Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Samsung Galaxy Camera

Samsung Galaxy Camera

Sandman

Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales
girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.

I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's
Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My
iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the
game here.

Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.

So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
in this price range.

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

--
Sandman[.net]

dj_nme

On 5/07/2013 11:30 PM, Sandman wrote:
> Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales
> girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.
>
> I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's
> Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My
> iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the
> game here.
>
> Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
>
> So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
> in this price range.
>
> Any other suggestions/thoughts?

What about a Pentax Q7?
It's really tiny: some promo photos of it show it attached to some-ones
keychain along with the rest of their keys.
The Pentax website has that colour choosing thing and it seem to cost
about USD $500 with a kit-lens.
The Samsung Galaxy Camera looked intriguing to me, until it was pointed
out that it wasn't actually a phone with a huge camera module, but a
just a camera running Android OS with WiFi networking built in.

MC

Sandman wrote:

> Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The
> sales girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust
> them.
>
> I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my
> wife's Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture
> quality. My iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about
> stepping up the game here.
>
> Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
>
> So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at
> currently in this price range.
>
> Any other suggestions/thoughts?

I always thought of it as a "lady's" camera, to put in the handbag.
However, this then makes it pointless because they already have
one...their phone.
The Samsung Galaxy camera certainly does not sit between your P&S and
your wife's Nikon D80. It sits somewhere between your wife's mobile
phone and your P&S.

MC

J. Clarke

> Sandman wrote:
>
> > Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The
> > sales girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust
> > them.
> >
> > I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my
> > wife's Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture
> > quality. My iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about
> > stepping up the game here.
> >
> > Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
> >
> > So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at
> > currently in this price range.
> >
> > Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> I always thought of it as a "lady's" camera, to put in the handbag.
> However, this then makes it pointless because they already have
> one...their phone.
> The Samsung Galaxy camera certainly does not sit between your P&S and
> your wife's Nikon D80. It sits somewhere between your wife's mobile
> phone and your P&S.

There are four Galaxy cameras. Three of them connect to the cell
network--add Skype and they're phones. One of them is an
interchangeable-lens mirrorless. Where they sit depends on which model.

Paul Ciszek

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales
>girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.
>
>I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's
>Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My
>iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the
>game here.
>
>Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
>
>So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
>in this price range.
>
>Any other suggestions/thoughts?

The first Samsung Galaxy Camera I got a hit on was a 1/2.3" compact
superzoom with a lot of computing ability and too many megapixels on
the sensor. You could probably do better optically with a Lumix FZ150
or FZ200; the latter boasts a constant f/2.8 aperture across its zoom
range.

The more advanced Samsung Galaxy is a MILC. There are more lenses
available for the micro four thirds system that for any one of the
brands of MILC that do not share their standard.

--
Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
pciszek at panix | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
Autoreply disabled | --Ronald Reagan, October 26, 1984

RichA

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 1:35:59 AM UTC-4, dj_nme wrote:
> On 5/07/2013 11:30 PM, Sandman wrote:
>
> > Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales

> > girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.

> > I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's

> > Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My

> > iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the

> > game here.

> > Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.

> > So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently

> > in this price range.

> > Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> What about a Pentax Q7?
>
> It's really tiny: some promo photos of it show it attached to some-ones
>
> keychain along with the rest of their keys.
>
> The Pentax website has that colour choosing thing and it seem to cost
>
> about USD $500 with a kit-lens.
>
> The Samsung Galaxy Camera looked intriguing to me, until it was pointed
>
> out that it wasn't actually a phone with a huge camera module, but a
>
> just a camera running Android OS with WiFi networking built in.

Trouble is, the build quality of the Q10 and 7 are marked step down from the original Q. Despite the sensor's possible improvement.

J. Clarke

In article <krioag$lh4$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales
> >girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.
> >
> >I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's
> >Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My
> >iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the
> >game here.
> >
> >Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
> >
> >So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
> >in this price range.
> >
> >Any other suggestions/thoughts?

> The first Samsung Galaxy Camera I got a hit on was a 1/2.3" compact
> superzoom with a lot of computing ability and too many megapixels on
> the sensor. You could probably do better optically with a Lumix FZ150
> or FZ200; the latter boasts a constant f/2.8 aperture across its zoom
> range.
>
> The more advanced Samsung Galaxy is a MILC. There are more lenses
> available for the micro four thirds system that for any one of the
> brands of MILC that do not share their standard.

It's actually kind of surprising how well micro 4/3 is doing in that
regard--B&H lists 101 lenses for that system, including 4/3 lenses that
work with full function with an adapter.

However they list more than 200 that work with the EOS-M mount, most of
them regular EOS lenses that work with full function with an adapter.
The Canon M body though seems to be a bit of a dog in its current form.