Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Hot Stuff

Re: Hot Stuff

J. Clarke

says...

> On 7/3/2013 1:14 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> > In article <2013070309252277923-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> > savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> >> ...because they want to kill Usenet and move the World to G+.

> > They're making the same mistake that Novell made--they're trying to take
> > on Microsoft without keeping their emphasis on their core competency.
> >

> Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

No. The point is that they are muching up their search business, of
which groups is a part, while they're trying to move the world to
Android and their "cloud" crap.

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 15:55:15 -0500, Dudley Hanks
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 09:33:10 -0500, Dudley Hanks
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I used aperture priority with no exposure compensation and the
>>>Canon f/1.4 50mm lens.
>>>
>>>Ended up shooting close to a hundred pics using everything
>>>from long manual exposures stopped down to f8 all the way to
>>>some shorter, nearly wide open pics at iso 800. Most came out
>>>like the one posted.
>>>
>>>As for timing, the event was a "family friendly" event,
>>>meaning it was a bit earlier than one might expect for
>>>fireworks (read dusk) so the kids could watch without having
>>>to lose too much sleep. That could explain the overly blue
>>>sky.
>>>Thanks,
>>>Dudley

>>I don't do fireworks photography, but the classic set-up is supposed
>>to be tripod, f/11, 4 seconds, set focus on infinity.
>>
>>Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
>>over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
>>replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
>>because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

>Hey, Tony, I like that black card idea .... I'll have to try
>it next time.
>
>Take Care,
>Dudley

Some interesting compositions can be achieved since the image can
contain several bursts in different parts of the image.

This is a copy/paste from the web:

Once the fireworks begin, take some initial shots. You want to
anticipate the action. When you think a series is about to begin, put
the black cardboard or baseball cap over your lens and trip the
shutter. As the explosions begin, quickly pull back the cardboard and
let the camera capture the action. I like this technique because you
can control the cardboard faster than you can the camera. Digicams are
notorious for shutter lag, and what you need here is pure
responsiveness. Whoever thought that cardboard would outperform a
sophisticated digital device?

But wait, there's more. What if you want to create a multiple-exposure
shot that includes many bursts of fireworks? Just set the shutter to a
really long time, like 30 seconds, and then control the exposures with
the cardboard.

As the fireworks explode, move the cardboard aside. Put it back over
the lens until the next series appears, and then remove it again. This
way, you won't overexpose the image with the ambient light in the
scene; you'll record only the bursts of fireworks. What you're really
doing is creating a multiple-exposure shot. Try it; it's really fun.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

David Taylor

On 03/07/2013 22:38, PeterN wrote:
[]
> Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

No, so I use Thunderbird. Windows Live Mail doesn't do a good enough
job with replies and keeping to the accepted Usenet standards.
--
Cheers,
David

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Pablo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> pensive hamster wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
>>> Whisky-dave wrote:

>>> <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>

<snip even more whitespace>

>>> What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?

<snip sig>

>> Its the new improved Google Groups.

>> No idea why they made it insert extra lines
>> in quoted text.

> It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to
> use a proper newsreader?

- Being too stupid to choose one.
- Being unable to install or set up one (e.g. at work, where
you should, well, work!)

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[Fireworks]
> Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
> over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
> replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
> because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

You can also simply merge several firework burst images.

-Wolfgang

Whisky-dave

On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:51:58 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:
> pensive hamster wrote:
>

> > On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:21:48 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:

> >> Whisky-dave wrote:

> >> <snip more whitespace than there is in outer space>

> >> What do you do that squirts tons of blank lines into your posts?

> >> --

> >> Pablo

> > Its the new improved Google Groups.

> > No idea why they made it insert extra lines

> > in quoted text.

> It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to
>
> use a proper newsreader?

yes, when you are supplied with a controled computer where you don;t have the neccessary permissions to install the software you want.

I'm about to deploy something like 1,500 PCs running W8.
They will have pretty much the same software making it easier for systems as that seems to be the proirity. They seem to be in the processor of updating their site again last time (Fe. 2013) I looked they offered a course on XP for PC users.

