
> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> 2013-08-03 0:17, Matt Graves wrote:
>>
>>> A website that I work with a lot has a strange feature. After logging
>>> in, no matter where you go within the website, the url says
>>> "www.example.com/main/".

>> [...]
>>> Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery
>>> or any sort of script?

>> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

> * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jukka K. Korpela

2013-08-06 7:37, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

>> * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

> Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

More exactly, for example domain names that are presented as pure
examples, manifestly distinct from real examples.

So if a problem is described in terms of example.com URLs, without
disclosing any real facts, it is answerable only in a parallel universe
where example.com is a real domain.

--

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The answer can be found at http://solutions.example.com/strange.html

>> * Address Not Found-----------------------------^

> Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES

So why "lie"?

Jonathan N. Little

Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Denis McMahon

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 14:17:33 -0700, Matt Graves wrote:

> Is there any way around this sort of setup using javascript or jquery or
> any sort of script?

Without a much clearer idea of what you're talking about, or a functional
example (i.e. the real url), it's impossible to answer.

A description of observed behaviour using fake urls does not contain
sufficient information for anyone to determine what's happening client
side, let alone server side.

--
Denis McMahon, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Robert Baer

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> Of course not. example.com is reserved domain for EXAMPLES
>>>

>> So why "lie"?
>>

> Lie? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com>

The reference is not relevant; NO reference is relevant.
The given response SAID that such-and such WAS THE ANSWER and it WAS NOT.
Period.
I was being polite when i put the word LIE in quotes.