Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Looking for DSLR selection recommendation

Re: Looking for DSLR selection recommendation

PeterN

On 7/2/2013 11:29 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> [...]

> I suspect that one of the recent Canon models would be
> best for your purposes. I'm a Nikon user, so I can't
> really suggest which Canon would best suit your
> purposes.
>
> It also sounds, from your descriptions, as if another
> low end Nikon would also be just about as useful. A
> D3200 would produce better images, particularly if you
> want to use a superzoom such as the 18-200mm. Nikon's
> 18-200mm is reputed to be the best such lens available,
> and the D3200 has a sensor that is equalled only by high
> end models. Because of your more or less "single use"
> pattern, the advantages of a D3200 might make it better
> than a Canon. (Normally, for general purpose use, two
> cameras that can use the same lenses would trump all
> else.)
>
>> I am wary of high megapixel cameras -- one of the problems I saw with
>> subcompacts was noise, which I think may be caused by a small sensor
>> subdivided into lots of pixels. Is this a false assumption?

> Just be aware that starting with Nikon's release in 2008
> of models like the D3 and D300 there has been a huge
> jump in sensor technology that affects noise, dynamic
> range, and higher ISO. And that increment was surpassed
> with another jump in 2010 with newer models with even better
> characteristics.
>
> Nikon has always tended toward better image quality at
> lower pixel counts. So their best models up through
> 2010 were all 12 MP sensors, but now the high end
> cameras are 18MP for the D4 and 36MP for the D800, and
> these cameras are unbeaten for high ISO, low noise, and
> high dynamic range. The lower end models of course
> aren't quite as good, but they also follow the trend.
> (A current Nikon D3200 or D5100 would be significantly
> better than the Canon 1D MII.)
>
> Here is a URL to a chart showing dyanmic range vs ISO, which
> is probably the most useful bar to judge image quality from.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Ch...II,D5100,D3200
>
> That graphs the Canon 1DMII, the Nikon D40, D5100, and
> D3200. Other models, both from Canon and Nikon, can
> significantly better the D5100 by as much again as it is
> over the older models, but not at prices even close to
> what you are interested in.
>
> Try clicking on different models shown in the list on
> the right side to get other comparisons.
>
>> I will probably also get a superzoom (my 18-200 disappeared with the
>> D40), so any recommendations on this are appreciated as well.

> That comment does tend to suggest that a Nikon D3200 or
> D5100 plus the Nikkor 18-200mm superzoom would provide
> the best images for the purpose you have. Weight that
> carefully against the general advantages though of
> having two bodies that use the same lenses, and in
> particular because the latest low end Canon models will
> also produce significantly better results at anything
> other than the lowest ISO settings. A modern low end
> Canon body might even cause you to stop using the older

The only issue I have with your mostly accurate comments are that my
18-200 Zoom was not a great lens. Mine produced low contrast, soft
images. It was OK as a walk around lens, for taking snapshots, and
family pictures, but that's about it.

If budget permits, and weight is a serious consideration, I would
consider a Leica B-lux. (Not a cheap camera, but produces excellent
images, up to about 800 iSO)

--
PeterN

PeterN

On 7/3/2013 8:36 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 7/2/2013 11:29 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>>> [...] particularly if you
>>> want to use a superzoom such as the 18-200mm. Nikon's
>>> 18-200mm is reputed to be the best such lens available,
>>> [...]

>> The only issue I have with your mostly accurate comments
>> are that my 18-200 Zoom was not a great lens.

> Note that my rather accurate assessment of the 18-200mm
> in no way shape or form suggested it was a "great lens"!
> It's just the best 18-200mm superzoom around, which means
> it is still a relatively poor lens.
>
> I've personally never owned one because of that.
>
>> Mine
>> produced low contrast, soft images. It was OK as a walk
>> around lens, for taking snapshots, and family pictures,
>> but that's about it.

> That is exactly what a superzoom is well known to be.
>
> I use a 24-120mm f/4G lens, and while I would really
> like a wider zoom range, I just can't live with the
> lower quality.

For wide angle work on my D800. I make do with my old Nikkor 20mm as a
fixed lens and 12-24 DX. I have even used my 10.5 semi fisheye.
I have not yet decided whether I will get a replacement, but if I do, it
will most likely be the 16-35. The 14-24 is better glass, butis a lot
heavier and will not accept filters, so I cannot use it for long
exposures. (Yes I know I can get an adapter and a series of ND filters.
But, I'm not sure that is a practical solution for me.

>> If budget permits, and weight is a serious
>> consideration, I would consider a Leica B-lux. (Not a
>> cheap camera, but produces excellent images, up to about
>> 800 iSO)

> I'm not sure which camera you are referring to, as I
> can't find anything about a Leica B-Lux and there are
> both V-Lux and D-Lux models (none of which I'm at all
> familiar with). Assuming you mean a Leica V-Lux 4,
> which has a 24x zoom... I think I'd stick with either
> the Nikon or the Canon.

Oops. I meant the D-Lux. I agree about the V-Lux.

--
PeterN