Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: RIP news.orcon.net.nz

Re: RIP news.orcon.net.nz

Frank Williams

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:17:48 +1200, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Orcon have announced that their nntp server will be switched of on
>Friday. Apparently the hardware needs replacement and Orcon cant
>justify the cost of the hardware or the cost of running it. Hardly
>surprising given that there are so few of us using it.
>
>I know there are a number of nntp servers out there, but I wonder if
>there are any NZ-based ISPs that still run one?

I thought that Actrix did..

The big problem is Data Storage that is the big reason and the emails
are the next, both these services need lots of storage..