Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > File Comparison method Question.

File Comparison method Question.

Enkidu

On 07/08/13 23:05, EMB wrote:
> On 7/08/2013 9:30 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>
>> There's not a lot that you cannot do with a GUI that you can do on the
>> command line.

> Oh yeah? How about "From the command prompt you can run anything on the
> machine even if it's removed from the start menu and the GUI"?

Well, I haven't had much to do with Windows admin for some time, but it
still seems over the top. You are effectively disabling a pile of tools
that are useful in diagnostics, some things won't even run and, from
memory you can't run scripts at boot time and login time.

We didn't remove access to the command prompt, but we had no issues that
could be tracked to commands run in the command prompt.

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <5202afd7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 07/08/13 23:05, EMB wrote:
>> On 7/08/2013 9:30 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> There's not a lot that you cannot do with a GUI that you can do on the
>>> command line.

>> Oh yeah? How about "From the command prompt you can run anything on the
>> machine even if it's removed from the start menu and the GUI"?
>>

>Well, I haven't had much to do with Windows admin for some time, but it
>still seems over the top. You are effectively disabling a pile of tools
>that are useful in diagnostics, some things won't even run and, from
>memory you can't run scripts at boot time and login time.

You can.

>We didn't remove access to the command prompt, but we had no issues that
>could be tracked to commands run in the command prompt.

I've always liked command line, as you can do things there easily that you
can't from elsewhere (eg save a directory listing to a file).

Bruce Sinclair

In article <520216f0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 07/08/13 11:06, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <52008f1c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>>>
>>> Huh?
>>>
>>> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

>> .. unless ... your corporate has removed that option ?
>>
>> "The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator".
>>
>> Yes, I will try that on a home machine.
>>

>Well, I haven't administrated Windows for ages, but that seems over the
>top to me. I browsed around a bit, but didn't find anything about *why*
>it is a good idea to disable it. At one time the argument was that the
>user could disable virus protection, but I don't believe that that is
>necessary these days.
>
>Why is it considered good practise? Wouldn't it stop scripts running at
>boot and login time?

I make no comment about whether a particular practise is considered good or
not.

Scripts can run ... I assume with admin priviledges (or perhaps before
access is turned off ?).

Enkidu

On 13/08/13 18:45, EMB wrote:
> On 13/08/2013 11:18 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>

>> I've always liked command line, as you can do things there easily that
>> you
>> can't from elsewhere (eg save a directory listing to a file).
>>

> Powershell good Sir. The DOS prompt of the future, and you can write
> your own commandlets for it.

....and it has 'ls', 'man', 'grep' and a host of other useful commands!

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <kucklp$35j$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 13/08/2013 11:18 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> I've always liked command line, as you can do things there easily that you
>> can't from elsewhere (eg save a directory listing to a file).
>>

>Powershell good Sir. The DOS prompt of the future, and you can write
>your own commandlets for it.

Thanks. Will investigate.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <5209d6d2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 13/08/13 18:45, EMB wrote:
>> On 13/08/2013 11:18 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>

>>> I've always liked command line, as you can do things there easily that
>>> you
>>> can't from elsewhere (eg save a directory listing to a file).
>>>

>> Powershell good Sir. The DOS prompt of the future, and you can write
>> your own commandlets for it.
> >

>....and it has 'ls', 'man', 'grep' and a host of other useful commands!

... then even better.

Thanks

Frank Williams

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 23:00:07 GMT,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <kucklp$35j$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 13/08/2013 11:18 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> I've always liked linecommand , as you can do things there easily that you
>>> can't from elsewhere (eg save a directory listing to a file).

I can PowerDesk 9 the thing they left out of Windows, so no crappy
command line, I can pint/save the full file name and also the full path
directory, has a great search tool etc etc.

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/softwar...k-pro-9-500373

I got my copy on special from BitsDuJours a one day special $39.16nz,
been using it for many years so decided to get as real copy, I think it
goes back to WIN 98 or even before.

>>Powershell good Sir. The DOS prompt of the future, and you can write
>>your own commandlets for it.

>Thanks. Will investigate.

Enkidu

On 14/08/13 11:00, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <kucklp$35j$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 13/08/2013 11:18 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> I've always liked command line, as you can do things there easily that you
>>> can't from elsewhere (eg save a directory listing to a file).

>> Powershell good Sir. The DOS prompt of the future, and you can write
>> your own commandlets for it.

> Thanks. Will investigate.

It's undoubtedly the best thing to come out of Microsoft for some time.
Who did they steal it from?

Cheers,

Cliff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <520b5228$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 14/08/13 11:00, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>> Powershell good Sir. The DOS prompt of the future, and you can write
>>> your own commandlets for it.

>> Thanks. Will investigate.
>>

>It's undoubtedly the best thing to come out of Microsoft for some time.
>Who did they steal it from?

... could have been a cock up ? Do the developers still work for MS ?

My favourite quote related to MS ...

The day MS produces a product that does not suck will be the day they start
making vacuum cleaners.

Frank Williams

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 23:16:48 GMT,
wrote:

>In article <520b5228$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thanks. Will investigate.
>>>

>>It's undoubtedly the best thing to come out of Microsoft for some time.
>>Who did they steal it from?

>.. could have been a cock up ? Do the developers still work for MS ?
>
>My favourite quote related to MS ...
>
>The day MS produces a product that does not suck will be the day they start
>making vacuum cleaners.

This will kill most copy rename APPs

Total Commander

http://www.ghisler.com/