Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Hot Stuff

Re: Hot Stuff

David Taylor

On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:
> Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day
> celebration.
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg
>
> It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was
> fairly bright.
>
> After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all
> that bad.
>
> But ... What do you gurus think?
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better.
Or a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I
can see.
--
Cheers,
David

PeterN

On 7/3/2013 1:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day
>> celebration.
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg
>>
>> It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was
>> fairly bright.
>>
>> After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all
>> that bad.
>>
>> But ... What do you gurus think?
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley

> It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better. Or
> a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I can
> see.

I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

--
PeterN

Whisky-dave

On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 13:07:02 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
> On 7/3/2013 1:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:
>
> > On 03/07/2013 00:40, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> >> Tried my hand at shooting fireworks at the local Canada Day

> >> celebration.

> >> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Fireworks.jpg

> >> It was a longish exposure, about 4 secs, so the original was

> >> fairly bright.

> >> After a bit of Adobe tinkering, I'm told the result isn't all

> >> that bad.

> >> But ... What do you gurus think?

> >> Take Care,

> >> Dudley

> > It captures the atmosphere, but less exposure would have been better. Or

> > a smaller aperture. It's out of focus, which is the major defect I can

> > see.

> I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

Yes the sky looks a little to blue for a night shot, well I assume the firework display was at night. The bottom image does looks a bit burnt out and lacks colour. I couldn't find the EXIF data .

Was wondering whethe ryou use rteh firework mode as I think that purposely sets a longer exposure than would normally be used.

Pablo

Whisky-dave wrote:

<snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>

What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?

--

Pablo

http://www.ipernity.com/home/313627
http://paulc.es/

pensive hamster

On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
> Whisky-dave wrote:
>

> <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>
>

> What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?
>

> --
>

> Pablo

Its the new improved Google Groups.

No idea why they made it insert extra lines
in quoted text.

Pablo

pensive hamster wrote:

> On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
>> Whisky-dave wrote:
>>

>> <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>
>>

>> What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?
>>

>> --
>>

>> Pablo
>>

> Its the new improved Google Groups.
>
> No idea why they made it insert extra lines
> in quoted text.

It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to
use a proper newsreader?

--

Pablo

http://www.ipernity.com/home/313627
http://paulc.es/

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:33:10 -0500, Dudley Hanks
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I think it's overexposed. I don't see it as a focus issue.

>>Yes the sky looks a little to blue for a night shot, well I assume the firework display was at night. The bottom image does looks a bit burnt out and lacks colour. I couldn't find the EXIF data .
>>
>>Was wondering whethe ryou use rteh firework mode as I think that purposely sets a longer exposure than would normally be used.
>>

>I used aperture priority with no exposure compensation and the
>Canon f/1.4 50mm lens.
>
>Ended up shooting close to a hundred pics using everything
>from long manual exposures stopped down to f8 all the way to
>some shorter, nearly wide open pics at iso 800. Most came out
>like the one posted.
>
>As for timing, the event was a "family friendly" event,
>meaning it was a bit earlier than one might expect for
>fireworks (read dusk) so the kids could watch without having
>to lose too much sleep. That could explain the overly blue
>sky.
>Thanks,
>Dudley

I don't do fireworks photography, but the classic set-up is supposed
to be tripod, f/11, 4 seconds, set focus on infinity.

Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

J. Clarke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
> > Whisky-dave wrote:
> >

> > <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>
> >

> > What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?
> >

> > --
> >

> > Pablo
> >

> Its the new improved Google Groups.
>
> No idea why they made it insert extra lines
> in quoted text.

Because they could?

J. Clarke

In article <2013070309252277923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> On 2013-07-03 08:51:56 -0700, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> Its the new improved Google Groups.
> >>
> >> No idea why they made it insert extra lines
> >> in quoted text.

> > Because they could?

> ...because they want to kill Usenet and move the World to G+.

They're making the same mistake that Novell made--they're trying to take
on Microsoft without keeping their emphasis on their core competency.

PeterN

On 7/3/2013 1:14 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article <2013070309252277923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
>>
>> On 2013-07-03 08:51:56 -0700, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> Because they could?

>> ...because they want to kill Usenet and move the World to G+.

> They're making the same mistake that Novell made--they're trying to take
> on Microsoft without keeping their emphasis on their core competency.

Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

--
PeterN