So when your computer is locked down and you don;lt have administator privileges you use what you can.

Whisky-dave

On Thursday, 4 July 2013 14:35:21 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-07-04 06:14:16 -0700, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 14:51:58 UTC+1, Pablo wrote:

> >> It also fails to snip sigs. What a pile of crap. Is there any reason not to

> >> use a proper newsreader?

> > yes, when you are supplied with a controled computer where you don;t

> > have the neccessary permissions to install the software you want.

> > I'm about to deploy something like 1,500 PCs running W8.

> > They will have pretty much the same software making it easier for

> > systems as that seems to be the proirity. They seem to be in the

> > processor of updating their site again last time (Fe. 2013) I looked

> > they offered a course on XP for PC users.

> > So when your computer is locked down and you don;lt have administator

> > privileges you use what you can.

> ...and that might be a good reason when checking NG's while at work to
>
> avoid the pitfalls of being caught engaging in non-work related

Might be but generally not.
I gave teh teh option of me leaving the lab during my tea-breaks, then they can get someone els eto supervise the labs while I'm away.
Now considering I was working through some of lunch sending of a few orders.....
and to collect some stuff from teh post room in my lunch hour.
I also have emails from an academic thanking me for discovering on teh NG that some students were getting too much help in.

> activities when your employer expects you to to be doing what they pay
>
> you for.

What they pay me for is knowlegde and knowing what to buy and from where this included a camera.

Presently I'm looking for an Arduino based robot chassis, I doubt I'd get much help here but I'm reading the electronics ones and web sites.

The only reason I know about USENET is from private use.
Remove that and I'm just a useless administator who only reads the advertisers websites.

> However, you have made it clear that you use a Mac when not at
>
> work. Therefore, it would be reasonable to expect to find a proper
>
> Usenet client on your personal computer at home.

Which would you suggest not, that I really need one with facebook and email..

> Then you could do what
>
> most folks do, browse the newsgroups at home and respond on your own
>
> time.

I have little use for them at 'home'

> ...unless of course you are poaching your employer's internet access,
>
> and are too cheap to pay for service at home.

I pay around 39 a month for it at home.

I like to use whatever services at work that are availble to my level of staff and students, that's part of the job. No point me using something not availbe to others, my job is to instruct/help them.

And while typing this I've answered 5 Qs from staff/students, handed out sticky backed copper strips.
Perhaps one of teh reasons for odd lines appears is that sometime I leave this open as I go to do a particular job. Sometimes I'll come back in 5 minsbut sometimes it's the next day.

It's not like reading or posting to NGS stops me working.

PeterN

On 7/4/2013 2:33 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 22:38, PeterN wrote:
> []
>> Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

> No, so I use Thunderbird. Windows Live Mail doesn't do a good enough
> job with replies and keeping to the accepted Usenet standards.

I am using Thunderbird, but it doesn't handle multi-posted messages well.

--
PeterN

David Taylor

On 04/07/2013 17:42, PeterN wrote:
> On 7/4/2013 2:33 AM, David Taylor wrote:
>> On 03/07/2013 22:38, PeterN wrote:
>> []
>>> Does Windows 7 have a decent built in newsreader?

>> No, so I use Thunderbird. Windows Live Mail doesn't do a good enough
>> job with replies and keeping to the accepted Usenet standards.

> I am using Thunderbird, but it doesn't handle multi-posted messages well.

Yes, I've had to set up a filter to keep [SI] messages to just one
newsgroup. Apart from that, it's not generally been an issue, but it
would have been nice to see an improvement.
--
Cheers,
David

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:09:07 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>[Fireworks]
>> Bulb can be used instead of 4 seconds if you have a black card to hold
>> over the lens and take away the card to capture the burst and then
>> replace it. This can produce some interesting multiple exposures
>> because several firework bursts can be recorded on one image.

>You can also simply merge several firework burst images.

Yes, that can be done in Photoshop (and maybe other programs) by
bringing in additional images as new layers and changing the blend
mode to Screen on all but the Background layer to drop out the sky.
But, not everyone has Photoshop to work with.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL