Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The new 70D

The new 70D

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Like a shot out of the dark comes the wholly unexpected (by me, at least) 70D.
> More than 20 megapixels (although the fine print says maybe more like 19) and
> an autofocus system that appears to be at least the equal of the 7D. (But I'm
> guessing no AF microadjustment.) $1100. Comments, anyone?

dpreview claims it has AF microadjustment.

I think it's good that the xxD-series where the 60D was a
step down from the 50D has been lifted up again to serious
amateur levels. Even if that may hurt the 7D-followup ---
or it may gain most features of the 5D3 / 1DX on crop format,
which would be great for consumers.

I think we'll find out if the Dual Pixel CMOS AF is as great
as it sounds --- I guess they're able to bin both half-pixels
for photos, too. Canon will learn from any problems and
improve it for the next iteration. I guess this breakthrough
(if it works as well as it seems) will improve DSLR video and
probably come to consumer video cameras in good time.

I'm not perfectly happy about the continuous turnable mode
dial: I fear that could hurt blind setting --- back till the
stop and then N clicks forward. I may be wrong.

-Wolfgang