Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > COMPUTER STALLS AT BIOS BAR AT START UP

COMPUTER STALLS AT BIOS BAR AT START UP

METEORE

Hi again experts,

I have this six year old computer running on Vista.
I start computer and when it starts initially, it shows bios no. etc with a blank bar underneath it.
The blank bar fills up halfway and computer stalls. Computer won't start up. I push computer button to restart and then it works.
I recently removed a lot of old programs.
I tried defragment option after I got it started again. It did not solve problem.
What is causing computer to stall on startup?

Meteore

Paul

METEORE wrote:
> Hi again experts,
>
> I have this six year old computer running on Vista.
> I start computer and when it starts initially, it shows bios no. etc with a blank bar underneath it.
> The blank bar fills up halfway and computer stalls. Computer won't start up.
> I push computer button to restart and then it works.
> I recently removed a lot of old programs.
> I tried defragment option after I got it started again.
> It did not solve problem.
> What is causing computer to stall on startup?
>

> Meteore

http://support.dell.com/support/syst...m_en/specs.htm

"AMD Athlon 64 processor
Nvidia GeForce 6150LE (integrated graphics)

Diagnostic lights
four lights on the front panel (see Diagnostic Lights.)"

The diagnostic lights on the front panel may show a code, but
that far along in the boot process, it would likely indicate
all is well. Check for any pattern on the LEDs, when the
boot stalls.

*******

The OS may be doing a boot repair on the second start. That
might be the reason it is starting. It might be indicating
a problem with some portion of the boot files.

Defragmenting a broken computer, achieves nothing. Defragmenting
is for performance improvement (more speed). It doesn't fix
a broken computer.

CHKDSK is a command that repairs file system problems, but then,
your computer does eventually run, so the file system is not
that broken. CHKDSK is still a good tool to use, but I don't
expect the symptoms to change if you use it.

*******

Dell has a diagnostic package. You can try the top one. I expect
it runs from Windows. (Dell might also have a version that runs
as a boot option.) It's not likely to figure out the problem,
but it may indicate something isn't quite right. I'm hoping,
at the very least, it'll tell you about hard drive SMART stats.
An alternative, is the free version of HDTune (2.55), which
has a Health tab for the hard drive.

http://ftp.dell.com/Browse_For_Drive...1/#Diagnostics

*******

You can run System File Checker (SFC).
But since your system starts eventually, again, I don't
see this doing anything.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...c-command.html

*******

We would need some means of catching an Event in the Event Viewer,
for whatever is upsetting it. And there is no guarantee that
Event Viewer is even accepting writes at this point in time.

There are some registry flags that can be set, to do a form
of boot logging (no, not ntbtlog, instead dumps events in
event viewer), but the information they provide is virtually
useless to end users. And clicking any link in such events,
to get "more info" from Microsoft, usually results in absolutely
nothing coming back. (Meaning, the feature hasn't seen the error
before, or there is no log of it, or it isn't unique enough to
make any comment of value.) It seems, for whatever reason, that
OEM PCs have those flags set. A user who installed Vista at
home, likely would not have that feature enabled for them.

So you may already have a bunch of #100 or #400 events in the
Event Viewer. (But with very low odds of being able to make
sense of them.)

*******

Someone here, CHKDSK found some bad clusters on the disk. Implying
the disk should be replaced. I don't have any way to judge right
now, whether that could be it. Bad clusters don't go away when
you press the power button, and if this was the problem, the
boot would do exactly the same thing every time. It's the fact
you can escape by cycling the machine, that is puzzling. Either
something is (temporarily) repaired, or it's falling back to
a "last known good" boot. Like the registry is damaged or something.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help...safe-mode.html

Really need to look over the Event Viewer *carefully* .

*******

I guess this one is just outside my pay scale...

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"METEORE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi again experts,
>
> I have this six year old computer running on Vista.
> I start computer and when it starts initially, it shows bios no. etc with
> a blank bar underneath it.
> The blank bar fills up halfway and computer stalls. Computer won't start
> up. I push computer button to restart and then it works.
> I recently removed a lot of old programs.
> I tried defragment option after I got it started again. It did not solve
> problem.
> What is causing computer to stall on startup?
>

> Meteore

It's difficult to say, but one idea is that the boot sector is on the way
out.

