Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which brand for Nikon?

Which brand for Nikon?

Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see brands
apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower, and Sigma
(a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper substitutes.

Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see brands
> apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower, and Sigma
> (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper substitutes.
>
> Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

for the most part, you get what you pay for.

check dpreview for tests on some of the better ones (they don't bother
with crap).

Sandman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see brands
> apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower, and Sigma
> (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper substitutes.
>
> Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

They're cheaper for a reason.

If you can't afford Nikkor, consider Sigma or Tamron. Both offer good
value for the money, but both still aren't as good as Nikkor.

For a decent superzoom, the Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 is a pretty
good choice.

For a short lens, the Sigma 28mm/1.8 is a really excellent lens.

Tamron also makes a really good 70-200/2.8 that can easily replace
Nikkors own.

I have one Samyang, and it's the 8mm fisheye one. Not terribly satisfied
with that one.

For a shorter zoom, there's the Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8, but I don't
have that one (I have the Nikkor 24-120mm/4)

--
Sandman[.net]

RichA

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:39:02 PM UTC-4, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see brands
>
> apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower, and Sigma
>
> (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper substitutes.
>

> Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

Optically, the Rokinon and its derivatives are very good, close to the Nikon lenses at between 1/3rd and 1/8th the price. However, you do give up some build quality and AF. The other higher end after market lenses are a question. If the Sigma's or Tamrons are 1/2 the price of the Nikon's, they are worth looking at, but not if they are 2/3rds the price, unless AF is a must.

otter

On 7/7/2013 10:39 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see brands
> apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower, and Sigma
> (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper substitutes.
>
> Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

The Samyang, Bower, Rokinon 14mm are all the same lens, built by
Samyang. Maybe Pro-Optic is too - not sure. This is a very sharp 14mm
lens, but it is entirely manual focus and aperture. It has complex
mustache distortion, but that is easily fixed with a lens profile for
LR/ACR or similar apps.

Let me just quote the summary from
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff...ang14f28eosff:

"Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED Aspherical UMC may be the surprise product of
the season. It's very affordable yet performing up there with the very
best big boys. However, it's not a flawless lens, of course. Its primary
strength is an extremely high resolution across the image frame combined
with minimal CAs. There're few if any lenses which can rival the Samyang
here which is nothing short of sensational for such an low cost product
(again - see the provided sample images if you question our findings).
There's a tiny bit of field curvature but it's really not overly field
relevant. The quality of the bokeh is also very decent for a lens in
this class. The huge bulk-like front element can produce flare problems
but we've seen a similar behavior with competing lenses including the
all-mighty Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 ED. The biggest weakness of the
Samyang is the rather extreme amount of complex barrel distortion
(mustache style) which is difficult to correct during post-processing.
If you're into architecture photography this will produce headaches.
Another problem is the rather hefty light falloff at f/2.8-f/4 although
that's rather typical for an ultra-wide angle lens. Our sample had a
rather strange focus characteristic but once we were aware of the
infinity focus setting (see the introduction) the real world results
matched our lab findings.

The mechanical quality of the Samyang lens is surprisingly high. Most of
the main body is made of metal whereas you can feel the cost cutting
measurements in the plastic parts (front cap) but even so the quality is
very decent. To date Samyang lenses are purely mechanical beings -
there's no electronic coupling whatsoever. The EOS version does not
provide AF nor an electronically controlled aperture so the
compatibility is limited to the camera mount. This may be something to
get used to but it's probably an acceptable compromise regarding the
fantastic value of the lens. Hopefully we'll see several more wide angle
lenses by Samyang in the future - what about a small 18mm f/4 for
instance ? "

This was a review of the Canon version, but the Nikon version should be
similar. Note that this is considered an ultra-wide angle lens for a
full frame camera, but not terribly wide on a crop camera.

I have one, and like it. It is certainly worth the cost. Manual focus
is not that bad, even if using it handheld. Just set it on f/8, set the
focus a little shy of infinity, and the enormous depth of field will
take care of the rest.

David Taylor

On 08/07/2013 04:39, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see brands
> apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower, and Sigma
> (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper substitutes.
>
> Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

FWIW: I have the Tamron 10-24 mm zoom, and I've been pleased with it.
The coverage is good (so you aren't always changing lenses back to get
that 24mm shot). The focus was a little temperamental on my D5000 (DX
sensor), but much better (even though not perfect) on the D5200 (which
has a more advanced focus sensor).

I would consider Tamron again, and perhaps Samyang if I could tolerate
lack of automation. Try one in your local photo shop.
--
Cheers,
David

Mr. Strat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see brands
> apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower, and Sigma
> (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper substitutes.
>
> Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

You'll be best off to save up your money and stick with the
manufacturer's lenses. Over the long term, you won't regret it.

David Hare-Scott

Mr. Strat wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see
>> brands apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower,
>> and Sigma (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper
>> substitutes.
>>
>> Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

> You'll be best off to save up your money and stick with the
> manufacturer's lenses. Over the long term, you won't regret it.

Why? I am not trying to start a war, genuine question.

David

DanP

On Monday, 8 July 2013 15:06:02 UTC+1, Mr. Strat wrote:

> You'll be best off to save up your money and stick with the
> manufacturer's lenses. Over the long term, you won't regret it.

Nonsense. Manufacturer lenses cover a wide range in quality terms and some third party lenses offer better quality for money when compared with the original manufacturer's lenses.

What I regret is buying the kit lenses.

DanP

MC

Mr. Strat wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Looking at e-Pay website for a Nikon 14mm wide angle lens; I see
> > brands apart from Nikon such as Rokinin, Pro-Optic, Samyang, Bower,
> > and Sigma (a few of which I have never heard of) as much cheaper
> > substitutes.
> >
> > Anybody can give me any advice re these brands at all?

> You'll be best off to save up your money and stick with the
> manufacturer's lenses. Over the long term, you won't regret it.

Not true. OK, so you buy the camera, it is nice to have complimentary
kit. However, it is not always the case that the camera manufacturer's
lenses are any better than the third party stuff. Also, the "brand
leaders" will always add a premium to their lenses because they believe
that if a customer is going to buy into a particular brand, then those
customers are quite likely, and even happy, to buy their lenses,
regardless of price, especially if those customers believe they are
buying superior quality. However, the lenses by these "brand leaders"
are not necessarily that superior and often the third party lens
manufacturers have been known tol offer better quality at a far lower
price.

MC