Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > File Comparison method Question.

File Comparison method Question.

Dave Doe

In article <52008f1c$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
Enkidu says...

> On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> In article <ktmpbi$r5j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >> (E-Mail Removed), Bruce Sinclair
> >> says...
> >> sure

> >> Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But
> >> the nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does
> >> not. (IE robocopy is a command line utility - open a command
> >> prompt and type robocopy to test )

> > Some of us are still using XP.
> >
> > And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
> > command line access <sigh>. But thanks for that.
> >

> Huh?
>
> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

You meant <Win><r>, eh?

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

In article <5200d0b8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
Enkidu says...

> On 06/08/13 19:34, EMB wrote:

> >> Huh?
> >>
> >> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

> > Not if I locked it down as a corporate image.....
> >

> That's a bit severe.

- and what IT support are for
(what's joe work user *doing* copying a million files? )

--
Duncan.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <52008f1c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
>> command line access <sigh>. But thanks for that.
>>

>Huh?
>
>ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

... unless ... your corporate has removed that option ?

"The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator".

Yes, I will try that on a home machine.

Thanks

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <ktpf53$49h$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) , Bruce Sinclair
>says...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >In article <ktmpbi$r5j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >(E-Mail Removed) , Bruce Sinclair
>> >says...
>> > sure

> of

>> >Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But the
>> >nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does not. (IE
>> >robocopy is a command line utility - open a command prompt and type
>> >robocopy to test )

>> Some of us are still using XP.
>>
>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no command
>> line access <sigh>.
>> But thanks for that.

>I think robocopy (command line util), robocopy GUI and richcopy all work
>on XP - they're all quite old now - pretty sure they were all around
>before Vista/7.

Richcopy certainly does.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
>>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
>>> complete!)

>> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
>> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are
>> you sure you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and
>> with still most of it to go.
>>
>> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
>>

> Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
> options set and then go to bed.

I've only just got around to doing this - and decided to use my (ageing)
desktop as, for this copy I'm using one USB2 drive and one USB3 and the
PCIe -> USB3 card in the desktop seems more reliable than the (also
DealExtreme-sourced) USB3 Expresscard in the T60. (Although I guess in this
case I might just as well only use the USB2 ports - although I'm reading
from 2 and writing to 3 so thought it might be quicker to have the
destination drive in a USB3 port.)

It's quite fascinating watching a 'smart' copy utility in action. The
desktop is running Win 7 Pro and 6GB RAM and I'm copying with Task Manager
open and watching the 'Performance' tab. (I did this after seeing the
'Progress' column in RichCopy freeze periodically coinciding with no LED
activity on the source drive for ~30 seconds.)

It seems that that progress column actually shows the progress of the /read/
part of the operation. By watching the activity LEDs on the externals and
the physical memory in use graph I see that RichCopy is reading in roughly
1GB chunks from the (USB2) source, storing them in system memory, then
writing them to the (USB3) destination drive.

Thanks again for this, it's looking good so far.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

Enkidu

On 07/08/13 01:48, Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <52008f1c$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Enkidu says...
>>
>> On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>> Some of us are still using XP.
>>>
>>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
>>> command line access <sigh>. But thanks for that.
>>>

>> Huh?
>>
>> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

> You meant <Win><r>, eh?

Yup, but it appears that Bruce is using a crippled machine.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 07/08/13 01:50, Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <5200d0b8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Enkidu says...

>>> Not if I locked it down as a corporate image.....
>>>

>> That's a bit severe.

> - and what IT support are for
> (what's joe work user *doing* copying a million files? )

Our users would try that using a GUI, so what?

There's not a lot that you cannot do with a GUI that you can do on the
command line.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 07/08/13 11:06, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <52008f1c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>

>>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
>>> command line access <sigh>. But thanks for that.
>>>

>> Huh?
>>
>> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

> .. unless ... your corporate has removed that option ?
>
> "The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator".
>
> Yes, I will try that on a home machine.

Well, I haven't administrated Windows for ages, but that seems over the
top to me. I browsed around a bit, but didn't find anything about *why*
it is a good idea to disable it. At one time the argument was that the
user could disable virus protection, but I don't believe that that is
necessary these days.

Why is it considered good practise? Wouldn't it stop scripts running at
boot and login time?

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 07/08/13 11:07, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>> I think robocopy (command line util), robocopy GUI and richcopy all work
>> on XP - they're all quite old now - pretty sure they were all around
>> before Vista/7.

> Richcopy certainly does.

I'm pretty sure robocopy was around before XP. Yep, it was around in
NT4.0 days as part of the Windows Resource Kit, says Wikipedia.

Cheers,

Cliff

Seagull

"EMB" wrote in message news:ktnq9q$ekh$(E-Mail Removed)...

On 5/08/2013 1:38 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> Robocopy*does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But the
> nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does not. (IE
> robocopy is a command line utility - open a command prompt and type
> robocopy to test )

RichCopy != RobocopyGUI

Ok so I thought this Rich Copy sounds like it is worth trying so I googled
"download Rich Copy"
I clicked on Download.com reference and got this file.
Cbsidlm-tri_13-RichCopy-ORG-7575281.exe

Whoa! What is this Cbsidlm bit ? I do not like the look of it!
Google can't tell me, but I hope it ties the file to their sneaky downloader
install program.
Can someone confirm please?
Meanwhile I have an alternate download from another file repositry.