BIOS is the basic instruction set that resides inside the motherboard. You
see the progress as the DOS screen that fills with things like the
population of drives, the memory checks, these kinds of things. You can have
a problem with the memory addressing, and memory (RAM) can be a problem. You
can isolate this by removing one of the RAM modules, or all but one, and
booting the machine. Repeat the test with each RAM module one at a time in
Slot 0, or Slot 1 (depending on how the slots are identified). If there is a
bad RAM module, then the computer should hang on that one, but boot
successfully on the others.

When the BIOS finishes, it goes out to the hard drive for boot information,
which then hands off to Windows to launch the operating system. If the boot
sector is bad, then the computer will hang, and of course Windows files can
be corrupted and fail to load, and this will also appear on your side of the
monitor as a hang.

Depending on how you removed programs, and which ones, you might have
removed a critical file that the OS needs. It, the OS, is looking for the
XYZDriver, whatever, and it's gone.

Jeff Strickland

Paul,
What about a weak power supply?

On the first try, the power supply has not come up by the time a
system/component needs whatever voltage should be there, but by the time the
second try comes along the power supply is all warmed up and responds
faster, and the system/component that should have come up the first time has
the power it needs to come up the second so the boot attempt is successful.

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> Paul,
> What about a weak power supply?
>
> On the first try, the power supply has not come up by the time a
> system/component needs whatever voltage should be there, but by the time
> the second try comes along the power supply is all warmed up and
> responds faster, and the system/component that should have come up the
> first time has the power it needs to come up the second so the boot
> attempt is successful.

One way to check that theory, would be to see if the system behaves
the same whether "hot" or "cold" (first start in the morning).

When I had a power supply failure, there was a "sizzling sound" that
happens for the first 30 seconds. After that sound stops, it could
run all day long. Eventually, it crashed with a BSOD in the 30 second
interval. The OP is seeing no crash, which is why I suspect the software
is running just fine, but has run into an anomaly it cannot handle or
fix. Like say, a bad cluster on a disk.

What we really need, is some kind of log. And hope the anomaly actually
generates a log event. A silent failure, you won't be able to debug
that, without testing hardware piece by piece.

Paul

- Bobb -

"METEORE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi again experts,
>
> I have this six year old computer running on Vista.
> I start computer and when it starts initially, it shows bios no. etc with
> a blank bar underneath it.
> The blank bar fills up halfway and computer stalls. Computer won't start
> up. I push computer button to restart and then it works.
> I recently removed a lot of old programs.
> I tried defragment option after I got it started again. It did not solve
> problem.
> What is causing computer to stall on startup?
>

> Meteore

Clean fan ??
You didn't tell us name brand but, in BIOS you might have option to " CHECK
FAN SPEED" and if fan is dirty or getting old it might not start up quick
enough. Go into BIOS and turn that off. To do so, depending on make, you
can either press F1 or DEL key at beginning to see info as it boots rather
than ... the Compaq logo for instance. scroll through the screens until you
see startup options.
If not a hardware guy, buy a small paintbrush to clean fan, some compressed
air or vacuum cleaner to disturb, remove the dust from around the case and
let it sit a while. See if that then starts OK.

rogpop001@gmail.com

DEll e521 Dimension is now working normally. I did not do anything special, except change msconfig to top prompt (Run normally), dl java and used tools to recheck hard drive etc under computer icon.
Thank you all for your help.
meteore

rogpop001@gmail.com

Hi again,

I thought I had solved the problem, but it reocurred.
Thanks to Paul's post, after attempting to log on to computeras a admistrater, I d/l the latest bios version for my computer and it booted up six times in a row without stalling.

I think problem is now solved.

Roger

Robert Baer

> Hi again,
>
> I thought I had solved the problem, but it reocurred.
> Thanks to Paul's post, after attempting to log on to computeras a admistrater, I d/l the latest bios version for my computer and it booted up six times in a row without stalling.
>
> I think problem is now solved.
>
> Roger

Should have kept quiet..it may have heard you and will start fooing
again...