Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Just WHAT is the meaning of THIS?!..

Just WHAT is the meaning of THIS?!..

thekmanrocks@gmail.com

On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:53:24 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
> On 8/9/2013 9:44 AM, wrote:
>
> > Paul:

> > Just went into a Staples the other day and the Tech guy showed me how to bring up the normal looking desktop:

> > Just click the square labeled "Desktop"! No need to download 3rd party anything.

> If someone tells you all the tricks, it's great.
>

> But if one of those Metro apps starts for some
>
> reason, you could still be in for a surprise.
>
> (Because there's no "X" on it, to dismiss it.)
>
> To me, that's just bad design. A dual-mode OS needs
>
> two escape routes for Houdini Not just the one.
>
> Even if they'd bound the "escape" key to an escape
>
> like function, that would have been better than
>
> nothing.
>

> Paul

___________

My point was it is right under our noses. No 3rd party anything required.

On the other hand, when you are in Windows 8's "traditional" desktop(as we've come to know the past 18 years), clicking "Start" leads back to the dog's breakfast - instead of a tree as it does in 7 and editions prior.

-The K-Man

Robert Baer

> On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:53:24 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
>> On 8/9/2013 9:44 AM, wrote:
>>
>>> Paul:

>>> Just went into a Staples the other day and the Tech guy showed me how to bring up the normal looking desktop:

>>> Just click the square labeled "Desktop"! No need to download 3rd party anything.

>> If someone tells you all the tricks, it's great.
>>

>> But if one of those Metro apps starts for some
>>
>> reason, you could still be in for a surprise.
>>
>> (Because there's no "X" on it, to dismiss it.)
>>
>> To me, that's just bad design. A dual-mode OS needs
>>
>> two escape routes for Houdini Not just the one.
>>
>> Even if they'd bound the "escape" key to an escape
>>
>> like function, that would have been better than
>>
>> nothing.
>>

>> Paul

> My point was it is right under our noses. No 3rd party anything required.
>
> On the other hand, when you are in Windows 8's "traditional" desktop(as we've come to know the past 18 years), clicking "Start" leads back to the dog's breakfast - instead of a tree as it does in 7 and editions prior.
>
> -The K-Man

Well, be advised that dogs tend to "place their marker" on trees.