Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying new digital camera

Buying new digital camera

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:55:50 +0100, David Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 01/07/2013 15:48, Tony Cooper wrote:
>[]
>> If she owned a point-and-shoot using rechargeable AAs, and left the
>> batteries at home in the charger, she could have stopped in any store
>> and purchased regular AAs.

>I'm surprised that non of the "consumer rights" folk hasn't made a big
>fuss about having standard Li-ion batteries, to avoid the need for each
>manufacturer and every camera to have its own proprietary battery type....

If I buy a new Nikon DSLR, it's quite probable that the spare
batteries that I now own for my current Nikon, and the charger, will
not work with the new camera. I assume Canon owners face the same
problem.

Worse, though, is the printer ink cartridge situation. If your
printer goes out, it is uneconomical to have it fixed. Any ink
cartridges you have will not be usable in your new printer even if
it's the same brand.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 11:15:35 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-07-01 10:46:51 -0700, Tony Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> trending? you're behind the times. the itunes store is the #1 music
>>> retailer and has been for quite some time.

>> Trends are continuing movements. The trend from transportation
>> primarily by horse and carriage to automobile has pretty much ended,
>> but more recent changes continue as a trend.

>>> what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
>>> behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

>> The reason is not to prevent theft of batteries. The reason is to
>> devote just a few batteries to demonstration use and to be able to
>> keep those batteries fully-charged. Six demo cameras require six
>> batteries in use, but this store's system requires fewer than six and
>> they can be kept fully-charged. You pointed out in another post that
>> big box store display units often have flat batteries. The store
>> doesn't use a tether system, so the cameras have to be
>> battery-powered.

>I was in Target on Friday, and all their demo/display cameras were in
>anti-theft holders, on retractable cables and hooked up to a power
>supply system.
>...and they had a good 60+ cameras to choose from.

An excellent place to check for fit and feel of a p&s and see how easy
the menus are to go through. If the person wants information not
available at Target, the selection can be reduced to just a couple of
cameras and then go to the web reviews or a camera store.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

James Silverton

On 7/1/2013 11:27 AM, Jake29 wrote:

>> Point-and-shoots can be used for panoramas. It's software that
>> creates a panorama using a point and shoot*, and Elements will do
>> that. Elements would be worth having for other purposes. A tripod or
>> monopod is almost essential for a panorama. A panorama is better than
>> a wide angle shot with a point and shoot because the widest setting
>> can (not will) produce distortion at the edges. Shoot the panorama
>> images in portrait, not landscape.

> Thanks. That's good info about the panorama option, and about shooting
> panorama images in portrait rather than landscape. I had never tried
> panorama options before but have seen my niece do that a few times for
> photos at an ocean resort.

I've taken panoramas with P&S cameras without a tripod. When combining
with PS Elements you may lose a little at the edges because of small
deviations from verticality but it does not seem to matter.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

James Silverton

On 7/1/2013 3:46 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <kqo26i$gal$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jake29
> says...
>> Thanks. I'll definitely look for that about the viewfinder. I know exactly
>> what you mean about keeping the camera stable and being able to see what I
>> am trying to photograph on a sunny day without a viewfinder. I do get that
>> the viewfinder feature may just be in higher end cameras but I'll look for
>> that anyway and see what's out there.

> The problem is that viewfinders in cheap P&S cameras are
> horrible, especially if the camera has some zoom range.
> It's better to get a camera with a good LCD screen and
> no viewfinder.

An optical viewfinder beats guessing at just what you are photographing
in bright light.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> The behind-the-counter cameras are there without batteries. There are
> >> no on-counter cameras. When the customer is handed a display camera,
> >> the battery is added. Sometimes there is a delay because the needed
> >> batteries are in use by another clerk, but the potential buyer of a
> >> higher-end DSLR is not put off by this.

> >what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
> >behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

> The reason is not to prevent theft of batteries. The reason is to
> devote just a few batteries to demonstration use and to be able to
> keep those batteries fully-charged. Six demo cameras require six
> batteries in use, but this store's system requires fewer than six and
> they can be kept fully-charged. You pointed out in another post that
> big box store display units often have flat batteries. The store
> doesn't use a tether system, so the cameras have to be
> battery-powered.

theft by whom? if the cameras are behind the counter and only shown to
customers by staff, then who exactly is going to steal a battery?

> >anyway, those who are put off by that practice don't bother showing up
> >in the first place.

> What? If they don't show up in the first place, how would they know
> about the practice? Great thinking there, nospam.

maybe their friends told them of the stupid practices. or maybe they
stopped in one day, saw what's going on and then left.

as you said in the other thread, exact wording doesn't matter. except
when all you do is want to argue.

nospam

In article <2013070111153513512-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> I was in Target on Friday, and all their demo/display cameras were in
> anti-theft holders, on retractable cables and hooked up to a power
> supply system.
> ...and they had a good 60+ cameras to choose from.

i was in best buy earlier today because it was next door to another
store i was going to, and took a look at the camera section.

they were on tethers, but i'd estimate about 20-25% were non-functional
in one way or another, either missing batteries, no sd card and the
camera refused to do much without one or some other issue. some had
power cords, but most didn't.

i know that some cameras can disable the card requirement but i wasn't
there to shop for cameras so i didn't bother trying to figure out how.
they should be set up that way already.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> An excellent place to check for fit and feel of a p&s and see how easy
> the menus are to go through. If the person wants information not
> available at Target, the selection can be reduced to just a couple of
> cameras and then go to the web reviews or a camera store.

once you know what to look for in the menus, maybe.

that's where a camera store helps, they can explain how to do stuff,
rather than a customer trying to guess their way through on their own.

that's why i said go to a camera store first and see what's available,
then go to a big box store and use what you have learned while not
taking up a salesperson's time.

