Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Can you transfer key presses with Skype?

Can you transfer key presses with Skype?

Roger Mills

On 23/07/2013 01:40, Graham. wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 23:07:48 +0100, Roger Mills<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 22/07/2013 21:42, alexd wrote:

>> Yes, all the digits - including zero - work both when setting up a call
>> and in-call. Star and hash both work when setting up a call but *not*
>> in-call.

> There used to be a lot of BT payphones that were perfectly capable of
> dialling DTMF whilst in a call, but not * and # because the buttons
> were simply not there.

In my case, the (on-screen) buttons are there but they don't bleep when
you press them in-call, and they obviously don't get transmitted because
they don't produce the desired response.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Graham.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:36:29 +0100, Roger Mills <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 23/07/2013 01:40, Graham. wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 23:07:48 +0100, Roger Mills<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 22/07/2013 21:42, alexd wrote:

>>> Yes, all the digits - including zero - work both when setting up a call
>>> and in-call. Star and hash both work when setting up a call but *not*
>>> in-call.

>> There used to be a lot of BT payphones that were perfectly capable of
>> dialling DTMF whilst in a call, but not * and # because the buttons
>> were simply not there.
>>

>In my case, the (on-screen) buttons are there but they don't bleep when
>you press them in-call, and they obviously don't get transmitted because
>they don't produce the desired response.

I would still be inclined to confirm that beyond doubt by calling
another phone and listening for the tones as the called party. The
"bug" might just be generating local confidence tones.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Roger Mills

On 23/07/2013 12:56, Graham. wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:36:29 +0100, Roger Mills<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> In my case, the (on-screen) buttons are there but they don't bleep when
>> you press them in-call, and they obviously don't get transmitted because
>> they don't produce the desired response.

> I would still be inclined to confirm that beyond doubt by calling
> another phone and listening for the tones as the called party. The
> "bug" might just be generating local confidence tones.

I'm not quite sure what that would achieve. I can't call to a number
which I own without having some Skype credit.

I did the same test as you, by dialling 0800 144 144 and then pressing
*8 and 03 to select different language/French

When I did it from Skype running on my PC it worked fine. When I did the
same thing on my Android tablet, it didn't. The fact that it didn't
recognise the * key was terminal. Whether or not it received the numeric
keys doesn't really matter - because without the * I can't do anything!

It has at least avoided the need to buy Skype credit in order to test
whether I can access my answering machine using he Android tablet.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Graham.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:31:10 +0100, Roger Mills <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 23/07/2013 12:56, Graham. wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:36:29 +0100, Roger Mills<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> In my case, the (on-screen) buttons are there but they don't bleep when
>>> you press them in-call, and they obviously don't get transmitted because
>>> they don't produce the desired response.

>> I would still be inclined to confirm that beyond doubt by calling
>> another phone and listening for the tones as the called party. The
>> "bug" might just be generating local confidence tones.
>>

>I'm not quite sure what that would achieve. I can't call to a number
>which I own without having some Skype credit.
>
>I did the same test as you, by dialling 0800 144 144 and then pressing
>*8 and 03 to select different language/French

Actually I could call my own phone using that very 0800 number because
I have an account number and PIN for the BT Chargecard service.

I have had it for over 20 years, lost the actual card years ago but
the 17 digits were long ago committed to memory. Not that I use it
often.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 23:29:13 +0100, Roger Mills <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I currently only use free Skype from my laptop, to contact other Skype
> users, and have never bought any credit.
>
> I'm aware that I could also ring landlines or mobile phones belonging to
> non-Skype users, were I to buy some credit.
>
> I'm wondering whether I could then ring my home number while away from
> home, to access the messages on my answering machine. If I do this from
> a normal phone, I first have to press the star key to interrupt the
> outgoing message, and then enter some digits for a numerical password.
>
> Is it possible to do this from the computer running Skype, or can I only
> make pure voice calls? This would be useful in cases where I have WiFi
> access and would avoid having to make a potentially expensive
> (particularly if overseas) call using a mobile.

I'm not sure what you have to press - my Skype client for Windows does not
have a keypad, or maybe I just haven't found it. However I have a Binatone
USB handset with a keypad and so I made your test by placing a call to the
Skype Echo / Sound Test Service (Skype name echo123) and listened to the
playback of those key presses and all 12 pressed buttons played back fine.

http://www.starcomputers.co.uk/?p=vi...=85&prev_id=62

Graham.

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:42:51 +0100, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Graham. (for it is he) wrote:
>
>> I have had it for over 20 years, lost the actual card years ago but
>> the 17 digits were long ago committed to memory. Not that I use it
>> often.

>Dare I suggest that you post that anecdote to Usenet more often than you use
>the card?

That's my birthright, on account next month is the 60th anniversary of
my birth.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%