Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > appearance matching

appearance matching

Dale

the ICC www.color.org currently uses CIE instrumental color matching
unless you opt to use the perceptual reference medium gamut in which
there is some attempt at appearance matching for certain applications

I could be wrong, it has been almost 20 years since I have been in the
business

anyways

the only two workflows/use-cases I can think where you would want
instrumental color matching are:
1) instrumental applications
2) input appearance same as output appearance

why not use CIECAM and allow for workflows/use-cases in which the input
and output have different appearance criteria?

you could allow the user to select the appearances and from there be
given appearance matching profiles to choose from

I know there is such a thing as "good enough" matching and perfect
matching and that sometimes "good enough" matching is "good enough" for
quality/price/time considerations

--
Dale

Dale

On 07/06/2013 08:28 PM, Dale wrote:
> the ICC www.color.org currently uses CIE instrumental color matching
> unless you opt to use the perceptual reference medium gamut in which
> there is some attempt at appearance matching for certain applications
>
> I could be wrong, it has been almost 20 years since I have been in the
> business
>
> anyways
>
> the only two workflows/use-cases I can think where you would want
> instrumental color matching are:
> 1) instrumental applications
> 2) input appearance same as output appearance
>
> why not use CIECAM and allow for workflows/use-cases in which the input
> and output have different appearance criteria?
>
> you could allow the user to select the appearances and from there be
> given appearance matching profiles to choose from
>
> I know there is such a thing as "good enough" matching and perfect
> matching and that sometimes "good enough" matching is "good enough" for
> quality/price/time considerations

there is also the issue that CIE only has 2 and 10 degree observers, right?

--
Dale