PeterN

On 7/1/2013 10:14 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> [...]
>>> seem to move. Is it all smoke and mirrors?

>> ritz camera stores were often busy too and look what happened there.
>>
>> even best buy is having troubles. every time i've been in a best buy
>> there's always been a line at the registers, so how could they be in
>> such financial difficulty?

> Best Buy's problems stem from their inability to compete with online
> sales because their store prices are higher than some online outfits
> and the stores don't offer offsetting advantages to the buyer. Part
> of this is due to their staff not being considered helpful to
> customers.
>
> The camera store in my example does offer offsetting advantages: an
> experienced and knowledgeable sales staff and a comprehensive
> inventory of a wide range of camera equipment.
>
> Best Buy is also so diversified in their product line that a downturn
> in one group of products can affect the numbers. They devote (at
> least in the store in my area) a large amount of floorspace to music
> and video, and that's a product line that is trending more and more to
> online purchases. The camera store's floorspace is devoted to only
> two markets: photography and hobbyists.
>
> Best Buy's problems are also due to stockholder's expectations of
> return and growth. The privately-owned camera store needs to make no
> decisions based on outsiders.
>
> Best Buy's problems are also attributable to their problems in their
> non-US stores. The overseas market is not responding as well as the
> domestic market.
>
> But, as an expert in everything to do with market share, you know all
> this. I don't know why I'm bothering to tell you.
>

>> could it be there's more to it than seeing cashiers ring up items? why
>> yes, it could.
>>
>>> They're losing sales of $100 point-and-shoots to the big box stores,
>>> and that must be where the money is. Right? They shouldn't be
>>> concentrating on $1,000 Gitzmo tripods when they could be selling a GE
>>> point-and-shoot for $49.00. Right? They shouldn't be following this
>>> DSLR fad thing, right?

>> people buy online now.

> Yes, they do. Also, people buy from brick and mortar stores. An
> unqualified statement like yours means nothing.
>
>> do they offer anything beyond handing you a box? if not, it's soon to
>> be curtain time. if they do, then more power to them. the only way
>> stores will stay in business is to offer additional value over the
>> internet sellers.
>>
>> the way you described it, with leaving the batteries out from the
>> display cameras, is not a way to win customers. that's why i said they
>> won't last long.

> The behind-the-counter cameras are there without batteries. There are
> no on-counter cameras. When the customer is handed a display camera,
> the battery is added. Sometimes there is a delay because the needed
> batteries are in use by another clerk, but the potential buyer of a

You are understating Best Buy, inadequacies.
Not long ago I went into one, ad stood looking at something, while two
clerks were just BSing with each other. Just for the heck of it, I want
to see how long it would take. In over twenty minutes five other
potential customers were looking at similar items. Not one of those
clerks bothered to even offer to try to help. On another occasion, I
asked what the difference ws between two models,. the clerk started
reading the label. In summary. poor management, terrible training. If
there is a checkout line, it's because the have a slow checkout person,
and that section too is understaffed.

--
PeterN

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:42:41 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <2013070111153513512-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
>Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> I was in Target on Friday, and all their demo/display cameras were in
>> anti-theft holders, on retractable cables and hooked up to a power
>> supply system.
>> ...and they had a good 60+ cameras to choose from.

>i was in best buy earlier today because it was next door to another
>store i was going to, and took a look at the camera section.
>
>they were on tethers, but i'd estimate about 20-25% were non-functional
>in one way or another, either missing batteries, no sd card

I don't recall ever seeing a display camera with a SD card. It's
kinda pointless because the SD card preserves the image taken and
would have to be formatted by the clerks after use. I don't think, if
I ran the store, I'd want images preserved for the next customer to
see. I wouldn't want some customer taking photographs of small kids
in the store and leaving them around.

An SD card in a demo camera in a big box store is inviting theft since
they can be easily palmed. Why anyone would bother is beyond me, but
people do strange things.

>and the
>camera refused to do much without one or some other issue. some had
>power cords, but most didn't.

It doesn't surprise me that not all stores do things right. Find the
Duck's Target. They seem to know how to do things right. If I'm in
the area, I'll check the local Best Buy. That's just one store as an
example, though.

>i know that some cameras can disable the card requirement but i wasn't
>there to shop for cameras so i didn't bother trying to figure out how.
>they should be set up that way already.

I think some will take a photograph and retain it with in-camera
memory, but I'm not sure. The last time I shopped for a p&s I brought
my own SD card.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:42:38 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >what's the point in that? who is going to steal a battery from a camera
>> >behind the counter? that just adds an unnecessary delay.

>> The reason is not to prevent theft of batteries. The reason is to
>> devote just a few batteries to demonstration use and to be able to
>> keep those batteries fully-charged. Six demo cameras require six
>> batteries in use, but this store's system requires fewer than six and
>> they can be kept fully-charged. You pointed out in another post that
>> big box store display units often have flat batteries. The store
>> doesn't use a tether system, so the cameras have to be
>> battery-powered.

>theft by whom? if the cameras are behind the counter and only shown to
>customers by staff, then who exactly is going to steal a battery?

What? I just said it *isn't* about theft.

>> >anyway, those who are put off by that practice don't bother showing up
>> >in the first place.

>> What? If they don't show up in the first place, how would they know
>> about the practice? Great thinking there, nospam.

>maybe their friends told them of the stupid practices. or maybe they
>stopped in one day,

That's showing up in the first place.